Author Topic: Air  (Read 8705 times)

Dandy01

Re: Air
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2004, 10:35:00 am »
Impressive show - full, layered, and diverse sound, 2 encores, enthusiastic appreciative crowd...!

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2004, 02:32:00 pm »
Just saw Mosqitos at Ollsens. Pleasanr, though unspectacular.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2004, 03:04:00 pm »
seeing as the forum has shaken off its hangover...

just a few observations about the Friday Air show.

Rhett Baller's Mosquitos observation were spot on.  When the groups "Shoot out the Lights" type record comes out, that would be interesting tour to see them on.

While there were some
 wish I were chilling in a La-Z-Boy" moments in the set, there were equal numbers of "Hell Yeah" moments as well.  For being very much a studio band, with the added drummer Air could really kick it live.  What would have been really neat was a little swirling quadrophonic sound especially during the closing "La Femme D'Argent".

It's amazing how a really great drummer can raise the level of a groups live performance several notches.  And thanks to elj and google I knew a little more about the very explosive Earl Harvin.

Earl Harvin is primarily a jazz drummer, but don't hold that against him when you see the list of the  groups he's played with.  Of particular interest is his stint in The The circa 2000.  He's also played with MC 900 Foot Jesus, Seal, etc, etc, etc...

Two parting comments, it's always good to see people getting their just deserves and I wonder if the Air tour diary will contain enteries about obnoxious ex-pats at their show.
T.Rex

babaluma

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2004, 05:01:00 pm »
Wasn't the second keyboard player Sebastien Tellier, who toured with them 3 years ago?
 I agree about the drummer. He kicked ass.

bearman🐻

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2004, 06:48:00 pm »
Did anybody see both Thursday and Friday's shows? How did they compare? Was there a different setlist? Just curious...thanks!

shimmeringhaze

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2004, 11:10:00 pm »
I saw both performances, and I would have to say that Friday was definitely better.  Both nights were amazing, but everything just seemed to be more together on friday night.

brennser

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2004, 10:03:00 am »
Earl Harvin is primarily a jazz drummer, but don't hold that against him when you see the list of the groups he's played with. Of particular interest is his stint in The The circa 2000. He's also played with MC 900 Foot Jesus, Seal, etc, etc, etc...

not much to add, except to say, yes, Earl Harvin is am amazing drummer - saw him twice w/ The The and he knocked seven shades of shit out of those skins

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2004, 11:32:00 am »
Originally posted by shimmeringhaze:
  I saw both performances, and I would have to say that Friday was definitely better.  Both nights were amazing, but everything just seemed to be more together on friday night.
What were the set differences? I only went to Thursday, and I know they opened with alpha Beta gaga instead of Venus that night. Also, did we not get Radian in the encore, or was I just drunk?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2004, 03:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by babaluma:
  Wasn't the second keyboard player Sebastien Tellier, who toured with them 3 years ago?
 I agree about the drummer. He kicked ass.
Dave Campbell, who plays with Earl Harvin's jazz trio, was the second keyboard player
T.Rex

eltee

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2004, 11:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 there were equal numbers of "Hell Yeah" moments as well.  For being very much a studio band, with the added drummer Air could really kick it live.  What would have been really neat was a little swirling quadrophonic sound especially during the closing "La Femme D'Argent".

It's amazing how a really great drummer can raise the level of a groups live performance several notches.  And thanks to elj and google I knew a little more about the very explosive Earl Harvin.

Earl Harvin is primarily a jazz drummer, but don't hold that against him when you see the list of the  groups he's played with.  Of particular interest is his stint in The The circa 2000.  He's also played with MC 900 Foot Jesus, Seal, etc, etc, etc...
Wallflowers' band member, Greg Richling posted this update on the Wallflower site: "just got a call from my buddy/keyboardist dave palmer. we met while playing together in fiona apple's band in 1996 in europe. he has informed me that he is touring with the band AIR. i, of course, freaked out upon hearing this and congratulated him on getting this great gig, then freaked that there is no LA date. so, i told him i'm flying out to see him in oakland, ca and to meet the other cats. they're touring as a 4 piece with just dave on keys and earl harvin on drums. should be incredible. he said it's been a lot of hard work to cover everything that a six or seven piece band usually tackles. but dave and earl are amazing and i'm sure the shows have been great."

Bags

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2004, 09:52:00 am »
Article link

April 15, 2004
 POP REVIEW | AIR
 Making a Musical World That's All of a Piece
 By KELEFA SANNEH
 The New York Times

Remember when CD's seemed like the future? They were indestructible (except when they weren't), they never skipped (except when they did), and they were cheaper to manufacture than vinyl records (although not of course cheaper to buy). They also made some listeners nostalgic for vinyl records: in the CD age albums got longer, less consistent, more shapeless.

Now, with the rise of MP3's and other digital formats, it may be time for a new nostalgia: CD nostalgia. In the CD age there were no interruptions: you didn't have to get up to flip the record, and you didn't get to pick and choose which songs you would add to your iPod. You swallowed a CD whole, like a pill, then waited for it to take effect.

And so if you're wondering how two self-effacing Frenchmen who call themselves Air managed to fill up the vast Hammerstein Ballroom on Tuesday night â?? without the benefit of a mainstream hit or a huge discography, without any public image to speak of â?? the answer is that they made a CD that could be swallowed whole. That CD is "Moon Safari," their intoxicating 1998 debut, full of wistful chord progressions and undulating textures.

"Moon Safari" was an album that bar managers and dinner-party hosts and shop owners could put on and forget about: it was smooth and seductive all the way through. If you think this sounds like the description of mere background music, then you're wrong about the "mere" but right about the rest. During Tuesday night's seductive concert, the duo found ways to make their background music fill the ballroom, turning simple songs into immersive experiences.

Air's second studio album, "10,000 Hz Legend," was more jagged and adventurous than "Moon Safari," but its new album, "Talkie Walkie" (Astralwerks/EMI), is more swallowable: the singing (by the two musicians themselves) is sometimes stilted, but the arrangements are pristine; onstage the duo (aided by two more musicians) found ways to reproduce the warmth and precision of the CD. For "Alpha Beta Gaga," based on a leisurely 10/4 beat, Jean-Benoît Dunckel played key-tar (a strap-on synthesizer) and Nicolas Godin whistled the tune while a bed of glimmering electronic sound washed over them.

Lighted from behind, the musicians were reduced to silhouettes, as featureless as the purposely generic love songs they sing. Before "Run," Mr. Dunckel announced, "Of course it's about a girl, it's always about the same girl." Then he sang, "Stay with me, I feel sad when you run, run, run, run," and a sampler kept repeating this last word: it sounded like a skipping CD.