Author Topic: is doing this for a living worth your $25?  (Read 28099 times)

Yank

Re: is doing this for a living worth your $25?
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2003, 12:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  "3 entries found for plutocracy.
 plu·toc·ra·cy    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (pl-tkr-s)
 n. pl. plu·toc·ra·cies

1. Government by the wealthy.
 2. A wealthy class that controls a government.
 3. A government or state in which the wealthy rule

sound familiar Minnie"

That's exactly what America is.

Oh uh! Mankie and Mark...Sorry, Andrew, have agreed with each other twice in the same day!   :eek:  
I think you two have been away from home for too long!

Yank

« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2003, 12:50:00 pm »
  Hey, I never said the "plutocracy" was a bad thing, but with all the soft money and special interest money it is definately a government controlled by the wealthy.
Hey Mankie, since you, Rhett and I are such good mates who like to correct each others spelling..... it's definitely, not definately.  Look it up!!!!!!!   :)

sonickteam2

« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2003, 12:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Andrew WK:

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

[qb] hold up! almost ALL kids get to college?  Thats the silliest thing I have heard in a while.  Even if it IS more than 50% (which i am not even sure about), its certainly not almost all. [/b]
I was told it was near 80%, sorry if I am so far wrong. The smartest kids can get scholarships too, can they not? [/b]
not to be a jerk, but i had to look it up, because 80% was too high for me to believe!

from USAtoday from last June and according to census...granted, its the census so its not perfect, but its as good as any other source, and i dont see the fact that the people are over 25 only would make that big of a difference in the percentage....

The Census data, based on estimates from the long form sent to one in six households, showed that among people 25 and older:

21% of Americans had taken some college courses but had not earned a degree in 2000, compared with 18.7% 10 years earlier.

15.5% had earned a bachelor's degree but no higher, compared with 13.1% in 1990.

8.9% earned graduate or professional degrees, compared with 7.2% earlier.

at least we are improving!!!

Yank

« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2003, 01:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by Yank:

n. pl. plu·toc·ra·cies

sound familiar Minnie"

Oh uh! Mankie and Mark...Sorry, Andrew, have agreed with each other twice in the same day!     :eek:    
I think you two have been away from home for too long! [/b]
I just pulled out the Webster Dictionary.  It comes from the Greek ploutokratia which means 'arrogant English bastards'.  No shit!!!!

Yank

« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2003, 01:08:00 pm »

n. pl. plu·toc·ra·cies

sound familiar Minnie"

Oh uh! Mankie and Mark...Sorry, Andrew, have agreed with each other twice in the same day!     :eek:    
I think you two have been away from home for too long! [/b]
I just pulled out the Webster Dictionary.  It comes from the Greek ploutokratia which means 'arrogant English bastards'.  No shit!!!! [/b]

« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2003, 01:13:00 pm »
I bet the working poor don't sit around and talk on internet chatboards all day whilst at work...

Jaguär

« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2003, 01:23:00 pm »

[qb] hold up! almost ALL kids get to college?  Thats the silliest thing I have heard in a while.  Even if it IS more than 50% (which i am not even sure about), its certainly not almost all. [/b]
I was told it was near 80%, sorry if I am so far wrong. The smartest kids can get scholarships too, can they not? [/b]
Can , perhaps, but I dont know if you went to an inner city school, but they dont normally teach well enough to prepare anyone for college. But maybe those are just those 20% we can forget about! [/b]
You obviously have no clue as to the real reason, I'm sorry, reasons why the inner shitty schools are failing. I won't go off in this thread with some of them and I don't really feel like discussing it anymore right now.

