Author Topic: is doing this for a living worth your $25?  (Read 28097 times)

thirsty moore

Re: is doing this for a living worth your $25?
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2003, 02:34:00 pm »
There was this one ginger kid that lived up the street from me that was homeschooled.  His parents were from Vermont.  He called his parents by their first names.  

Originally posted by mankie:
  Homeschooled children call their teachers "mom" or "dad".

sonickteam2

« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2003, 02:35:00 pm »
We had a police officer teach our class one year and we called him Officer Henderson.

mankie

« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2003, 02:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
 [QB]

There was this one ginger kid that lived up the street from me that was homeschooled.  His parents were from Vermont.  He called his parents by their first names.  

When my daughter was three years old she asked me if she could call me by my first name. I said no, so she told me I must call her "daughter" from now on!

Bloody kids!

« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2003, 02:44:00 pm »
When in the midst of searching for a job years ago, I interviewed at both the Capitol Hill Day School and Sidwell Friends (the middle school). I seem to remember both of those places having the students call the teachers by their first names.

Originally posted by ggw:

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  They call their teachers by their first names in private schools.

wow, thats pretty interesting. i bet most public schools dont do that. [/b]
In what private schools do they call their teachers by their first names? [/b]

ggw

« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2003, 02:56:00 pm »
  When in the midst of searching for a job years ago, I interviewed at both the Capitol Hill Day School and Sidwell Friends (the middle school). I seem to remember both of those places having the students call the teachers by their first names.

They call their teachers by their first names in private schools.

wow, thats pretty interesting. i bet most public schools dont do that. [/b]
In what private schools do they call their teachers by their first names? [/b]
[/b]
DC Liberalism run amok.  

Back when I was in boarding school, we would have called you "Master Miller"

Metal Meltdown

« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2003, 02:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

Originally posted by mankie:

And waitresses -- scantily clad waitresses.  Maybe in little French Maid outfits.

And get rid of the miserable bastard that works the back bar and turn it into a place were these scantily clad waitresses give lap dances. [/b]
No way! He's my favorite! And that's coming from a bartender's point of view.   :)  heh

Jaguär

« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2003, 02:58:00 pm »
I'll be brief......

Most schools, both public and private, still call their teachers by Mr./Miss/Mrs.(Surname). A few teachers now and then will have a school-wide accepted nickname. (Of course a lot have nicknames not mentioned formally. LOL. In fact, I've come up with a few myself, and that was while I was teaching!)

Not all private schools are equal. It's a fallacy that all private schools are better than any public school. There are some good public schools and there are some horrendous private schools.

Sonic, I know those schools intimately from both sides. I know you innocently spoke (or typed) but you fell for a very common misconception as to what is so wrong with them. Not that all teachers try to or can teach. It's just like any other job. Some can do it and some can't. There is just so much else fucking up the system that most people have no clue is even going on.

Personally, I think we need more apprenticeships that train and lead to real jobs, and a little less college herding that often invests a lot of money and time but leaves the students lost and bewildered. Real training, not mass marketing training. Don't get me wrong, I love learning, I'm just disillusioned with the business of higher learning.

markie

« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2003, 02:59:00 pm »

Back when I was in boarding school, we would have called you "Master Miller" [/QB]
thats nothing, in my school we would of had to have called him sir.

mankie

« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2003, 03:01:00 pm »

DC Liberalism run amok.  

Back when I was in boarding school, we would have called you "Master Miller"

[/b]
Here's Harry fucking Potter again!

Jaguär

« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2003, 03:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Andrew WK:

Back when I was in boarding school, we would have called you "Master Miller" [/b]
thats nothing, in my school we would of had to have called him sir. [/QB]
We use to get called "fucking bitch" or "fucking White bitch" all the time to our faces. Then they would laugh and say, "What you gonna do about it? Send us to the principal? S/he ain't gonna do anything!" The really sick part is that they were so right. Only the teacher would end up getting disciplined or written up, not the student. This is just one of millions of examples of how the students were passively taught by the system, not the teachers. The kind of learning they shouldn't be receiving.

sonickteam2

« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2003, 03:10:00 pm »
  I'll be brief......

Most schools, both public and private, still call their teachers by Mr./Miss/Mrs.(Surname). A few teachers now and then will have a school-wide accepted nickname. (Of course a lot have nicknames not mentioned formally. LOL. In fact, I've come up with a few myself, and that was while I was teaching!)

Not all private schools are equal. It's a fallacy that all private schools are better than any public school. There are some good public schools and there are some horrendous private schools.

Sonic, I know those schools intimately from both sides. I know you innocently spoke (or typed) but you fell for a very common misconception as to what is so wrong with them. Not that all teachers try to or can teach. It's just like any other job. Some can do it and some can't. There is just so much else fucking up the system that most people have no clue is even going on.

Personally, I think we need more apprenticeships that train and lead to real jobs, and a little less college herding that often invests a lot of money and time but leaves the students lost and bewildered. Real training, not mass marketing training. Don't get me wrong, I love learning, I'm just disillusioned with the business of higher learning.
jag..you are correct, and i had not meant to come across as i was blaming the teachers for anything. in fact, the school i personally went to was so bad that i dont know any teacher that could've helped some of these kids by 10th grade.
   in fact, teachers may sometimes be the only good thing in a school.  and by the time its high school, any teacher in a corrupt school system, trying to teach classes of 55 high school kids who havent had a motivational point in thier entire lives, is going to generally lose. and get blamed more than they should.
   i definitely dont blame the teachers, in fact, i like the teachers, until they got beat up and left....

Jaguär

« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2003, 03:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by Metal Meltdown:
 next time I am at the club ill wear my leather pants ok????   :)   heh
Sounds like a deal to me.   ;)

Celeste

« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2003, 03:14:00 pm »
maybe teachers should wear leather pants (and be armed with whips), too, hell, nothing else seems to be working

Metal Meltdown

« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2003, 03:16:00 pm »

Originally posted by Metal Meltdown:
 next time I am at the club ill wear my leather pants ok????    :)    heh
Sounds like a deal to me.    ;)  [/b]
hmm..what shows might I be at here soon..Dwight Yoakam probably...the Pistols just to say Ive seen them..

Jaguär

« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2003, 03:27:00 pm »
  jag..you are correct, and i had not meant to come across as i was blaming the teachers for anything. in fact, the school i personally went to was so bad that i dont know any teacher that could've helped some of these kids by 10th grade.
   in fact, teachers may sometimes be the only good thing in a school.  and by the time its high school, any teacher in a corrupt school system, trying to teach classes of 55 high school kids who havent had a motivational point in thier entire lives, is going to generally lose. and get blamed more than they should.
   i definitely dont blame the teachers, in fact, i like the teachers, until they got beat up and left....
Oh, yes! I myself have been physically assaulted a number of times. Once I eventually found out that I had replaced a female teacher who had been beaten up. The same year that I was in that particular school the female Gym teacher was beaten up. You know those little bastards were tough to go after the Gym teacher! Found out that a well respected (by the students!) male Science teacher had been beaten up the previous year. One day, another teacher showed me some hallway that was closed off and told me that some student had murdered some other student there. (Oh, that never made the papers or news reports. I've learned that inner shitty school violence is very often hidden and suburban violence is sometimes sensationalised. None of the elementary kids-including kindergarten!- I've had who brought knives and guns to school were ever reported in the news.)

If I wanted that kind of action, I'd have joined the police force or the military. At least they have more laws, rights and equipment to defend themselves. A teacher has even less of any of the above than your average Joe on the streets.