Author Topic: HFStival?  (Read 7727 times)

Diorama

HFStival?
« on: January 13, 2005, 07:56:00 pm »
I Read Somewhere That HFStival Probably Will Fanish Too.  Then I Read Somewhere Else That 9:30 Club Helps Put On HFStival.  Hopefully If This Is True, The Festival Will Continue.   Maybe 9:30festival Or DC101apalooza?  If Festival Disapears, I Won't Get My Boobie Fix  :(

vansmack

Re: HFStival?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 08:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Diorama:
   If Festival Disapears, I Won't Get My Boobie Fix   :(  
Finally, after two days, somebody makes a good point.

Thankfully, there's the internet, Good Guys, Camelot, 1829 (whatever it is), Lexus Gold, and the drag parade.
27>34

andyrichter

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 08:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by Diorama:
   If Festival Disapears, I Won't Get My Boobie Fix    :(  
Finally, after two days, somebody makes a good point.

Thankfully, there's the internet, Good Guys, Camelot, 1829 (whatever it is), Lexus Gold, and the drag parade. [/b]
I think I'm done with zit faced teens and 40 year old rednecks ogling at 14 year old boobage.

PigIron

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 11:40:00 pm »
[/QUOTE]I think I'm done with zit faced teens and 40 year old rednecks ogling at 14 year old boobage. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I can't get enough, personally.  It was my love for zit faced teens and 40 year old rednecks that had me considering HFStival year after year.  It was the crappy lineups that kept me home.

They should just have a massive HFiesta every year.  Spanish music isn't that bad.  Who doesn't like Mexican food?  Pinatas are fun.  Pack a stadium full of that crap and I might consider.  When was the last time the festival had a decent bill?  P.O.D./Good Charlotte/Papa Roach lineups?  I'll pass.

Jaguär

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 12:57:00 am »
Last night I had read on some local Baltimore site that the HFStival was still going to go on. At least, this year. They made no claims about the music itself. Have no clue if it will be a Salsa Fest or the same old Crap Fest with maybe 2 good bands. I suspect that it will be a Hybrid Fest hoping to keep the 3 real listeners they had and bring in new ones.

When you think of it, it would be so like HFS to put on a show with bands that they won't play. Also, I tend to think that Infinity had long ago entered contracts with a load of bands for this year's and figured that they may as well put on one last shebang to keep the lawyers from nipping at their accounts.

Samantha

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 01:14:00 am »
I hope not, I hate that feeling of regret on the day of HFStival that I didn't go to see that one band that I was interested in seeing

warman31337

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 01:40:00 am »
some of the bands sucked, but how many times can you spend $40 and get a chance to see 20+ bands.

dlcjr1775

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 03:01:00 am »
Not a chance.

saintangelsin

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 04:03:00 am »
first of all, for me the hfstival was never some way of seeing boobs. i was there souly for the music. as for bad acts, well, i think music festivals are great, becasue when a bad band is playing you can go check out something else. i would go see something at the locals stage or a dj at the buzz tent.

for me, the hfstival was always a family event. each year, i'd go with my mom, dad and younger sister. in the past two years, my older (half) sister went with us as well. we attended the following years: spring 1999, 2000, day 1 of 2001, 2003 and 2004.

this past year with 2004, i had the opportunity most young people my age don't normal get. i was granted photo and press passes to the hfstival. I got to take photos of all of the acts. Even though i am not a fan of Jay Z, it was definately an experience taking photos. And it was just mind melting to be only 3 feet away from Robert Smith. the hfstival gave young people a chance to see all kinds of bands. i know that when i attended the 1999 one in baltimore, i got my first taste of fountains of wayne. like i said, hfstival can expose people to different music even though they have booked some not so good acts in the past.
 i think what also made hfstival so special is the fact whfs wasn't uptight about things. most music festivals would never consider letting college journalists cover their event, but whfs did. i still have the message on my answering machine saying that i need to pick up my photo passes the morning of the festival.

azaghal1981

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 08:44:00 am »
There was a time when admission to the HFStival was 15 bucks and the majority of the bands were worth seeing. If I remember correctly, 1995 had bands like the ramones, hole, primus, simple minds and pj harvey just to name a few.

Originally posted by warman31337:
  some of the bands sucked, but how many times can you spend $40 and get a chance to see 20+ bands.
احمد

Guiny

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 09:43:00 am »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  There was a time when admission to the HFStival was 15 bucks and the majority of the bands were worth seeing. If I remember correctly, 1995 had bands like the ramones, hole, primus, simple minds and pj harvey just to name a few.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Most people on here don't like Hole, Primus or Simple Minds. But they might now because they agree with the point your trying to make.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 09:47:00 am »
well i "liked" simple minds when they were still releasing good music.... tolerated hole and saw primus play with anthrax and public enemy.
T.Rex

azaghal1981

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 09:56:00 am »
Like those bands or not, it's hard to deny that they were/are a hell of a lot more talented musically than most of the shit acts they've had at the HFStival in the last 6-7 years. Hole's material was listenable at the time, simple minds were a good nostalgia act and primus and les claypool's other bands are still putting out some of the most innovative stuff I've heard in a while. But it's all a matter of opinion.

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  well i "liked" simple minds when they were still releasing good music.... tolerated hole and saw primus play with anthrax and public enemy.
احمد

sonickteam2

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 10:01:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:

Most people on here don't like Hole, Primus or Simple Minds. But they might now because they agree with the point your trying to make.
everyone likes Primus. and who nominated you "board spokesman"?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 10:06:00 am »
no i totally agree... while carbon copies of bands existed at time, most bands were at least not trying to sound like each other in order to get signed.  i still content there is a emo/pop-punk band in a box kit sold at Guitar Center.  With flow charts to write songs, appropriate guitar effects, coupon to local tattoo parlor, a set of 10 magentic poetry words in order to generate a name, and a guide to setting up a street team.
T.Rex