Author Topic: Critics Question the Fillmore Plans  (Read 6364 times)

Sage 703

Re: Critics Question the Fillmore Plans
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2007, 11:53:00 am »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
  M.I.A.'s agent & manager are intelligent

the vast majority are not

go look at the ticket prices at the Ram's Head...these are the results of bands deciding to play Baltimore because they were offered so much they couldn't say no and, when they looked at the ticket prices on the offer, decided that it didn't matter
What shows do you mean?  I don't notice a huge disparity.  Citizen Cope is cheaper at Rams Head if you buy in advance, and the same on the day of.  Dark Star Orchestra seems comparable.  The others don't really match up - but I guess I don't notice a huge difference in pricing between the 9:30 and Rams Head.

Shadrach

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:

go look at the ticket prices at the Ram's Head...these are the results of bands deciding to play Baltimore because they were offered so much they couldn't say no and, when they looked at the ticket prices on the offer, decided that it didn't matter
What shows do you mean?  I don't notice a huge disparity.  Citizen Cope is cheaper at Rams Head if you buy in advance, and the same on the day of.  Dark Star Orchestra seems comparable.  The others don't really match up - but I guess I don't notice a huge difference in pricing between the 9:30 and Rams Head. [/b]
Markets have a lot to do with ticket prices. Washington, DC is considered an A market and Baltimore a B market. There's far less competition for shows between Baltimore and DC because many bands will either choose one market or decide to play both. A venue in Silver Spring however, will compete directly with 9:30 for the same shows and it is far more likely to drive up ticket prices.

All that said though, it doesn't matter. For me, as a Maryland resident I'm furious that the elected officials refuse to allow open bidding for the planned venue and have commited $8 million in our tax-payer dollars to subsidize a project for a huge corporate player like Live Nation when other parties (like Seth) are clearly offering to save millions of those proposed tax-payer dollars.

930clubber

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2007, 03:59:00 pm »
Rasputina will play Music Hall of Williamsburg for $18.  $20 at 930.  Patti Smith is $25 here but $40 at the Bowery Ballroom.

Some unique acts may benefit from bidding wars that drive up their ticket prices while others benefit simply by having more capacity.  Chromeo is an example of the latter.  There's too many acts like Chromeo that don't come to DC when they do play NYC or LA or whatever because they have the capacity.  It remains to be seen whether Live Nation will expand representation of acts here or blindly compete for every act on the 930 booking list.  My guess is that answer is somewhere in between.

Originally posted by Shadrach:

Originally posted by callat703:

What shows do you mean?  I don't notice a huge disparity.  Citizen Cope is cheaper at Rams Head if you buy in advance, and the same on the day of.  Dark Star Orchestra seems comparable.  The others don't really match up - but I guess I don't notice a huge difference in pricing between the 9:30 and Rams Head. [/b]
Markets have a lot to do with ticket prices. Washington, DC is considered an A market and Baltimore a B market. There's far less competition for shows between Baltimore and DC because many bands will either choose one market or decide to play both. A venue in Silver Spring however, will compete directly with 9:30 for the same shows and it is far more likely to drive up ticket prices.

All that said though, it doesn't matter. For me, as a Maryland resident I'm furious that the elected officials refuse to allow open bidding for the planned venue and have commited $8 million in our tax-payer dollars to subsidize a project for a huge corporate player like Live Nation when other parties (like Seth) are clearly offering to save millions of those proposed tax-payer dollars. [/b]

azaghal1981

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »
Could Chromeo even fill up the black cat?
احمد

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2007, 07:27:00 pm »
here's a perfect example:

Ministry wanted too much money, in my opinion...would have necessitated charging more than the $25 we charged last time, which did just okay

Ram's Head gave it to them

Tickets are $30/35

930clubber

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2007, 09:21:00 pm »
no doubt for some popular acts, prices will go up.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2007, 12:26:00 am »
 Ministry wanted too much money, in my opinion...would have necessitated charging more than the $25 we charged last time, which did just okay

Tickets are $30/35
<temporary threadjack alert>
 just found out that this will supposedly be ministry's farewell tour.   tix for b'more are $30 + fees on TM, other tour dates  here ($53.50 + fees for NYC!).
 </threadjack>
<sig>

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2007, 10:58:00 am »
So what you're saying is that they're getting the extra five bucks  because it's their farewell tour?

On a side note, can I do a 9:30 board farewell tour and collect $5 from each of the 10,000 or so members?

Originally posted by sweetcell:

Tickets are $30/35
<temporary threadjack alert>
 just found out that this will supposedly be ministry's farewell tour.   tix for b'more are $30 + fees on TM, other tour dates  here ($53.50 + fees for NYC!).
 </threadjack> [/b]

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  Could Chromeo even fill up the black cat?
they've just added a second night in NYC at the bowery, after having sold out the first.  much bigger market, i know, but just sayin'.  and no, i have no idea who chromeo is/are, just noticed this in a newsletter.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2007, 12:34:00 pm »
Panda Bear filled up 2 Bowery shows and barely sold out the ottobar.

I think Chromeo would be lucky to fill up the BC.

P.S. You'd probably like Chromeo.

Edit2: Had RNRH on the brain. Oops.
احمد

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2007, 12:41:00 pm »
THIS IS NOT THE "JUST ANNOUNCED" THREAD!!!

saco

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:

On a side note, can I do a 9:30 board farewell tour and collect $5 from each of the 10,000 or so members?

I'm good for $20.

vansmack

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2007, 01:30:00 pm »
Do we really need another Rhett farewell tour?  You always seem to come back...
27>34

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »
For a 10K contribution into my daughter's college fund, I will make this my last post ever.

Originally posted by vansmack:

Do we really need another Rhett farewell tour?  You always seem to come back... [/b]

Shadrach

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »
Maryland residents who haven't already should sign this. Only takes a minute:

http://www.petitiononline.com/ifimusic/petition.html