Author Topic: Best Dylan Song  (Read 4874 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Best Dylan Song
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2003, 12:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mobius:
  Tangled Up in Blue
Tangled up in Blue is my favorite too.  Here's why....

I have an older brother...He was quite a bit older than me and when I was 6 or 7 he was your typical mid-late 70's teenage misfit.....Long hair, smokin tons of weed and dust, riding a skateboard.  Anyway, he played guitar and between that and the long hair I thought he was a freaking rock star.  I idolized him.  But he was a pretty messed up kid.

He pretty much left home when he was 15 or so and was in tons of foster homes, reform schools and institutions.  When he was 20 or so he lived in Shepardstown WVa. and I went out there one day to visit him.  

We walked from his place down to this scenic overlook high above the Shennandoah river.  He had his acoustic guitar with him and we sat up there and he played Tangled Up in Blue by Bob Dylan.  I'd never heard the song before but I was 12 or 13 and thought it was the greatest thing ever written.

A few months later my brother passed away and that is maybe the last great memory I have of him......

Just kidding...that last part of the story about my brother dying is a lie.  I couldn't resist.  He's actually living in Austin and doing quite well.  The rest of the story is true...and I still love that song cuz of that day in WVa.

raebyddet

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2003, 02:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkman:

Originally posted by raebyddet:
  Well it sounds like everyone one will be going to see Dylan in his new big movie roll.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/masked/  
I saw the preview and CAN'T WAIT. So excited. [/b]
The preview does look interesting. I'm not sure if I will see it in the theater, but on DVD for sure.

mankie

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2003, 02:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by chaz:

Tangled Up in Blue

I have an older brother...He was quite a bit older than me and when I was 6 or 7 he was your typical mid-late 70's teenage misfit.....Long hair, smokin tons of weed and dust, riding a skateboard.  Anyway, he played guitar and between that and the long hair I thought he was a freaking rock star.  I idolized him.  But he was a pretty messed up kid.

He pretty much left home when he was 15 or so and was in tons of foster homes, reform schools and institutions.  When he was 20 or so he lived in Shepardstown WVa. and I went out there one day to visit him.  

We walked from his place down to this scenic overlook high above the Shennandoah river.  He had his acoustic guitar with him and we sat up there and he played Tangled Up in Blue by Bob Dylan.  I'd never heard the song before but I was 12 or 13 and thought it was the greatest thing ever written.

A few months later my brother passed away and that is maybe the last great memory I have of him......

Just kidding...that last part of the story about my brother dying is a lie.  I couldn't resist.  He's actually living in Austin and doing quite well.  The rest of the story is true...and I still love that song cuz of that day in WVa. [/b]
The brother dying was a better ending...not in reality of course, just for the impact of your story.

chaz

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2003, 03:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Tangled Up in Blue

Just kidding...that last part of the story about my brother dying is a lie.  I couldn't resist.  He's actually living in Austin and doing quite well.  The rest of the story is true...and I still love that song cuz of that day in WVa. [/b]
The brother dying was a better ending...not in reality of course, just for the impact of your story. [/b]
Yeah i agree.  Next time I'll just stick to fiction....although it did seem crass and cold to kill my brother for the sake of some silly story on some stupid message board.

thirsty moore

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2003, 03:36:00 pm »
I'm sure he's smiling down from Heaven.

ggw

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2003, 03:42:00 pm »
 although it did seem crass and cold to kill my brother for the sake of some silly story on some stupid message board.
Clapton turned his kid's death into a grammy and a platinum album -- its all good.

chaz

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2003, 03:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

although it did seem crass and cold to kill my brother for the sake of some silly story on some stupid message board.
Clapton turned his kid's death into a grammy and a platinum album -- its all good. [/b]
I once heard someone bust on Clapton in the form of a Rap song....It went something like "Your baby fell out da window and went splat/Eric Clapton got 4 Grammys like that!"

thirsty moore

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2003, 03:52:00 pm »
What the hell was up with that old guy in the background playing congas in the video for "Tears in Heaven"?

ggw

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2003, 04:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  What the hell was up with that old guy in the background playing congas in the video for "Tears in Heaven"?
Metaphor for St. Peter