Author Topic: Anyone else check out Phish tonight at Merriweather?  (Read 12370 times)

hutch

Anyone else check out Phish tonight at Merriweather?
« on: August 16, 2009, 01:19:37 am »
Just got back..curious if anyone else from the forum went and thoughts?

Second set was enjoyable.. They played "Oh Sweet Nothin" which I really enjoyed...

Crowd was very very drunk and stoned....seeemed like a lot of people got in the pit area by having friends get them in by taking out two tickets.. You could hardly get to your seats...

Pretty young crowd..looked like a new generation...

Got out of parking lot in 5 minutes tops...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 01:28:18 am by hutch »

azaghal1981

Re: Anyone else check out Phish tonight at Merriweather?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 01:28:39 am »
Setlist looks bland.

A friend of mine who went came back bitching.

Still, I bet it was way more fun than Bat For Lashes' melodramatic bullshit which I endured. At least it was short and she had a good opener.
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 10:28:30 am »
word around the phish table was that this was the "meh" show of the tour.  after hartford, which was considered the "omfg" show of the late summer run, this setlist consisted of a lot of new material and songs they haven't played yet or stuff they wanted to try out.  some flubs were apparent i heard and yes the crowd was "less than desirable."  blame it on the merriweather cops who DO NOT fuck around, but i blame it on the fans period; they are what killed phish the last time . . . and i see the 2.0 generation is following in their (fuck you/it's all about me and my high) footsteps.  it is no wonder that phish does not cover the dead.  the dead fanbase was a loving commune that treated others with respect and helped each other out if the need saw fit.  of course the dead generation wasn't raised on rap music, violent video games, and fox news. 

i had lawn seats but gave them up . . . because after hampton, i knew it wouldn't compare . . . and it looks like i was right.  here's hoping festival 8 will be a blast.

redsock

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 10:29:39 am »
Still, I bet it was way more fun than Bat For Lashes' melodramatic bullshit which I endured. At least it was short and she had a good opener.

Knowing the type of music you seem to enjoy, not sure why you went to this show. I thought it was great, but I enjoy "melodramatic bullshit" far more than some of the "over the top improv crap" you seem to enjoy. Just preferences I guess. Next time you, and those annoyingly chatty sorority girls, should not go and save a ticket for someone who enjoys melodrama.

short rant is over...

hutch

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 10:44:26 am »
word around the phish table was that this was the "meh" show of the tour.  after hartford, which was considered the "omfg" show of the late summer run, this setlist consisted of a lot of new material and songs they haven't played yet or stuff they wanted to try out.  some flubs were apparent i heard and yes the crowd was "less than desirable."  blame it on the merriweather cops who DO NOT fuck around, but i blame it on the fans period; they are what killed phish the last time . . . and i see the 2.0 generation is following in their (fuck you/it's all about me and my high) footsteps.  it is no wonder that phish does not cover the dead.  the dead fanbase was a loving commune that treated others with respect and helped each other out if the need saw fit.  of course the dead generation wasn't raised on rap music, violent video games, and fox news. 

i had lawn seats but gave them up . . . because after hampton, i knew it wouldn't compare . . . and it looks like i was right.  here's hoping festival 8 will be a blast.

well I thought it was pretty good then again I was in the Orchestra pit and thats pretty darn close so you can really enjoy watching from there.... I think there is too much emphasis on setlists. .. if you like a band you're going to like the way they play and sound... The first set seemed weaker though but I did not notice much in the way of flubs..

It was very enjoyable hanging in the parking lot with friends drinking... cops couldn't have cared less which I was surprised about...it was a nice day for that and at least my friends and I did it right and thats a benefit of a Saturday show...

I kind of agree about the fanbase..

I'm not too crazy about Phish (hadn't seen them since Hampton/Winston-Salem in 1997) but I was more interested in opinions of others who were at show as compares to "I didnt go and I'm glad cause it sucked!"..:)..although there's room for that too!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 10:52:34 am by hutch »

walkonby

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 10:51:19 am »

I'm not too crazy about Phish (hadn't seen them since Hampton/Winston-Salem in 1997) but I was more interested in opinions of others who were at show as compares to "I didnt go and I'm glad cause it sucked!"..:)

asking on this forum "hey did anybody go to the phish show, is like manimtired (i mean imamoose24) asking "who's going to see that racist?"   ;D ;)

hutch

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 10:53:52 am »

I'm not too crazy about Phish (hadn't seen them since Hampton/Winston-Salem in 1997) but I was more interested in opinions of others who were at show as compares to "I didnt go and I'm glad cause it sucked!"..:)

asking on this forum "hey did anybody go to the phish show, is like manimtired (i mean imamoose24) asking "who's going to see that racist?"   ;D ;)

Oh I see! I kind of figured that....

azaghal1981

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 01:16:01 pm »
I didn't say a word while she was on but ok.
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 01:19:32 pm »
Man, you HATE people not liking music you love.

Knowing the type of music you seem to enjoy, not sure why you went to this show. I thought it was great, but I enjoy "melodramatic bullshit" far more than some of the "over the top improv crap" you seem to enjoy. Just preferences I guess. Next time you, and those annoyingly chatty sorority girls, should not go and save a ticket for someone who enjoys melodrama.

short rant is over...

azaghal1981

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 01:31:14 pm »
Dude's passionate about his Tori-lite, apparently.
احمد

redsock

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 04:28:53 pm »
Dude's passionate about his Tori-lite, apparently.

Far from Tori-lite, some of the comparisons people stretch to make for BFL amazes me. But a lot of folks use Tori.

And yes, since there are honestly not many artists I am really passionate about, i tend to be a bit defensive about them.

And i wasn't accusing you of talking, simply all the blond sorority girls by the bar.

walkonby

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 05:18:36 pm »
see hutch, i told you.  dedicate a thread to phish . . . and people with use it as an excuse to tallk about tori.

wml7

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 05:31:19 pm »
i thought she sounded like a mix of tori and bjork when I saw her at Lollapalooza  ;D

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 08:04:44 am »
I was planning on going but when I found out my friends were planning on getting there as gates opened, I had to pass considering the night before I knew would be very late.

I ended up at BFL too, yeah not really a show most would find me at either lol  I thought she was good, reminded me a bit of Delerium without a lot of soundscape keyboard parts though. Vocals probably the most is what reminded me of Kristy Thirsk.
3MTA3

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 11:46:12 am »
I thought she was good, reminded me a bit of Delerium

BfL's voice reminds me of sarah mclachlan, so the delirium comparison makes sense (i only know their one song with her).
<sig>