Author Topic: HFStival?  (Read 7728 times)

Jaguär

Re: HFStival?
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2005, 12:40:00 am »
Originally posted by hitman:

Originally posted by Rob_Gee:

Originally posted by Jaguär:
 I've just had a horrid thought...

Now that there is no more HFS board, we may get the overflow.      ;)  

Hey Hitman, what's the talk and mood amongst your students? The same crap we are reading here with the teenie weenie newbies?    :roll:

hitman

Re: HFStival?
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2005, 02:45:00 am »

Originally posted by hitman:

Originally posted by Rob_Gee:

I've just had a horrid thought...

Now that there is no more HFS board, we may get the overflow.       ;)  

Hey Hitman, what's the talk and mood amongst your students? The same crap we are reading here with the teenie weenie newbies?     :roll:  [/QB]
You know Jag, it's interesting, I haven't heard a damn thing yet.  Normally I would hear something from the older ones, 4th or 5th graders.  But haven't heard anything yet.  I think kids nowadays are leaning more to hiphop unfortunately.  I have first graders singing Snoop Dogg "Drop it like it's hot". That's pretty fucked up.  However, I did have a second grader notice my old HFStival sticker on my file cabinet, and he said "Mr. Schmitt, I like that station, my daddy plays it in the truck."  To which my reply was, "well, he must like Salsa", to which the kid's reply was "what does tacos have to do with this?".  Pretty smart little bastard.  I expect I'll hear some whines from former students who are now in middle or high school, who will visit and complain.  I'll let you know.

Quick story about students and music.  I was going to see Tribe Called Quest (love the old school shit) back in October in Glen Burnie (why there, long story) at Michaels' 8th Ave.  That day I was playing Tribe's first cd, and it went by all day without anyone noticing what it was.  Last class of the day, I had a first grade class.  Three students knew who it was.  I had a little white kid, Talbot, ask is this Q-Tip?  And I replied what did you say?  He repeated, and then said it was on a mix tape his Dad made for him.  Then another kid (who didn't hear Talbot) asked if it was Tribe Called Quest?  And I said yeah it was.  Turns out his Dad used to be a DJ.  

Maybe there's hope for the future of America's youth after all.