Author Topic: Please refrain from wearing flip flops to work, it's ju  (Read 12485 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Please refrain from wearing flip flops to work, it's ju
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2005, 04:30:00 pm »
i think polo shirts are pretty fucking lame altogether.

business casual is a sad sad state of fashion.

Candy Flesh

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2005, 11:17:00 am »
I am wearing a pair of pink flip flops

and to top it off

Adidas striped running pants-AT work.

haha.
 mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2005, 11:21:00 am »
So which mall are you working at?

Originally posted by Candy Flesh:

and to top it off

haha.
 mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

sonickteam2

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2005, 11:27:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:

and to top it off

haha.
 mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
[/b]
so stereotypical. sheesh.

Jaguär

« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2005, 11:36:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:

and to top it off

haha.
 mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
[/b]
so stereotypical. sheesh. [/b]
No, that would be the 'word of the day', cliché.

Candy Flesh

« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2005, 11:54:00 am »
I work in a clerk's office as a legal assistant for the DOJ
 there is no dress code.

« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2005, 12:13:00 pm »
I hear you. As a fellow gov't employee, I too can dress like a mall rat any time I wish.  :)

there is no dress code.

sonickteam2

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2005, 12:14:00 pm »
  I hear you. As a fellow gov't employee, I too can dress like a mall rat any time I wish.   :)  

there is no dress code.
[/b]
this forum has sound too?  my volume must be down. probably a good thing.

« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2005, 02:21:00 pm »

and to top it off

haha.
 mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Long live the new flesh!

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2005, 02:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  Depends....
Allright you've taken it too far.  Anyone who would where Depends to work is just wrong!

ratioci nation

« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2005, 09:55:00 am »
Mr. Nakatestes really has his finger on the pulse of  today's issues (at least the Drudge Report thinks so):

http://www.courant.com/features/lifestyle/hc-flipflops.artjul18,0,5412390.story?&track=rss

http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0507/19/B01-252312.htm

ggw

« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2005, 10:02:00 am »
Originally posted by general grievous:
  Mr. Nakatestes really has his finger on the pulse of  today's issues (at least the Drudge Report thinks so):

http://www.courant.com/features/lifestyle/hc-flipflops.artjul18,0,5412390.story?&track=rss

http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0507/19/B01-252312.htm
It was in the Washington Post today and was the focus of a "special report" on the Today show yesterday.

Can a "crew-neck-under-polo" examination be far behind?

vansmack

« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2005, 11:11:00 am »

and to top it off

haha.
 mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
How did I miss this post?

Hi, I'm vansmack.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2005, 02:06:00 pm »
As much as I hate to bring this post back up, I did like the Left Coast's response:

Flip-flop flap is so yesterday
 - C.W. Nevius
 Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The great White House flip-flop flap hit the Bay Area this week.

The reaction was predictable.

"Whatever,'' said Nikki Cheng, recent Cal grad. "We were like, 'So what?' ''

In case you have missed this rampaging debate, it can be summarized quickly. When the Northwestern University women's lacrosse team won the national championship, they were invited to visit the White House and meet President George Bush.

Nothing notable about that.

What was notable was the footwear some of the women chose to wear. Although all of them were very nicely dressed, some of them wore the casual beach-style sandals known as "flip-flops.''

The photo was taken July 12.

The controversy continues to this day.

Depending upon your point of view, the naked toes were either the last straw in a fundamental breakdown in etiquette or just another example of how far behind the curve most adults really are.

"I think many people over 25 are shocked by the casualization of America, '' says San Francisco's Charles Purdy, author of "Urban Etiquette'' and the proprietor of www.dearsocialgrace.com. "I don't think the rules have caught up yet. Flip-flops have gotten more fashionable. The girls' defense was that these were nice flip-flops.''

And they were. In case you haven't noticed, flip-flops aren't found only in the bargain bin any more. Cheng, who belonged to the influential Cal Fashion and Student Trends club before she graduated, says a trendy pair of floppers can run more than $70. But after all, you are buying fashionable, year-round footwear.

That's right, year-round.

"Everybody wears flip-flops in the winter,'' Cheng says. "Even I do it.''

The numbers reflect the flip-flop uptick. Dora Radwich of the NPD Group, an international market research firm, says their research shows flip-flop sales totaled nearly $190 million in the 12 months ending in May. And that included a 65 percent increase in sales of men's flip-flops over the previous year.

In other words, you better get used to them.

"I have even seen some guys wearing them to the prom with tuxedoes,'' says Michael Wood, vice president of Teenage Research Unlimited, which is based outside of Chicago. "It has just become acceptable.''

Not everyone agrees. There is a generation -- Purdy talks of walking in San Francisco with his 70-ish aunt, who always wore gloves and a hat when she came downtown -- that is suffering flip-flop shock. When the story hit in Chicago -- where Northwestern is located -- one newspaper ran a headline quoting one player's brother -- "YOU WORE FLIP-FLOPS TO THE WHITE HOUSE?''

"I don't know if shocked was the right word,'' says Purdy, the etiquette expert, "but I was a little surprised that no one in their group or in the White House saw a problem in it. There is a feeling that people have lost their sense of when formal dressing is required.''

In fact, asked to think of an occasion when flip-flops would not be appropriate, Gail Fiero, founder of the Internet flip-flop sales site www.walkingonroses.com -- where the new sales motto ought to be "Elegant enough for the White House'' -- said none came to mind.

"I probably wouldn't wear them to an elegant wedding,'' Fiero said, "but everybody else is.''

Especially out here on the Left Coast.

"I've worked on the East Coast and the West Coast,'' says Noel Gallagher, media relations representative at Cal, "and we are much more flip-floppy out here.''

Some think the real problem is the name. A "flip-flop'' doesn't sound like something an adult should be wearing. Perhaps because of that, some men's shoe manufacturers are attempting to re-name their product a "thong.''

Good luck with that. Personally, not only do I not want to wear a "foot thong,'' it is an image I am trying to get out of my mind. Maybe a better alternative would be to call them "slippers" or "slides," like they do in Hawaii.

So what should we do? Place an anti-flip-flop measure on the special election ballot? Ask civic leaders to denounce the flip-flop menace? Wood, from the teenage research firm, has another suggestion.

Chill out.

"I think this is very different from the noise about bare-midriff shirts and low-rise jeans,'' he says. "This isn't about baring your belly. It is about being comfortable and practical.''

Look, Cheng wears flip-flops and she graduated from Berkeley in May with a double major in mass communications and political science. Do you think she would have done better if her toes were covered?

"I think every generation has to make a fashion statement'' she says. "You wouldn't think it would be flip-flops, but it was. Personally, I would have preferred something more interesting.''

You want interesting? I've got two words for you Nikki -- penny loafers.

C.W. Nevius' column appears Tuesday and Saturday in Bay Area and in East Bay Life on Fridays. E-mail him at cwnevius@sfchronicle.com.

Page B - 1
 URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/07/26/BAGVNDTH5D1.DTL
27>34

ggw

« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2005, 02:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 "I've worked on the East Coast and the West Coast,'' says Noel Gallagher, media relations representative at Cal, "and we are much more flip-floppy out here.''

I knew their latest album hadn't sold very well, but who knew that poor Noel had to take up a second gig?