Author Topic: Anyone else check out Phish tonight at Merriweather?  (Read 12360 times)

walkonby

Re: Anyone else check out Phish tonight at Merriweather?
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 02:20:06 pm »
Phish is terrible shit. Bat For Lashes, while not my thing, is 500 times better than Phish.

yeah, they're shit . . . that's why they have only been a band for 21 years, sold over 8 million "studio" albums (not including the number in millions of live show albums off their website), hosted 7 three day festivals where only they played, have sold out every single show they have ever played, no matter what the size of the venue, regularly played 10 months of the years every year for 10 - 15 years, have the respect of many bands and guitar players from all genres of music ranging from bluegrass/country/rock/indie/rap, had their tickets scalped for as much as $1000 for just 1 of their shows, are only four people who can create such a sound that they do, are a jam band who have never covered a single dead song, rolling stone magazine called them the "most important band of the nineties," have a ben and jerry's ice named after them which donates part of the proceeds to a vermont charity, each band member formed their own succesful side project (some two), have songs on rock band video game, have a tickets by mail order process thus bypassing ticketmaster and livenation, have fan-run charitable organizations dedicated to music education for children which have announced two $5,000 grants a year, all members are mental giants who all have their doctorates, have received a lifetime acheivement award, a cult following in the millions by now that will tour with them no matter where they go, be it anywhere in the states or other countries, been on the simpsons.
No one's ever went broke underestimating the intelligence or taste of the American people. 80% of your argument could be copy+paste'd for Brittany Spears.

then prove your point and do it.  you too, as an american, fall under those "questionable tastes and intelligence."

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 02:22:25 pm »
you too, as an american, fall under those "questionable tastes and intelligence."
No, I have money.

Sage 703

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 02:23:59 pm »
Phish is terrible shit. Bat For Lashes, while not my thing, is 500 times better than Phish.

yeah, they're shit . . . that's why they have only been a band for 21 years, sold over 8 million "studio" albums (not including the number in millions of live show albums off their website), hosted 7 three day festivals where only they played, have sold out every single show they have ever played, no matter what the size of the venue, regularly played 10 months of the years every year for 10 - 15 years, have the respect of many bands and guitar players from all genres of music ranging from bluegrass/country/rock/indie/rap, had their tickets scalped for as much as $1000 for just 1 of their shows, are only four people who can create such a sound that they do, are a jam band who have never covered a single dead song, rolling stone magazine called them the "most important band of the nineties," have a ben and jerry's ice named after them which donates part of the proceeds to a vermont charity, each band member formed their own succesful side project (some two), have songs on rock band video game, have a tickets by mail order process thus bypassing ticketmaster and livenation, have fan-run charitable organizations dedicated to music education for children which have announced two $5,000 grants a year, all members are mental giants who all have their doctorates, have received a lifetime acheivement award, a cult following in the millions by now that will tour with them no matter where they go, be it anywhere in the states or other countries, been on the simpsons.

While a lot of this is true, and I am a Phish fan, there is also a lot in this little rant that is not true, including:

*Have sold out every single show they have ever played
*Never covered the Dead
*Bypassing Ticketmaster and Live Nation (pre-sale this time was handled by Music Today, owned by Live Nation)
*Each band member formed their own successful side project (though I suppose this depends on your definition of "successful," but Jon Fishman - to my knowledge - has not formed his own group independent of Phish, though he has sat in with others)
*Each band member has their own doctorate

Like I said, I'm a fan - but you can defend Phish without making shit up.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 02:43:50 pm »
Phish playing the Beatles "White Album" all the way through for a set was pretty damn awesome.
3MTA3

azaghal1981

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 02:46:49 pm »
"*Each band member formed their own successful side project (though I suppose this depends on your definition of "successful," but Jon Fishman - to my knowledge - has not formed his own group independent of Phish, though he has sat in with others)"

It was called Pork Tornado and was a gigantic turd.

The hardcore Phish fans don't like talking about it.

احمد

walkonby

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 02:49:27 pm »

While a lot of this is true, and I am a Phish fan, there is also a lot in this little rant that is not true, including:

*Have sold out every single show they have ever played
*Never covered the Dead
*Bypassing Ticketmaster and Live Nation (pre-sale this time was handled by Music Today, owned by Live Nation)
*Each band member formed their own successful side project (though I suppose this depends on your definition of "successful," but Jon Fishman - to my knowledge - has not formed his own group independent of Phish, though he has sat in with others)
*Each band member has their own doctorate

Like I said, I'm a fan - but you can defend Phish without making shit up.

sorry, you are correct, i did stretch the sell out every show thing, it didn't officially start happening until 1987.  fishman has been in pork tornado and the jazz mandolin project.  the band has their own presale from their own website, which thus does bypass having to initially deal with onsale through ticketmaster or livenation.  i thought they have never covered a single dead song but it is true they have covered two in their entire career (fire on the mountain and scarlett b.) my bad.  and i have always been under the influence that they have finally gone on to get their doctorates, and have been told this by countless sources, so i didn't think i was making that up.

azaghal1981

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 02:52:38 pm »
Isn't JMP someone else's band?
احمد

Sage 703

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2009, 02:54:10 pm »

Yes.  And I had forgotten Pork Tornado.  Justifiably so.

As for walkonby's response:

*The band's pre-sale is administered through Music Today, even if the portal is their website. 

*They've also covered Terrapin Station, and there might be more than that.

*Re: doctorates - I can't find any information on the web to confirm this, and my impression is that they finished school and then went on the road.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 02:56:22 pm by Sage 703 »

walkonby

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2009, 02:55:24 pm »

well if you want to get technical, jazz mandolin is "someone else's band" . . . but he has played in for years.

walkonby

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2009, 03:13:02 pm »

Yes.  And I had forgotten Pork Tornado.  Justifiably so.

As for walkonby's response:

*The band's pre-sale is administered through Music Today, even if the portal is their website. 

*They've also covered Terrapin Station, and there might be more than that.

*Re: doctorates - I can't find any information on the web to confirm this, and my impression is that they finished school and then went on the road.

please . . . as a fellow phan, let's not phish argue.  i'm just happy people aren't happy talking about tori or bats for lashes anymore!!

wml7

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2009, 03:21:55 pm »
yeah, bat for lashes is pretty good, in a tori amos way  ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 03:24:57 pm by wml7 »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2009, 03:45:06 pm »
have i mentioned that bat for lashes' voice reminds me of sarah mclachlan?
<sig>

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2009, 03:52:39 pm »

But only because of that song by Delerium....

I think I read that somewhere.
3MTA3

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2009, 07:57:06 pm »
In duh! news:

31 People Arrested at Maryland Phish Concert

Tuesday, August 18, 2009; 3:20 PM

Howard County police arrested 31 people at a Phish concert at Merriweather Post Pavilion on Saturday and seized drugs and cash.

Four men were charged with drug possession with intent to distribute and other charges, police said. Authorities said the men were traveling in a white recreational vehicle that contained drugs and $12,000 in cash.

Twenty other people were charged with drug possession. Three others were charged with drug possession with intent to distribute. Two people were charged with assault, and two were charged with trespassing.

😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2009, 09:26:49 pm »

But only because of that song by Delerium....

I think I read that somewhere.

actually no, it isn't *just* because of "silence".  they both sing in the same range, they have similar flourishes, etc.  having spent an inordinate amount of time in the 90's listening to sarah's first 3 albums (if you wanted to get anywhere with the canadian ladies at that time, mclachlan was a prerequisite), i assure you there similarities extend beyond that one track... although it is the prime example.

as you were... arguing about phish's academic credentials, was it?
<sig>