Author Topic: is doing this for a living worth your $25?  (Read 28094 times)

Jaguär

Re: is doing this for a living worth your $25?
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2003, 03:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:
  maybe teachers should wear leather pants (and be armed with whips), too, hell, nothing else seems to be working
:D  Then maybe I'll go back to teaching.

bra

« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2003, 05:42:00 pm »
My two cents...
 I've been in DC for the past two years attending school and not able to go to as many shows, or get my head into as many new bands, as I would've liked.  The 930 club has been there for me, though, and I've been surprised how many people showed up to what.  Puffy Ami Yumi was awesome, I got to see South up real close when they opened for Cornelius, who I watched from the second floor pretty much front and center -  perfect for his AV show, Starsailor somehow packing the place, and now hoping to buy some Blur tickets.  

25 bucks for Blur minus their guitarist is what I'd expect. I shelled out around that to see them with Pulp way back in 98? on the Parklife tour, but in a much larger GA venue - the Palace in LA. Then I saw them at the Wiltern, that had seats, and though everyone almost stood, you could only boogie about a foot in front of you while banging your knees on the back of the seat.  

I judge the money-factor after I leave the show rather than before, though I'm betting that I won't be thinking about the ticket price after Blur burns through their set list.  930 is such a snug size and great sound, we are blessed.  These are the shows that make you miss other shows and save up for.  Can't wait to pogo.

lily1

« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2003, 10:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Personally, I think we need more apprenticeships that train and lead to real jobs, and a little less college herding that often invests a lot of money and time but leaves the students lost and bewildered. Real training, not mass marketing training. Don't get me wrong, I love learning, I'm just disillusioned with the business of higher learning.
i concur with that. i worked in higher education and saw both sides of things. jag is spot on.

jag, you should write a book about your experiences.