Author Topic: Shakedown Street at 930  (Read 5936 times)

sacriforce

Re: Shakedown Street at 930
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2005, 04:31:00 pm »
Smoking weed in a bar or club is not a right, it's a (stolen) privilege

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2005, 04:34:00 pm »
Definitely agree with you on the pleats, though I find anything with a Dockers label on it to be pretty unimaginative. My uncool brother wears Dockers, and my dad wore Dockers, for cripes sake.

Originally posted by Bags:

Originally posted by MindCage:
 Wow...even I think I own a pair of khaki pants somewhere    ;)  

Well, the real question is Dockers or pleated....Khakis can be extremely cool pants, but those pleats have got to go! [/b]

Venerable Bede

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2005, 04:37:00 pm »
  Well, the real question is Dockers or pleated....Khakis can be extremely cool pants, but those pleats have got to go!
i hate the pleats, but the unpleated don't come cuffed. gotta have the cuffs.
OU812

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2005, 04:41:00 pm »
They can do that for you at the dry cleaners.

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

Well, the real question is Dockers or pleated....Khakis can be extremely cool pants, but those pleats have got to go!
i hate the pleats, but the unpleated don't come cuffed. gotta have the cuffs. [/b]

Venerable Bede

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2005, 04:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Xavier Bush, Power Forward:
  They can do that for you at the dry cleaners.

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

i hate the pleats, but the unpleated don't come cuffed. gotta have the cuffs. [/b]
[/b]
dry cleaners???  what is that?
OU812

scoop

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2005, 05:22:00 pm »
Wow..ya'll took this and ran with it. Cool.

I was just venting a little (and being a bit overly caustic) because as I understand it, at least for many people, the Crowes and kind-bud go together like peas and carrots.

So, when I saw bouncers physically searching everyone at a hippie concert, well...it just seemed a bit excessive.

Hell, the bird in the Black Crowes logo is smoking a spliff. I guess the shakedown dudes knew what to expect.

What I was initially trying to do was provide a public service announcement to tonight's concertgoers - leave it in the car, hide it very well, or get jacked at the door.

I took my own surreptitous, indoor puff at last night's concert out of a juvenile defiance more than a burning, psychopathic need for the weed. That's kinda rock-n-roll, isn't it? Maybe no one here can appreciate my admuittedly juvenile moment of clarity. Sigh. Anyway, I think I stuck it to the man and I'm glad.

For the record, I'm generally sensitive to other's people's aversion to smoke. But this is a rock club and these are the crowes, no? Kinda gotta expect it, but then again, here, maybe not. Make the club non-smoking. Make all bars non-smoking That's fine. I don't smoke cigs. And I damn sure won't plan on smoking anything at the 930 again, anyway. Whatever.

But I was also trying to articulate (admittedly lazily - it was a late night) my general frustration with the 930 Club.

In my West Coast opinion, it's uptight. And in my opinion they could frequently turn the volume up some, last night notwithstanding.

They get great shows and I frequent it fairly regularly, but my OPINION is that the staff, while maybe ruthlessly efficient at their jobs, could lighten up a little (no pun intended). I'm not indicting all of those who work there. It's just that I've witnessed a lot of attitude - and not always directed at me - that was completely unnecessary.

I've seen the doorman loudly chastise a woman who was obviously no less than 30 for having an ID that had been expired for a week. The invasive searches at the doors. The gestapo guys barging through crowded floors to collar a perpetrator with a one-hitter. Security searching in bathroom stalls for illicit behavior. They way they make you put your hand in that handprint for the stamp. Ok, not such a big deal, but it seems symbolic of the overall mindset of the club's management. "GET IN LINE AND DON"T FUCK WITH US." Ok. Got it.

I understand the need for order in a place where people are rocking out, getting excited and maybe drunk. But the staffs at rock clubs in other places, especially the South and West, seem to smile more, and they generally don't bark at patrons and frisk our nether-reigions. Again, I'm sure there are some nice staffers at 930. I've met a couple.

It just doesn't seem too inviting -- or frankly, all that rock and roll - to be patted down for a spliff at the door. I know - terrorism, weapons, etc., but at a Crowes show? Nah.

The 930 was targeting those with evil nugs of green.

Maybe I'm naive about how big a club and how big  business the 930 Club really is. Perhaps I'm bleary-eyed with nostalgia, but I  hate to see the ethos of the MAN taking charge over the rock clubs, in addition to all the arenas and other, larger venues.

I hate to see some of rock's soul stripped at the door.

;)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2005, 05:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by scoop:
   Anyway, I think I stuck it to the man and I'm glad.
Good job man.  Congrats.

Thanks to your "sticking it to the man", they now know that they need to step up their efforts a little more next time.  Next time the searches may be more invasive, there may be more searches in the bathroom and probably more bouncers out on the floor.  And I'm sure you'll be the first one to complain.

You really showed 'em.

ggw

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2005, 05:35:00 pm »
Of the hundred or so shows I've seen at the club over the years, I can only recall being patted down twice.  I have never found the staff to be overly invasive or eager to bust people (like the jarheads at the Bayou used to be, for example).

Places like the old Roxy, where you could smoke a spliff while sitting at the bar, were great; but it was also nay impossible to get a drink in less than fifteen minutes because that sort of lackadaisical attitude just sort of pervaded everything.

The 9:30 runs things smoothly and "professionally."  Maybe that is a little antithetical to the spirit of rock'n roll, but it's okay with me now that I am over 30.  Frankly, one can get away with smoking dope in the club fairly easily if one wants to; just like any other place.  Not that I make it a regular habit, but I have done it on occasion.

definitivedoodle

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2005, 06:25:00 pm »
for all the times i have been searched at the 930 club nothing is compaired to the crap that people have to go through at Nations. so if your going to blaze, hide it well, and go into the middle, have a buddy smoke a cig or a clove and be marry.

Bags

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2005, 06:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  lackadaisical attitude
God bless you for not writing "lacksadaisical" (or maybe some spell it laxadaisical -- a pet peeve of mine).

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2005, 06:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by definitivedoodle:
  for all the times i have been searched at the 930 club nothing is compaired to the crap that people have to go through at Nations. so if your going to blaze, hide it well, and go into the middle, have a buddy smoke a cig or a clove and be marry.
merry , thanksverymuch.

definitivedoodle

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2005, 08:05:00 pm »
think there was shakedown for the black crows wait when Damian Marley steps on the floor.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2005, 11:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Frankly, one can get away with smoking dope in the club fairly easily if one wants to; just like any other place.  Not that I make it a regular habit, but I have done it on occasion.
very true, i don't do it often and haven't done it in a while, but it's not a big deal if you know what you're doing ... the only place i've been kicked out for smoking weed was at the black cat, and that was just for being drunk as hell in college and really stupid, the nerdy bespectacled guy who kicked me out was almost apologetic
(o|o)