Another point, since American society has been lowered to a service oriented society, sometime around the Reagan administration, we now have way too many college educated adults. Too many of these institutions are now nothing but paper mills generating business for their own sake while many of the degreed can't use their degrees because of the job market and the over-saturation of those with the 'right' papers. Though this does not take into account all of the highly specified jobs that will rarely allow those to cross-over their skills or credentials or won't train newer employees. Sure we have lots of degreed people but it doesn't mean what it use to mean years ago. An undergraduate degree has now replaced the high school diploma. When it comes down to it, a degree doesn't mean shit for a lot of the jobs that keep our country going. College is often over-sold and often students are misdirected as to what would be their best options for their own personal futures.

Concerning meritocracies, they sound perfect on paper and would be great if run fairly and honestly but in my last job I've witnessed some of the biggest and most unfair scams pulled on very hard working and deserving employees. One year, all of the principals were told that they were not allowed to give anyone a satisfactory or above on some evaluation. This was system wide. (Don't even ask about the fucking Union! Those corrupt bastards are tied in with the shit who made these decisions.) This was told without any concern for the abilities and qualities of anyone involved. I have no idea whether this was a scam to hold back on pay roll, a psychological game or what. I've also seen very inferior or mediocre 'friends' receive the goods while others who were much more deserving went without. There are so many games played and ways around and my last employer are masters at the game of deceit. Would be great if it worked without the shit that floats at the top.

Celeste

« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2003, 01:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I bet the working poor don't sit around and talk on internet chatboards all day whilst at work...
Very true...I didn't when I was waitressing and none of the folks in that book "Nickeled and Dimed" did either...

Good points on your part, too, Jag

mankie

« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2003, 02:01:00 pm »
 [QB]

I just pulled out the Webster Dictionary.  It comes from the Greek ploutokratia which means 'arrogant English bastards'.  No shit!!!!

[QUOTE}

...are there any other kind ?

sonickteam2

« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2003, 02:08:00 pm »
QUOTE]You obviously have no clue as to the real reason, I'm sorry, reasons why the inner shitty schools are failing. I won't go off in this thread with some of them and I don't really feel like discussing it anymore right now.
 [/QB][/QUOTE]

no clue? I have enough of one i think since i was IN ONE!  and i wasnt really even saying that they were failing. My point was just that there are a wide range of schools and preparation for college.  Not everyone goes to the "same school".  Hell, I dont know what the hell goes on in private schools?  maybe they spend all of thier time breaking up fights and talking about why so and so isnt here anymore, and maybe they have one teacher all year long instead of 4.

My point was, some of us may have gone to schools where %80 went to college, but not all of us did. Therefore it may seem to some that many many people go to college, when that may not be true.

and yeah, lets NOT talk about the reasons city schools fail, its kind of a sad story.

Yank

« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2003, 02:14:00 pm »

[QB]

[QUOTE}

...are there any other kind ? [/b]
Nice one Mankie.    ;)

« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2003, 02:17:00 pm »
They call their teachers by their first names in private schools.

QUOTE]You obviously have no clue as to the real reason, I'm sorry, reasons why the inner shitty schools are failing. I won't go off in this thread with some of them and I don't really feel like discussing it anymore right now.

no clue? I have enough of one i think since i was IN ONE!  and i wasnt really even saying that they were failing. My point was just that there are a wide range of schools and preparation for college.  Not everyone goes to the "same school".  Hell, I dont know what the hell goes on in private schools?  maybe they spend all of thier time breaking up fights and talking about why so and so isnt here anymore, and maybe they have one teacher all year long instead of 4.

My point was, some of us may have gone to schools where %80 went to college, but not all of us did. Therefore it may seem to some that many many people go to college, when that may not be true.

and yeah, lets NOT talk about the reasons city schools fail, its kind of a sad story. [/QB][/QUOTE]

sonickteam2

« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2003, 02:27:00 pm »

wow, thats pretty interesting. i bet most public schools dont do that.

ggw

« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2003, 02:29:00 pm »

wow, thats pretty interesting. i bet most public schools dont do that. [/b]
In what private schools do they call their teachers by their first names?

mankie

« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2003, 02:31:00 pm »
Homeschooled children call their teachers "mom" or "dad".