Author Topic: Coachella movie roll call  (Read 5320 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Coachella movie roll call
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2006, 04:28:00 pm »
Kind of like Peaches, except she only had 2 dancers/strippers. And she did play guitar when she wasn't fellating strap-on dildos or spitting fake blood on the audience.

joz

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2006, 04:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  Kind of like Peaches, except she only had 2 dancers/strippers. And she did play guitar when she wasn't fellating strap-on dildos or spitting fake blood on the audience.
i was supposed to go to that show and something came up...sounds like i missed a good one.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2006, 04:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by Glass Arm Shattering:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

I'm mixed about wanting to see the movie. Would love to see it just because it's Coachella yet they seem to focus mostly on all of the bands that I have absolutely no interest in whatsoever. [/b]
I thought about the hundreds of bands who were not on film. But there is no way to fit everyone, and for the good of the films success, they have to use artists that have some name recognition. [/b]
I fully understand what you are saying and can appreciate that but that won't make me decide to buy a ticket.

Seems at least a few lesser known bands should have had at least a few minutes just to portray the whole broad festival atmosphere. Did they have anyone like that?

Always good comic relief to include any of the Gallagher brothers insights.   :D  

Fisherspooner is a good choice just to dress up the visuals of the film so I am all for them being included even though I'm not a fan of their music.

Would someone please kill the Red Hot Chili Peppers!?!?!?!? I'd be willing to wade through a river of Bright Eyes tears for that favor alone!

The more I think about it, for me personally, I suspect that this film would be best left to vegging out at home some night on tv or on DVD.

bearman🐻

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2006, 04:55:00 pm »
Jaguar, I think that the ultimate thing that makes the movie worth seeing is the recurring theme that music brings all these people together, which is what makes Coachella so darn special. Though you don't like a lot of the bands, it's still really neat to see the diversity of the musicians as well as the audience. I like the fact that the movie highlights that folks come up from Mexico or fly from Japan. And ultimately I think it's the type of film that a lot of people who just enjoy music would appreciate. Even though I don't care for Bjork, I still was interested to see her performance and how it contrasts with something like Iggy and the Stooges or Oasis. I think the movie explores the idea of people maintaining some kind of identity even within a community. Maybe it's a little far-reaching, but I think someday a movie like this could really be an important document chronicling what is essentially a fragment of culture. For us, it's about seeing bands that we may like or love or hate, but in a way it's a pretty nice snapshot in time of how music brings people together. (Sorry if I sounded a little like Perry Farrell there.) I just think you should give it a chance. You might be surprised.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2006, 05:08:00 pm »
You make a very good point Bearman. A good filmmaker can do that even with the worst of lineups. Guess that's something that is too often overshadowed by the performers when creating such a documentary.

joz

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2006, 12:52:00 pm »
  I think someday a movie like this could really be an important document chronicling what is essentially a fragment of culture.  
i think that's giving this doc a bit too much credit. it's certainly no woodstock or monterey pop festival. in addition to the poor representation of the diversity of coachella line-ups and the poor editing, the interviews with attendees/campers and bands even were pretty lame. woodstock was a 3-day festival while coachella's had a few years to gather footage so i'm really not too impressed. i've been to coachella and it's by far the best festival experience i've had, but this film really didn't capture it for me.

bearman🐻

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2006, 01:24:00 pm »
But what other films like that are being made today? There's a HUGE gap between Monterey and Woodstock and then Coachella. Nothing on Lollapalooza was ever chronicled. I just think that if someone 100 years from now wanted some kind of cultural artifact, this would be up there in terms of what was created and offered. I think it shows how far music has come since the 1960's, even if a talent like Jimi Hendrix or the Who isn't there. That being said, you make a fair point on artist representation. But I also think that it is important for movies like this to be made. It sure beats a "Woodstock 1999" documentary, that's for sure.

Dandy01

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2006, 01:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Glass Arm Shattering:

Originally posted by joz:

i was also blown away by fischerspooner...has anyone on the board seen him live otherwise? [/b]
Actually, yes. They played 930 in 2003.  It felt more like a Vegas revue than a concert. No instruments on stage; just Fischer and Spooner and 30 dancers. It was a fun show. [/b]
I was there.  I also saw the live taping of the Jimmy Kimmel show after Coachella.

joz

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2006, 06:18:00 pm »
  It sure beats a "Woodstock 1999" documentary, that's for sure.
touche pussycat.

