Author Topic: First Week of May Rollcall  (Read 6021 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: First Week of May Rollcall
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2008, 08:48:00 am »
Originally posted by lily1:
 when are the tickets for saturday's crowded house show going on sale?
question was answered on page 1 of this thread.  or is this a shtick you're working?
<sig>

manimtired

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2008, 09:28:00 am »
langhorne slim was fantastic last night. picked up his new cd which is also fantastic. what a showman...

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mobius:

Originally posted by xneverwherex:

Originally posted by Mobius:
  The Verve at WaMU were great!
which night were you at? i heard the 2nd night was better from a few friends that saw both nights. I was only at the 2nd night and i'd say it was awesome! (save for me being dead tired). [/b]
I was at the Tuesday night show, about five rows back on the floor, between Ashcroft and Simon Jones.  Gave me a chance to appreciate Jones' unwavering enthusiasm and fine bass playing.  Reminded me of Mani.  

Some thoughts:  I thought pretty much every song was excellent, although some maybe didn't live up to their potential (the guitar seemed low in the mix at least early on).  But the show built momentum and the 'peak' at the end of Come On was mind blowing - I think literally.

Urban Hymns may be my favorite album of the era (kind of a yang to OK Computer's yin) so the emphasis on those songs was fine with me.  I saw Ashcroft at 9:30 in 2001 and he also played a lot from the album - but it was nice to see them played counterbalanced and fleshed out as they are supposed to be.   Ashcroft got all the credit when they broke here in '97-98, but everyone in the band brings something essential to the table.

Ashcroft was in fine form - he doesn't seem to have aged (none of them do) but the trademark thousand mile scowl from the last incarnation of the Verve has been replaced by a positive/spiritual presence (though thankfully he's got an edge back that seemed to have been lost in his solo days). [/b]
Couldnt agree with you more  :)  

I saw Im From Barcelona last night and it was a really awesome show (perhaps the exact opposite of the verve). lots and lots of balloons, too much confetti (can there ever be too much tho?) and just pure fun. Everyone was singing along, fans were on stage helping out with songs and the band was in great spirits. You cant help but smile when you see that band and dance a whole lot.

Now its time to get ready for tribeca film festival. so cant wait till this is over and i can have a normal schedule. and for whomever said theres no great films out there - while mainstream films may be lacking - the DC film fest was going on in DC and i heard there were some great films.

AFI Silver Docs is coming up! Cant go wrong.
HeyLa

Vas Deferens

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »
My vote for the ugliest frontman ever.

Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  I saw Im From Barcelona last night and it was a really awesome show (perhaps the exact opposite of the verve). lots and lots of balloons, too much confetti (can there ever be too much tho?) and just pure fun. Everyone was singing along, fans were on stage helping out with songs and the band was in great spirits. You cant help but smile when you see that band and dance a whole lot.

(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »
I could see them being super fun for maybe 20 minutes then quickly becoming unbarably annoying after that.
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »
That's about 19 minutes longer than I'd give them.

Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  I could see them being super fun for maybe 20 minutes then quickly becoming unbarably annoying after that.