Author Topic: Roll Call: Sonic Youth  (Read 5430 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Roll Call: Sonic Youth
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2004, 10:54:00 am »
Yeah...it was interesting to see them doing the feedback thing, but I felt like after a certain point it just lost me a bit. I would have liked a few more of their "hits"...maybe "Bull in the Heather" and something like "Kool Thing". But hey, Sonic Youth has never been that type of band and in a way that's what I love about them. That's why they're still around. It's amazing to see how much they rock out during "Pattern Recognition". And Kim Gordon looked incredible.  :)

Guiny

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2004, 11:18:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
  Ok, I must be lost with the names again, does Skeeter = Bombay Chutney? If so, then we were standing right next to each other at the bar ten mintues before SY came on.
Yeah - That's me. I changed my name about a week ago. I guess I was pre-occupied getting my beer.  Didn't notice you were right next to me at the bar.  Sorry about that. [/b]
I bet if I spilled your beer on you, you woulda noticed I was there.

thirsty moore

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2004, 11:20:00 am »
On my walk home I had the pleasure of running into the guy that screams about how nobody likes him because he's white.

sonickteam2

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2004, 11:25:00 am »
Originally posted by econo:
  On my walk home I had the pleasure of running into the guy that screams about how nobody likes him because he's white.
Ben Folds?

thirsty moore

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2004, 11:26:00 am »
More like Darius Rucker.

ratioci nation

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2004, 11:29:00 am »
that guy is a real treat, was hoping I would not run in to him last night, and luckily did not, he also likes to tell people these days how he has been banned from being on most of the streets around that area, doesnt stop him from being there

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2004, 11:37:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
  I bet if I spilled your beer on you, you woulda noticed I was there.
Yeah - that would have done it.

SalParadise

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2004, 03:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by bunnyman:
    And Kim Gordon looked incredible.   :)  
yes she did.

those changing-color boxes onstage were a nice touch. i especially liked when they glowed bright orange, coupled together w/ the blue curtain backdrop.

and thank you, 930 music person, for playing "hold on" as the filing out music.

snailhook

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2004, 05:45:00 pm »
as usual, i thought sonic youth were incredible. it was the first time i'd ever seen both "burning spear" and "PCH", and they did not disappoint. "eric's trip" was ferocious, and "schizophrenia" remains one of the most beautiful songs they've ever written.

of the new songs, they played my two favorites first: "i love you golden blue" and "stones". "pattern recognition" was intense and as vital as anything in SY's past.

i know i'm a freak, but i could listen to feedback all day. some of my favorite parts of their sets are when they go on those long feedback tangents. i wish they'd bring back "diamond sea".

sonic youth, in my opinion, once again solidified their hold as one of the great psych bands of the last two decades. they never disappoint me.

jim o'rourke did look kinda bored, though.

white magic blew me away...they've improved significantly from last year. i almost lost my shit when they covered the great society's "grimly forming." mira's vocals are haunting, and the guitarist pulled off some sick psych riffing. i got there right after the majik markers left the stage, so i missed whatever noise they brought.

Captain Jack

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2004, 11:56:00 pm »
yeah, Kim Gordon = transperent dress, visible thong, still a goddess.

Great show though. Expressway to Yr Skull was definitely one of the encores. I thought it was spectacular when Thurstone has his guitar on top of the stacks and then stood on top of it. The final ten minutes of feedback were well done I thought.

Bags

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2004, 03:17:00 pm »
washingtonpost.com
 Sonic Youth, in the Raw
 Friday, August 13, 2004; Page C04

Customarily, rock bands wait until the climax of their performance before they start battering the guitars and summoning feedback from the amps. For Sonic Youth, however, raw electric noise is essence rather than embellishment. Wednesday night at the 9:30 club, the New York-based quintet opened with drones and squeals, setting the raucous tone for its nearly two-hour set.

The band drew heavily on its latest album, "Sonic Nurse," but many of the songs were altered beyond recognition. The vocals were buried in the mix, although bassist Kim Gordon's raspy soprano sometimes penetrated the din, especially during the insistent "Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream." While such numbers as "Pattern Recognition" and "Paper Cup Exit" began with identifiable riffs, they soon moved into unpredictable territory.

Guitarists Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo and Jim O'Rourke played lyrical exchanges and interlocking modal vamps, but they also banged their instruments on the stage and attacked them with drumsticks. During some arrhythmic passages, the guitars sounded like prepared pianos, more John Cage than Les Paul.

Over the course of its 22-year recording career, Sonic Youth has recorded punky rockers and pensive ballads. The latter have dominated the group's recent albums, and were well represented when it performed at the 9:30 club two Augusts ago. Any thought that the band has abandoned sheer clamor, however, was dispelled Wednesday. The show may have overemphasized a single aspect of the band's style, but it did so exuberantly.

-- Mark Jenkins

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2004, 12:33:00 am »
set list, anyone?

thirsty moore

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2004, 08:47:00 am »
Posted by Bunnyman a page back.

Love You Golden Blue
 Stones
 Pattern Recognition (excellent)
 Unmade Bed
 Eric's Trip
 Mariah Carey
 Burning Spear
 New Hampshire
 Paper Cup Exit
 Schizophrenia
 Dude Ranch Nurse
 Drunken Butterfly
 ------------------
 Rain on Tin
 Pacific Coast Highway
 ------------------
 Expressway to Yr Skull

ggw

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2004, 09:37:00 am »
Rhett?