Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 30317 times)

Guiny

Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2006, 05:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:
  Or a bodyguard. I wonder if I could hire Guiny to be my bodyguard?
Dude, your story totally made me think of a guy that used to work in my group.  He's a little short guy, balding, always wear a suit.  He always yelled at people.  He yelled at our boss in a meeting and even yelled at a taxi cab driver outside the work place, this guy was psycho, and a little shit too.  He of course got fired.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2006, 06:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:
  People who look like Flava Flav and get on the Metro car, smacking you in the head with their bag as they pass by. Then they comment to the 55ish guy sitting in the seat across from them, "Faggot, homosexual, what are you looking at? You gotta go to work. I don't gotta go to no job. I got money in my pocket. That's right, I'm no slave, I'm a muthafucking king. You gotta work, pay your rent, pay the child support. I aint gotta work"....continued babbling...
Wait, have you seen that guy too?  The dude with the clock?  I see him on the bus ALL THE TIME.  What's up with that?

eltee

« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2006, 08:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:
  I don't so much care where people stop at stop signs, just so long as they stop. I hate it when drivers don't come to full and complete stops at stop signs. Stop signs aren't optional just because there isn't a cop around, and they don't mean "just slow down."

I hate it when drivers don't signal when changing lanes. This area is rampant with such people. I've never seen so much lane changing without signalling before I moved here.
I want the washington Post car / traffic guru guy to do a poll on signal usage in the DC area. I rarely see anyone using one. I'm a ninny probably, but riding my ass then moving over two lanes, to come back in front of me, only to turn left never using a signal just irks me.

eltee

« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2006, 08:22:00 pm »
Britney Spears' gum chewing.

GFriday

« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2006, 10:07:00 pm »
People who rifle past the wrinkly copy of the City Paper at the top of the stack for a clean copy beneath.

What, do you collect City Papers?  I'll go so far as to guarantee good karma to those who take the ratty copy for themselves.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2006, 10:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by Graham Friday:
  People who rifle past the wrinkly copy of the City Paper at the top of the stack for a clean copy beneath.
You just stated why we do this. Remind me not to eat any produce you buy, spinach or otherwise.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2006, 08:50:00 am »
Drivers who just cannot grasp the rules of roundabouts, especially those who hug the outside lane even though they're taking the far left exit.....it's not that difficult you idiots.

On a similar note....drivers who make a left turn from the far right lane.

hijinksandsue

« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2006, 06:53:00 pm »
(great thread) ...

I HATE the stupid little subscription cards that fall out of magazines, especially when it's a magazine I ALREADY SUBSCRIBE TO. And three or four of them fall out.

I understand that magazines need to sell subscriptions. But if I already subscribe, I think one of the perks should be NO CARDS DAMMIT. After all, I am not going to subscribe again, you know?

I think pretty much everything else has either been covered here or is too obvious to discuss (telemarketers, etc. ... though honestly the recent recorded telespam invasion during the elections seemed above and beyond anything I can recall in the past ...)

Reod Dai

« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2006, 12:32:00 pm »
Spelling and grammar errors stand out to me like bright, flashing red lights.  I particularly can't stand "your" being used instead of "you're".  That almost makes me wince when I see it.  And the ever-increasingly rampant misuse of the apostrophe is terrifying.  Basically, the effect of the Internet on the English language is driving me nuts.  I hate letters being used instead of words.  I hate improper or completely missing punctuation.

I've developed a lot of driving pet peeves lately.  I just can't believe the way people act out on the road.  I too get really annoyed when people don't use their signals.  And when people hang out in the left lane, holding up traffic and completely ignoring the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs, I want to drag them out of their cars and beat the living shit out of them.  Every time I see someone putting along in the left lane with car after car coming up behind them and then pulling over to pass them on the right, and they simply refuse to pull over into the right lane where they belong, it drives me up the wall.  Then there are the people who come up behind you when you're caught behind someone like that and ride your ass.  Apparently they think that by getting as close as possible and swerving from side to side, they'll somehow get you to go faster than the car in front of you.

