Author Topic: Congrats Vansmack!  (Read 7209 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Congrats Vansmack!
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2004, 06:03:00 pm »
Percival obviously doenst want a World Series ring!

ESPN.com news services
 The Detroit Tigers have signed Troy Percival, who spent his entire career with the Anaheim Angels, to a two-year, $12 million contract, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark is reporting.

The Tigers are expected to attempt to trade Ugueth Urbina, whose option they had picked up earlier in the offseason.

Percival became a free agent earlier this month, when the Angels elected not to pick up his 2005 contract option.

Percival, 35, is Anaheim's all-time leader in saves, recording 316 in his 10 years with the team. He owns a career mark of 29-38 with a 2.99 ERA and helped lead the Angels to a World Series title in 2002, converting all seven postseason save opportunities.

However, Percival spent time on the disabled list last season and finished fourth in the American League in saves with 33.

The team plans to make an official announcement at 4:30 ET today.

vansmack

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2004, 07:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

I'm just stoked Anaheim didn't give him $6 Million a year......so not worth it.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2004, 08:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  I'm just stoked Anaheim didn't give him $6 Million a year......so not worth it.
sports really sucks, when you have to route for a good player on your team to leave so he doesnt eat up payroll.

and then Fox makes some super lame story about it later in the year.....

ratioci nation

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2004, 08:23:00 pm »

just glad it wasnt the cubs

vansmack

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2004, 09:28:00 pm »
  sports really sucks, when you have to route for a good player on your team to leave so he doesnt eat up payroll.
What does that mean?  What about my sentence about Anaheim not paying Percival is rooting against Percival?  

I wish Percival would stay an Angel for his entire career, but not at that price.  What would you do:

</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Pay Francisco Rodriguez $375,000 a year for this year and next year and save the $12 Million Percvial wants, and use that to re-sign K-Rod for the three years after his current contract is up</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">  
 </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">or pay Percival $12 Million to set up for K-rod for the next two and not be able to afford K-Rod three years from now?</font></li>
 This was a no-brainer.  If Percy really wanted to stay an Angel, he could have taken the $3 Million offer to be K-Rod's set-up man or split closing duties.  You don't pay setup guys $6 Million a year.  Save the money now, give it to K-Rod before he hits the free-agent market.  Detroit offered Percy closer money and I'm happy he got it and the chance to remain a closer, and I'm glad Anaheim didn't.  

I'm going to love to see what you say about Pedro when some team ridiculously overpays him and he's no longer a Red Sox...or better yet, if the Red Sox are that team!
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2004, 11:08:00 pm »

I'm going to love to see what you say about Pedro when some team ridiculously overpays him and he's no longer a Red Sox...or better yet, if the Red Sox are that team!
that IS what i mean, exactly. I know you want Percival, but you don't want to pay him that much, and i want Pedro, but jeez should we really pay him over $15 million a year????

thats the point.  I am not rooting against a player, persay.  Take Derek Lowe for example, do i want to sign him for $10 million a year?  no, hell no. so we have to get rid of him, and that sucks cause i like him.

believe me, i wasnt being snide...i was sympathisizing.  me, more than anyone maybe, is going to have to see some faces part this winter...

vansmack

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2004, 04:50:00 pm »
He's all yours DC!!!!!!  Enjoy him for 5 months!

Angels to get Rivera, prospect

------------------------------------------------------
 Associated press

NEW YORK -- The Anaheim Angels have agreed to trade troubled outfielder Jose Guillen to the Washington-bound Expos for outfielder Juan Rivera and a prospect, The Associated Press learned Friday.

Anaheim and Montreal scheduled conference calls but did not announce the subject. Details of the deal were described to the AP by a person close to Guillen, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

"It was the best thing that could happen, taking into consideration the way things ended last season between us," Guillen told the AP from his home in Miami. "I'm excited to be a part of the Expos and part of history, now that we'll play in the U.S. capital."

Guillen was suspended for the last eight games of the regular season and dropped from Anaheim's playoff roster after he threw a tantrum in the dugout and clubhouse when he was removed for a pinch-runner on Sept. 25. In a grievance settlement, he agreed to allow the Angels to withhold two days' pay.

Guillen hit .294 with 27 homers and a career-high 104 RBIs in 2004. He is owed $3.5 million next season.

Angels general manager Bill Stoneman told Guillen of the trade.

"I don't have any hard feelings toward Anaheim," Guillen said.

Rivera hit .307 for the Expos with 12 homers and 49 RBIs.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2004, 05:39:00 pm »
are they re-building?

thats another guy today?  hmm, they are clearing their payroll for 3-year $45 million Pedro deal coming next week!

booradley17

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2004, 05:12:00 pm »

What does that mean?  What about my sentence about Anaheim not paying Percival is rooting against Percival?  

I wish Percival would stay an Angel for his entire career, but not at that price.  What would you do:

</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Pay Francisco Rodriguez $375,000 a year for this year and next year and save the $12 Million Percvial wants, and use that to re-sign K-Rod for the three years after his current contract is up</font></li>
   </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">or pay Percival $12 Million to set up for K-rod for the next two and not be able to afford K-Rod three years from now?</font></li>
   This was a no-brainer.  If Percy really wanted to stay an Angel, he could have taken the $3 Million offer to be K-Rod's set-up man or split closing duties.  You don't pay setup guys $6 Million a year.  Save the money now, give it to K-Rod before he hits the free-agent market.  Detroit offered Percy closer money and I'm happy he got it and the chance to remain a closer, and I'm glad Anaheim didn't.  

I'm going to love to see what you say about Pedro when some team ridiculously overpays him and he's no longer a Red Sox...or better yet, if the Red Sox are that team! [/b]

booradley17

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2004, 05:19:00 pm »
In regards to Troy Percival,I am not sure why anyone would pay him 6 million a year at this point.He has struggled with arm injuries and has lost some heat off his fastball.Once closers start to lose it they usually have a pretty quick decline.At 35 the Tigers are really rolling the dice on this one.Unfortunately there are almost no sure thing closers available this off season with the exception of(and I can't believe I am saying this)Armando Benitez whom the Marlins would be very wise to re-sign.