Shiverintheshadows

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2006, 01:58:00 pm »
Stylus Magazine Review (Feb. 20, 2006)

Movie Review
 Coachella
 Director: Drew Thomas
 Cast: Wayne Coyne; Iggy Pop; Conor Oberst; Bjork; Jack and Meg White; Noel Gallagher; the Pixies
 B-

The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival is one of the most obviously documentable subjects within the artistic community, offering a sufficiency of human weirdness in any direction one might be inclined to point a camera??the stages, the tents, the exhibits, the throngs of brittle, asymmetrically haircutted indie kids withering in the unfamiliar sunshine. Coachella, a film by Drew Thomas, played the art-houses earlier this year as the faithful awaited the announcement of the 2006 lineup (Tool? Seriously?). It collects live performances, interviews with artists and comments from random yahoos in the crowd about the transcendent, unifying power of music, and so on.

The more ink a performance received, the more likely it is to be featured here. There's Wayne Coyne in his giant hamster ball; Bright Eyes staring all deer-eyed into the crowd, trying to talk himself off a ledge; Iggy Pop humping inanimate objects; Bjork being all Bjork-y; Belle and Sebastian getting down with their twee selves; the Polyphonic Spree preparing to drink the Kool-Aid; the White Stripes before Jack's creepy Michael Jackson phase. The Pixies' "Where Is My Mind?,? from 2004, is included by necessity, as is Arcade Fire's "Rebellion (Lies)" from last year. Placed nearly side-by-side, toward the end of the film, these performances nicely illustrate the twin functions of Coachella's musical stages??to heap laurels upon old-timers who never got the respect they deserved and to aid in the taste-making process. One Pixies fan claims most of the Coachella lineup wouldn't exist without Black Francis and Pals, a statement with which Kool Keith would probably disagree. But watching the Pixies, still very early in a reunion tour that eventually saw them beat to death the summer-festival circuit, you get the feeling Coachella was made for moments like this. I mean, we all knew that the Pixies deserved to gaze out upon a sea of adoring fans, but, three years ago, would anyone have ever expected it to happen? Coachella was also made for a band like the Arcade Fire, with whom most of rock snobdom was already familiar by that time last year, but was largely unknown to the Hot Topic crowd. Their radiant performance is the best catch-a-rising-star moment here, finding the band crystallizing its energy and perfectly seizing its day in the sun??which must have been brutal under all that funeral garb.

Hard as it is to quibble with a film that offers so much good live footage, several factors prevent Coachella from being a definitive, or even great, documentary. Disproportionate attention is paid to electronic music and to the tents, where it appears most of the serious drugs are consumed. Nothing wrong with a little techno, but the lineups seem a lot more rock-centric than what's featured here. I could be wrong about that. Nobody has the same Coachella, as alums are fond of saying, and some more fan-level material would have helped convey the disconnect of a true festival experience??that simultaneous, paradoxical rush of individual and communal sensation. Why not loan out cameras to a dozen festival-goers? Each would undoubtedly turn in a completely different film. Coachella covers a lot, but it would have benefited from focus. The little time devoted to the crowd is compulsory Journalism 101 stuff. No good stories emerge from the random, thrown-together-at-the-last-minute quotes.

We also don't get a sense of what makes this event tick. Flea is interviewed and speaks warmly of Coachella, pointing to it as an exception to the fact that American audiences have a hard time gathering outdoors for concerts without turning into Neanderthals (and he'd know). Certainly the lack of Limp Bizkit contributes to this, but little is said of the booking, the set-up and the logistics of an event that by most accounts runs quite smoothly for something of its size. A few overhead shots of the stages in relation to the tents, exhibits, and camping/parking areas, etc., would have provided some helpful perspective. The musical performances regrettably are not labeled by year, which would have served to add some historical context.

Interviews with performers are of varying coherence. Coyne is a hoot. Perry Farrell is still an endearing fruitcake. Mos Def is awesome. Noel Gallagher, not so much. The Mars Volta guys, despite abundant circumstantial evidence to the contrary, are pretty level-headed. Filmmaker Thomas unsuccessfully tries to stir up some tension toward the end by juxtaposing comments from Saul Williams with those of Gallagher about the mix of music and politics. Saul's for it. Noel??in case you're wondering, still an asshole??is not.

Otherwise, Coachella offers much of what you'd expect from a documentary on the titular subject. It won't change anyone's perception of the festival, but will provide adequate nostalgia for those who have attended and good enough reason for everyone else to get in on the fun.