Author Topic: smashing pumpkins  (Read 4437 times)

bnyced0

Re: smashing pumpkins
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2007, 04:39:00 pm »

are you excited for the heaven and hell show at MPP?  i know i am!! haha.  

[/QB]
I'm gone during the MPP show, so I'm going to Chicago to see Heaven & Hell this Saturday, I'll give a detailed report.  

And Dave, along with James, Cliff (after Ron left), and Lars were the Metallica line-up of my youth, while Kirk was still working out the kinks in a band I roadied for in highschool, Exodus.

sonickteam2

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2007, 04:45:00 pm »
do you have openings at the job you have that allows you to go to all these shows!!  ;)

bnyced0

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2007, 05:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
  do you have openings at the job you have that allows you to go to all these shows!!   ;)  
I work for the man, you sound like you still have a soul left so I couldn't do that to you.  

I'm single and make the most of my weekends and vacation days, some people have other habits I have show obsession, just a matter of phucked up priorities and always chasing down that perfect concert experience.  I'm a junkie and I know it. But when you get a night like RATM in Indio, or Soul Wax in Philly, or even Prince in Las Vegas it's worth every cent, jetlag, and other sacrifices for the cause.

sonickteam2

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2007, 05:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by bnyced0:

do you have openings at the job you have that allows you to go to all these shows!!    ;)  
I work for the man, you sound like you still have a soul left so I couldn't do that to you.  

I'm single and make the most of my weekends and vacation days, some people have other habits I have show obsession, just a matter of phucked up priorities and always chasing down that perfect concert experience.  I'm a junkie and I know it. But when you get a night like RATM in Indio, or Soul Wax in Philly, or even Prince in Las Vegas it's worth every cent, jetlag, and other sacrifices for the cause. [/b]
i admire that! if i hadnt met my lady...i suppose i'd be doin the same!

TheDirector217

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2007, 05:15:00 pm »

do you have openings at the job you have that allows you to go to all these shows!!    ;)  

I'm single and make the most of my weekends and vacation days, some people have other habits I have show obsession, just a matter of phucked up priorities and always chasing down that perfect concert experience.  I'm a junkie and I know it. But when you get a night like RATM in Indio, or Soul Wax in Philly, or even Prince in Las Vegas it's worth every cent, jetlag, and other sacrifices for the cause. [/b]
I feel your pain, fam.  Was thinking about going to see Prince in Vegas, but I had to cut myself off.  (There's NO way I won't gamble if I go.)  And I flew to Hawaii to catch Pearl Jam open for U2, so who am I to judge???    ;)  

I think The Pumpkins should be straight, though . . . . With Jimmy & Billy, it should be good.  Some of y'all act like D'arcy was actually a good bass player or something.  Cool out . . . . . .    :p

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2007, 05:23:00 pm »

do you have openings at the job you have that allows you to go to all these shows!!     :)  and can go wherever i want to see any band. if only i could have found a way to catch travis at GAMH or the fillmore wherever it was in SF. at least most bands stops by nyc  :)
HeyLa

Mobius

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »

Prince in Las Vegas  
Funny, I caught Prince's set at the Rio last Friday.  It was pretty frickin great.  

Also caught Interpol at The Joint at Hard Rock Saturday which was excellent. Good music weekend in Vegas.

Since that has nothing to do w/ the Smashing Pumpkins, I'll add that I never viewed SP as Corgan's band when I was a fan and viewed the chemistry of all four as necessary.  I thought when he said he'd get the band back together he INTENTED to recreate the chemistry they had.  Guess not.

bnyced0

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »
Since that has nothing to do w/ the Smashing Pumpkins, I'll add that I never viewed SP as Corgan's band when I was a fan and viewed the chemistry of all four as necessary.  I thought when he said he'd get the band back together he INTENTED to recreate the chemistry they had.  Guess not. [/QB]
That particular chemistry was lost long ago, well before they ultimately disbanded.  When Jimmy OD'd, and they recorded and toured without him, and when Darcy ultimately found crack and free base more appealing than her electric bass the original SP was no more.  

Out of last 5 years of existence the original line-up only recorded and toured together about 25% of that time.  So I can't imagine Billy, you, or anyone else expected that original chemistry to be rekindled.  

It's seldom that even without the death of a band member that bands stay intact over the long haul.  Even the notable ones (Slayer, REM, Pearl Jam, etc.) have had rough patches with a member missing for a while or gone completely.  

It was always Billy's band, even if the input from others seemed substantial, we'll never really know, none of us we're in the song writing or recording sessions, but the general impression was Billy set the direction and the others added/followed.  Based on what they've (other than Billy) done individually trying to stray from the Pumpkins hasn't been very beneficial.

Both Zwan and the solo album were intentionally trying to break away from a pumpkin sound and vibe, they were ok in my opinion but I think he knows what made the pumpkins the pumpkins and that he has deep cache of that particular inspiration left.

I don't seem him regurgitating that 90's sound, but won't complain if he does, Aerosmith and Mission of Burma took a ton of time off and came back strong, as did Echo & the Bunnymen, the jury is still out on the new Dinosaur Jr. but I think that true talent can overcome the huge expectaction the reemergence of SP brings with it.  This isn't merely a reunion for a tour, but rather a continuation of something I found incredible and as long as the architect is involved I'll buy space in that building.

We'll see, I'm a fan with some blind faith, which is interesting considering religiously I'm agnostic.

Mobius

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2007, 11:10:00 pm »
ok, so i guess you could look at this like a second marriage for billy and jimmy and maybe it'll be for the best.  that's something, and its cool folks are interested.  maybe the new wife can actually keep corgan's ego in check, make him cool (not tedius) again and inspire him.  i'm not betting on anything more than nostalgic background music to drink to, but anything can happen.

red flag #1: naming the album Zeitgeist.  suggests the ego has not landed.

Arthwys

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2007, 10:01:00 am »
Red Flag #2: Putting them album out on 7/7/07, which is a saturday instead of the traditional tuesday indicates the ego has not landed.
Emrys

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2007, 03:54:00 pm »

Originally posted by thatguy:

Originally posted by RustyOrgan:
 Seeing Metallica would be 'off' due to Jason's departure.

interesting age difference here, as some would say that metallica shows with jason were "off" due to cliff burton's absence. [/b]
now you're really dating yourself!!!!

my first metallica show...1989 with the cult...when i was 12!!!   but that was with Jason..presumably the first tour he did with them? [/b]
Ha I saw the tour...metallica were loud and the cult was totally forgettable.  I saw them in Richmond..how 'bout you?

Sage 703

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2007, 05:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by Arthwys:
  Red Flag #2: Putting them album out on 7/7/07, which is a saturday instead of the traditional tuesday indicates the ego has not landed.
7/7/07 is Smashing Pumpkins Day in Chicago.  It has been decreed that twice.  That's why they have that release date.