Author Topic: The Music / Kasabian  (Read 8503 times)

Arlette

Re: The Music / Kasabian
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2005, 07:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by BLACKSTORM:
  Good show. Kasabian was the best by far. That first band was not good at all.
Totally agree.

The first band was awful.  Probably one of the worst bands I've ever seen at the Club, if not the worst.  That lead singer was......well, I was embarrassed for her.  

Kasabian were wonderful but they need to tone down the light show.  They were a bit (a lot) distracting.

Arthwys

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2005, 09:06:00 pm »
Sadly, yes I must admit that The Music's set that night was just not what it could've been.  That being said, I still love them, the albums are good, especially the 2nd one.  I could tell they weren't quite clicking together.  There was evena moment during one of the songs (i forget which) when Phil was desperately trying to pick up the pace and hoping the rest would follow his lead.  Which did not happen, so for a few measures they were totally out of sync.  Which isn't like them.  As for them looking like a bunch of high schoolers, it's cuz they're barely past that.  I think the oldest of them is 22 years old.  The chain struck me as a simple concession to having made a good deal of money on the first album, some small piece of bling that he fancied.  I've met them all and they seem pretty chill down to earth people.  

I expected good things from Kasabian, but was totally blown away!  I think the light show could've been toned down a little, but not by much!  I thought the multitoned yellowish ones were great, but too much strobe.  As for the music and the performance of it itself.  Oh my lord it was great.  The lead singer had major presence and the songs were tight.  It all came off as being effortless, and I couldn't help but thinking "these guys are  really rockstars.  Overall good night.

Morningwood was simply mildy amusing.  They would work much better in an extremely small dirty club in downtown NY or London.
Emrys

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2005, 09:59:00 am »
Not to poop on anyone's parade but after streaming most of Kasabian album it would get a 5.5 on the Kos-mo-meter. I see it getting up to around a 6.0, but right now it falls in that category of a good listen but nothing to get overly excited about.  Razorlight and Snow Patrol fall in the same range.

Would I DJ a track or two?  Yes its got that appeal.

Would I see them live?  Yes if they were paired with another band worth seeing.  

My crack team of Editors and Writers are currently finalizing the Kos-mo-meter system.  Ok Pirates are doing the actual work. Which is why it will take longer then expected, as they always get distracted.

<warning snarky comments ahead>

For maximum enjoyment of the Kasabian album, take it out of the CD changer and replace it with Primal Scream "Vanishing Point" and "XTRMNTR", New Order "Get Ready", David Holmes "This Film's Crap, Lets Slash the Seat" and any compliation with Big Audio Dynamite and Pop Will Eat Itself on it.

<warning even snarkier comment>

Didn't Arkarna already release this album?

What bugs me most about the album, is it's like a major label sampler where you start identifying which "new" artist was signed because they resemble another labels "hit" maker.  Each track is such a homage to another specific other bands sound.  I'm all for groups that wear influences on thier sleeves, but mix them up a bit, just not channel them one at a time.
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2005, 10:03:00 am »
oooooh, I like Arkarna!!!  thats a kick ass EP thingie they got out.....mmmmmm, 1998!!!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2005, 10:19:00 am »
Indeed "The Future Is Overrated"
T.Rex

Relaxer

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2005, 10:31:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

What bugs me most about the album, is it's like a major label sampler where you start identifying which "new" artist was signed because they resemble another labels "hit" maker.  Each track is such a homage to another specific other bands sound.  I'm all for groups that wear influences on thier sleeves, but mix them up a bit, just not channel them one at a time.
I think this is spot on to what I was thinking. All of the songs sound good and go down easily, but they remind me a lot of other bands and so it's hard to know what Kasabian really *sounds* like. And seeing them live explains why the Brits (well, the NME) are so crazy for them -- the two main guys look just like Liam Gallagher. The singer has the Definitely Maybe cleancut look and the guitar player is more post-Morning Glory shaggy.
oword