Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 30187 times)

Sir HC

Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #165 on: September 22, 2006, 05:46:00 am »
To get that stuff off you have to use the tape itself, that is the only thing that it will stick to more than the jewel case.  Also, if you pop the lid and slowly peel the tape/sticker off you can often get it residue free.

lbcardoni

« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2006, 08:43:00 am »
Anyone ever buy a used CD from the sound garned in balimore?  
 They hide their security tabs all over the cd ad will out them under the CD tray in the jewel case right on the artwork and it is impossible to get off

« Reply #167 on: September 22, 2006, 11:49:00 am »
I also hate that security tab that's put under the clear CD tray, obscuring the art beneath.  How are you supposed to remove it when it's adhered to the paper insert instead of the plastc?  I don't

BTW, a good use for those security tabs is to collect 'em and plant them on people you don't like.  Slip a couple into you boss' parka.  Drop one in a backpack.  Stick one to the sole of a shoe near the heal.  Be creative!

But it doesn't really matter.  I have never been searched when the alarm goes off.  It only happens at Wally World, where they treat all of their customers like the thieves they think they are.

tigersscareme

« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2006, 09:49:00 am »
people who don't say thank you.

eltee

« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2006, 12:04:00 pm »
How could I forget? People who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. I have high hopes that they run off and use hand sanitizer...but not likely. Remember -- Pigeon disese is right around the corner!

People who crush your hand when they handshake.

eltee

« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2006, 12:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by Reod Dai:
  Spelling and grammar errors stand out to me like bright, flashing red lights.  Basically, the effect of the Internet on the English language is driving me nuts.  
Is it affect / effect?   :D  
 Another exhaustive argument is the proper usage of complementary vs. complimentary.

Reod Dai

« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2006, 02:07:00 am »
Ah, the classic confusion between "affect" and "effect".   :)    Very few people seem to be able to tell the difference anymore.  Even I sometimes forget that, albeit rarely, "affect" can be used as a noun and "effect" as a verb.  I never use them as such, so I generally just think of "affect" as a verb and "effect" as a noun.  I'll have to start looking for occasions to mention how something or other has effected a change of some sort. ^_^

On the other hand, I don't think I've ever gotten into a debate over "complementary" and "complimentary".  The difference between the two seems pretty obvious to me, but I guess I can see how people would get them confused.  Come to think of it, I can't remember ever having seen one of them used incorrectly, while "affect" and "effect" are switched all the time.  Then again, the latter two are much more commonly used than the former.

bigyellow100

« Reply #172 on: September 26, 2006, 04:22:00 am »
dumbass craigslist-ers who cant read.  when i make a listing, im pretty precise about what im selling, yet every single time i seriously get 234923 emails asking: "WHAT R U SELLING?"  jesus christ.

eltee

« Reply #173 on: September 26, 2006, 02:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Reod Dai:
  Ah, the classic confusion between "affect" and "effect".    :)   I generally just think of "affect" as a verb and "effect" as a noun.  
 On the other hand, I don't think I've ever gotten into a debate over "complementary" and "complimentary".
I learned "affect" means to change and "effect" is an end result.
 Re: comple vs. compli -- I think I've basically encountered people who do not realize the word "complementary" exists. So, they use complimentary all the time. On various jobs, I've changed the word to the proper context in documents, there begins the debate. Oy.

nkotb

« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2006, 10:41:00 am »
People that continually view your evite's WITHOUT EVER RESPONDING!!!!  I can see that you've looked every day for the past week since I sent it out.  Why not respond???