I've seen people play games with me on the road.  I've had people "attach" themselves to me going down the interstate in the middle of the night, pulling ahead and then dropping back behind over and over again.  I really don't understand the sudden speed changes people make sometimes for no apparent reason.  Pick a speed and stick with it.  I really love when I pull out and try to pass someone and they fucking speed up, trying to match you.  It's like they think I'm insulting them by trying to pass.

All these driving issues come down to having respect for the other drivers on the road, and so many people just don't seem to have it.  In fact, a lack of respect for others in general is a pet peeve of mine.  Rudeness, arrogance, inflated self-importance, all of these things bug the hell out of me.

Whoever mentioned being annoyed by people who don't make room to pass them on escalators, I completely agree.  That's always been a pet peeve of mine.  I walk on every escalator, up or down, and I always seem to be the only one who does.

Whoever mentioned people who make it their mission to convert others to their religion is also quite right.  That really pisses me off.  I see religion as a personal thing.  Believe whatever you want, I don't care.  Whatever works for you is fine.  Just don't try to push it on me.

Concerning baseball caps only looking okay at the ballfield; let's not forget the golf course.  Backwards always looks stupid, however, and any variation of sideways looks completely asinine.  I also think that a ballcap on a girl with a ponytail through the back looks good, though.

I can't stand people who buy concert tickets specifically to sell for profit.  Those people can go to fucking hell.

ggw

« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2006, 01:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by Reod Dai:
  And when people hang out in the left lane, holding up traffic and completely ignoring the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs, I want to drag them out of their cars and beat the living shit out of them.  Every time I see someone putting along in the left lane with car after car coming up behind them and then pulling over to pass them on the right, and they simply refuse to pull over into the right lane where they belong, it drives me up the wall.  
95% of those people are on cellphones.

Hands-free or not, most people seem unable to carry on a phone conversation and drive properly at the same time.

nkotb

« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2006, 01:58:00 pm »
An old co-worker of mine once complained about the hands-free law in DC.  According to her, it made driving more dangerous, as you'd have to struggle with putting the device into your phone and then into your ear while driving.  Somehow, I think the whole point was lost on her.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
 95% of those people are on cellphones.

Hands-free or not, most people seem unable to carry on a phone conversation and drive properly at the same time.

« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2006, 02:18:00 pm »
My pet peeve:

That sticky gook that's left stuck onto CD jewel cases and DVD cases after you peel of the secuity label,  Yecchhh!  They don't do this in Europe...for good reason.  A factory folded shrinkwrap is good enough for me.

aglanixp

« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2006, 03:24:00 pm »
People who bring their children to Burningman.
 What idiots.

Relaxer

« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »
People who say "what the shit..." or "who the shit..." C'mon folks, the proper words are fuck, hell or hootin'-holler.
oword

Reod Dai

« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2006, 01:34:00 am »
Originally posted by Surly Bonds:
  My pet peeve:

That sticky gook that's left stuck onto CD jewel cases and DVD cases after you peel of the secuity label,  Yecchhh!  They don't do this in Europe...for good reason.  A factory folded shrinkwrap is good enough for me.
Damn straight.  I've complained about this before.  It's especially aggravating with used CDs, because for some reason they feel the need to slap about a thousand different stickers on the damn things.  And when they do that to digipack CDs, and the stickers damage the cover when you peel them off, I get absolutely furious.  And I've often wondered about who makes the stickers on the top of new CDs.  There's a certain type that peels right off with no trouble at all, and then there's the type that shreds to bits or leaves that gunk on the CD.  The ones that shred are the ones that have "UMND" or something like that on the one end.  Do the good ones cost more or something?  Why do record labels insist on using the shitty ones?

On a side note, the only person I know who says "What the shit?" does so because it's a line from The Matrix.