Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241844 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10410 on: March 22, 2021, 10:53:37 am »
Brewed a maibock on Saturday. It will be ready in May.

Was going to go enjoy the idyliic weather with  a dog walk at Rachel Carson and some 2nd Anniversary beers at Elder Pine, but my kid whined that she didn't want to spend her day doing that and my wife caved to her wishes. Maybe next weekend.

Yada

« Reply #10411 on: March 22, 2021, 11:34:23 am »
Brewed a maibock on Saturday. It will be ready in May.

Was going to go enjoy the idyliic weather with  a dog walk at Rachel Carson and some 2nd Anniversary beers at Elder Pine, but my kid whined that she didn't want to spend her day doing that and my wife caved to her wishes. Maybe next weekend.

Nothing like ending up with a few gallons of undrinkable Maibock!

brennser

« Reply #10412 on: March 22, 2021, 12:15:51 pm »
Based on the roads I drove to get there and the traffic on those roads I would not feel comfortable biking but maybe there are quieter access points - and I bike a lot

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10413 on: March 22, 2021, 12:20:36 pm »
I always think of maibock as a fall beer.

hutch

« Reply #10414 on: March 22, 2021, 12:31:44 pm »
I think of the post office and heavy dark beer

Space Freely

« Reply #10415 on: March 22, 2021, 12:41:29 pm »
Maibock is a traditional strong, malty Bavarian lager. Like the month for which it is named (“Mai” is German for “May”), it is a transitional beer, the perfect drink for the short Bavarian spring. In the Bavarian Alps, May is the brief season between the last thaw and the first bloom, when it is still too cool to linger in the beer gardens, but already too bright outside to hide indoors in the beer halls. Although brewed to bock strength—with about 6% to 7% alcohol by volume and a substantial body— maibock is light amber to deep golden in color. This sets it apart from the darker winter bocks, hence its other name, heller bock (pale bock). Maibock tends to be made from a base of pale pilsner malt with generous additions of Vienna malt, Munich malt, and/or other lightly caramelized malts. See pilsner malt. Compared with the winter bocks, maibocks also tend to have slightly more hop bitterness and hop flavor from noble Bavarian hop varieties. Most maibocks are still made by the time-honored and labor-intensive decoction method, during which portions of the main mash are drawn into a separate cooker and boiled there before being returned to the main mash. Decoction ensures optimum conversion of grain starches into fermentable malt sugars, which results in the desired high alcohol content. After fermentation, maibocks are allowed to mature and mellow out near the freezing point for 4 to 8 weeks for a well-rounded finish.

https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/QSXxX3A4yM/#:~:text=Maibock%20is%20a%20traditional%20strong,for%20the%20short%20Bavarian%20spring.

« Reply #10416 on: March 22, 2021, 12:45:33 pm »
Based on the roads I drove to get there and the traffic on those roads I would not feel comfortable biking but maybe there are quieter access points - and I bike a lot
That's why the question was directed towards you.   
5 miles on a bad road isn't even an option....heck 1 mile on a bad road sucks

Really only two roads from the bike path to get there...lots of big farmland/lots that don't have roads

They do have a cute cottage for rental, but two night minimum ;(
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:49:40 pm by Stingy-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #10417 on: March 22, 2021, 12:47:08 pm »
I always think of maibock as a fall beer.
Germans aren't to fancy with their names
Maibock is a May-bock
edit-I see Space put the full def there
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10418 on: March 22, 2021, 12:56:22 pm »
If asked, I will refer to this as the thing I learned today. Thanks!

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10419 on: March 22, 2021, 10:53:26 pm »
Second OHDC beer was m-u-c-h better than the first. There’s hope......

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #10420 on: March 25, 2021, 06:02:59 pm »
Surround Sound by Creative Arts is quite tasty.

WALKonBack

« Reply #10421 on: March 26, 2021, 09:55:48 pm »
It really is funny about sweet water tavern's beer and how that 99.9% of it is OK at best but then all of a sudden they have this one beer that's available and you can get pints of it, or a growler of it, and it knocks your socks off. So I say kudos too sweet water tavern and their beer.

Yada

« Reply #10422 on: March 29, 2021, 02:46:10 pm »

Space Freely

« Reply #10423 on: March 29, 2021, 02:55:39 pm »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNAx3TShlr7/

When breweries decide to ship to VA, DC, OR, and PA, how do they arrive at shipping to Oregon? It seems kind of random.

Yada

« Reply #10424 on: March 29, 2021, 02:59:00 pm »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNAx3TShlr7/

When breweries decide to ship to VA, DC, OR, and PA, how do they arrive at shipping to Oregon? It seems kind of random.

hahah... I posted the same thing in a different beer thread. I really don't know... I'm guessing some sort of easy unique booze transport law to those states.

Edit: More importantly, how do they skip MD!