Author Topic: are The Police ticket prices a joke?  (Read 10977 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: are The Police ticket prices a joke?
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2007, 05:28:00 pm »
Sorry Rhett but I have to favor Bags' side of this arguement...and that's coming from someone who can't stand the band. Though, as far as 'cutting edge' is concerned, I tend to think of them more as being a dull knife in a set of cutting edge cutlery.

I will admit that when the college stations first got ahold of the song "Roxanne", I did like it for about 4 months. Then something went terribly wrong within my head between my ears and my brain and it's been all over with since then. To this day, Sting's voice grates on my nerves so bad that I avoid it as much as possible. And that's not even taking his personality into consideration.

Back then, the Balt./Wash. area was loaded with great radio, some of which had direct lines to the NYC and UK underground. (I know, hard to believe for you more recent arrivals.) We got the song early on (late 70s) and one of it's trademarks for being cutting edge is that it helped to introduce the Raggae or Ska beat into New Wave and Punk music. Prior to that, at least within the US, any kind of Raggae or Ska was generally limited to other kinds of rock or left to it's own genre. The exception would be some of the Ska and Black & White scene that was coming out of the UK but The Police were about the 1st to make it popular in other parts of the world. I might be wrong but I think The Clash came along (to the US college market) just afterwards. So, in those regards alone, you have to recognize them as being 'cutting edge'. Actually, pretty much all of their earlier works had that sound and they were very much credited and known for this.

About 2 years later, their music seeped into the Mainstream, with many thinking that "Roxanne" was a new song, and by then, it wasn't quite as obvious. As what usually happens, those who thought this was a new song didn't realize the importance of their influence within the New Wave and Punk scenes as many others then took those ideas and used it within their own music. By then, it was a crap shoot as to which band heard whom first as to who actually influenced them since those sorts of sounds became widely popular and you could then hear them everywhere. Back then, The Police were actually included within the Punk genre but eventually became disenfranchised as they became more Mainstream and Punk went more hardcore.

With all of that said, I still can't stand them! I always liked Stewart Copeland though but that has much more to do with him once being a member of Curved Air than anything else. Always loved that band.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2007, 03:55:00 pm »
im a best buy rewards zone member and did get a code for the tix on ticketmaster. but i still couldnt get a damn ticket at MSG. maybe lots of people were using it, or theres very limited tix. dont know. any way, at that price and MSG, dont think ill be seeing the police.
HeyLa

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2007, 07:16:00 pm »
i was talking about reggae influences on rock in a separate thread about elton john, but wasn't his "jamaica jerk-off" on 73's "goodbye yellow brick road" fairly widely heard in the states?
(o|o)

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2007, 09:26:00 pm »
I had that album.  Jamaica Jerk Chicken wasn't a hit.  Island Girl was a minor hit.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2007, 02:27:00 am »
Hoya, Elton John was never New Wave or Punk. Go back and you will notice that I specified within those genres. Eric Clapton did it before Elton but, again, The Police helped to bring it into the newer styles during the late 70s. Believe me, they were very much recognized as such at the time but over the years, it's been pretty much forgotten.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2007, 03:20:00 am »
makes sense
(o|o)

Bags

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »
Had three friends trying for Friday New York tickets during the third pre-sale, and none of them got tickes.

Hope this means there's a big allotment left for the general sale, but I'm not optimistic.  I think more NY shows will be added...

vansmack

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »
Just got me two tickets for the First Deck of the SF show on June 13.  I could have had field seats but smackette hates the field.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2007, 04:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  Just got me two tickets for the First Deck of the SF show on June 13.  I could have had field seats but smackette hates the field.
didn't want to sit on the infield dirt?
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
 didn't want to sit on the infield dirt?
The only time I'm going back on that grass is when we win the AL West in your back yard.  Again.
27>34

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2007, 09:01:00 pm »
the police recently gave me a ticket for $50.   :(
_\|/_

eros

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2007, 12:57:00 pm »
On the Best Buy page where they give out the presale codes, the DC date that was previously "TBD" is now completely gone...
ʎɐʍou

Vas Deferens

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2007, 02:43:00 pm »
I read somewhere that it will be in Baltimore?
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »
last i heard, it was supposed to be in baltimore but they couldn't get M&T bank stadium on the desired day - ravens and 'skins are having a skirmish/scrimmage/whatever on the day that worked best for the tour.  haven't heard anything since then.
<sig>

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2007, 09:53:00 am »
I used my Best Buy rewards zone (which I signed up for as an afterthought when I bought some $4.99 DVD or something.  I think it USED to cost money to be a member but now it's free) pre-sale password for tickets at Hershey.  I think they HAVE to add a DC/Baltmore date but Hershey's only about two hours away.  

I actually lucked out and got two $90 tickets in the A section.

Now, before those of you who like the Police become jealous, let me tell you I went to U2's Pop Mart show at the Meadowlands and paid $60 for what HAD to be some of the worst seats in the stadium.  And they were the upper tier tickets!  Apparently there were $40 tickets SOMEWHERE.  So that's a tradeoff, right?

This was before U2 came to their senses and realized that they were the only "important" band left.  Which meant that they could charge $150+ to perform lame Oasis-like perfect-copy retreads of what they did twenty years ago.  

Only not as good.

Brian Wallace