Author Topic: U2 / MUSE in DC and VA  (Read 49797 times)

gaaaaaaaaah

Re: U2 / MUSE in DC and VA
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2009, 01:42:57 pm »
So, Bono took time out from campaigning to end world poverty to travel around the world with a stage that must cost more than many entire countries?

nkotb

« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2009, 01:56:45 pm »
"Those stadium shows may possibly be the most extravagant and expensive (production-wise) ever: $40 million to build the stage and, having done the math, we estimate 200 semi trucks crisscrossing Europe for the duration. It could be professional envy speaking here, but it sure looks like, well, overkill, and just a wee bit out of balance given all the starving people in Africa and all. Or maybe it?s the fact that we were booted off our Letterman spot so U2 could keep their exclusive week-long run that?s making me less than charitable?"

-- David Byrne hates on U2's tour. (via Byrne's website, via Stereogum, via Pitchfork, which is where I saw it)

So, Bono took time out from campaigning to end world poverty to travel around the world with a stage that must cost more than many entire countries?

Borealis

« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2009, 02:01:27 pm »
ok I work in an international development organization, have to tell you
just dumping 40$ mln on poor Africans will not make them any good, or building a stage like that in the middle of Sahara will not help either, so...

to make those money work for Africa Bono would have to quit his music and just do administrative work all day long, which I assure you, he would fail at anyway... so please let him do what he knows better
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:52:02 am by Borealis »

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2009, 02:05:43 pm »
ok I work in an international development organization, have to tell you
just dumping 40$ mln on poor Africans will not make them any good, or building a stage like that in the middle of Sahara will not help either, so...

to make those money work for Africa Bono would have to quit his music and just do administrative work all day long, wich I assure you, he would fail at anyway, so please let him do what he knows better
This was an incredibly difficult comment to read.
Periods and grammar are your friends.

"Those stadium shows may possibly be the most extravagant and expensive (production-wise) ever: $40 million to build the stage and, having done the math, we estimate 200 semi trucks crisscrossing Europe for the duration. It could be professional envy speaking here, but it sure looks like, well, overkill, and just a wee bit out of balance given all the starving people in Africa and all. Or maybe it?s the fact that we were booted off our Letterman spot so U2 could keep their exclusive week-long run that?s making me less than charitable?"

-- David Byrne hates on U2's tour. (via Byrne's website, via Stereogum, via Pitchfork, which is where I saw it)

Yea, I saw that.  Byrne is completely on point.  Any touring musician is putting (relatively) unnecessary strain on the world economically and environmentally, but that stage takes the cake.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:15:27 pm by gaaaaaaaaah »

fatskippy

« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2009, 02:06:03 pm »
That stage is spectacular and I can't wait to see it in person

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2009, 02:14:08 pm »
so please let him do what he knows better
I hope you're not referring to music, because any musical ability he had in the 1980's had completely dried up by 1993.

walkonby

« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2009, 02:20:06 pm »
I hope you're not referring to music, because any musical ability he had in the 1980's had completely dried up by 1993.

sometimes . . . you make sense.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2009, 02:37:44 pm »
<sig>

thirsty moore

« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2009, 06:31:19 pm »
We get it already, you couldn't get the U2 iPod and you're pissed.

Maybe a few of the 120 tractor-trailors that are being used for this tour could be re-tasked for the Fed-Ex show and serve as shuttles from the metro.

Borealis

« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2009, 09:40:12 am »

i was referring to showbisness
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:46:05 am by Borealis »

Borealis

« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2009, 09:44:35 am »
video about the stage setup

http://www.wired.com/video/u2-360-tour-preview/27992581001

linkage fail.

sorry, corrected

and sorry to whoever is offended by absence of periods (no pun, really)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:52:37 am by Borealis »