Author Topic: DJ Shadow question.  (Read 3444 times)

daves122

DJ Shadow question.
« on: November 26, 2007, 07:53:00 pm »
Debating whether to go or not. Anyone seen him live? Any good? I saw Girl Talk and wasn't too into a dude in front of a laptop pushing buttons. Is it a similar type of show? Thanks!

Christine Moritz

Re: DJ Shadow question.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 09:16:00 pm »
DJ Shadow's live show is fairly dynamic for a one-person deal.  If I remember correctly, he had two turntables and two DJ-style CD players, and the whole time there were visuals that (I think) corresponded to the tunes he was playing.

He might've even done some video scratching (in the manner of Coldcut or Hexstatic), but it's been a while and I don't remember for sure.

azaghal1981

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 01:57:00 am »
He'll be with Cut Chemist on this tour and the whole show will be them spinning 45's.

Completely different show than girl talk. There's really no comparison.

Listen to brainfreeze or Product Placement; that should give you an idea as to what to expect.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 03:47:00 am »
my take on what the thread-starter is asking:

if you expect to see him on stage with a band, jumping around, diving into the crowd, telling stories between songs, etc... then no.  he's a dj.  expect shadow to be behind the decks, doing what a dj does - spinning.  maybe even with a laptop somewhere up there.  with a light show/projections/lasers.

one shouldn't have the same expectations of an electronic music show as of a rock'n'roll show.  not necessarily lower, not necessarily higher... but definitely different.
<sig>

dhs122

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 10:28:00 am »
Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to know if anyone has seen DJ Shadow before and what they thought of the past performances...

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 10:57:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  my take on what the thread-starter is asking:

if you expect to see him on stage with a band, jumping around, diving into the crowd, telling stories between songs, etc... then no.  he's a dj.  expect shadow to be behind the decks, doing what a dj does - spinning.  maybe even with a laptop somewhere up there.  with a light show/projections/lasers.

one shouldn't have the same expectations of an electronic music show as of a rock'n'roll show.  not necessarily lower, not necessarily higher... but definitely different.
Wait, so THIS High School band won't be playing "Bulding Steam with a Grain of Salt" with him?  ;)   This is bad ass! I wish we played something like this in high school!

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

calecp01

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 05:44:00 pm »
Ok - let me set the record straight - I have seen DJ Shadow before and he most definitely told stories between songs, at one point had a live drummer on stage with him, had a video DJ doing real time stuff that was AMAZING, had cameras on the decks so you could see what he was doing, showed a cool movie with him and other DJ's scratching records side by side with some old school black jazz drummers, was humble and friendly the entire show.  It was a very cool experience.  I mean, he put out a live DVD for a reason.  I recommend checking him out, even if the last album was the worst piece of shit I've ever heard.

Originally posted by dhs122:
  Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to know if anyone has seen DJ Shadow before and what they thought of the past performances...

organizedconfusion

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 08:38:00 pm »
Shadow solo was great. I'm wondering if they'll include a little MPC set as well. Considering brainfreeze and product placement were only so long, I hope they do. That would mean Numark makes an appearance.

lukiedookie89

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »
I had never heard his stuff before seeing him live, but his set at Bonnaroo was definitely one of my favorites of the weekend. I'll be at the club show for sure.

CitizenGwen

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 05:38:00 pm »
wait, where is he going to be? hope i didn't already miss it. been out of the loop recently.

azaghal1981

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 06:02:00 pm »
1/23 at sonar, 1/24 at 930.
 Both with Cut Chemist.
احمد