Author Topic: Oscars  (Read 16794 times)

Re: Oscars
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2005, 06:17:00 pm »
I thought Hotel Rwhanda was better than Finding Neverland or Sideways. Haven't see the others.

Originally posted by bellenseb:
  I'm pulling for Cheadle too. I wish Picket Fences would come out on DVD so I could see him as the tough DA again.

npetting

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2005, 07:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  I just saw Sideways this weekend and I was a little dissapointed ... maybe it was all the hype, or maybe it's because i'm not in my late 30s / 40s, but I just didn't have the transcendent experience everyone's been gushing about ... laugh-out-loud-funny at parts, good casting and acting, definitely a good movie, but I just don't understand all the adulation (this coming from a big Payne fan)
I'm far from 30 and could appreciate Sideways tremendously.  Utter transcendence, not quite.  It's just a very very well-written film which is supported by nearly flawless performances.  Very much overrated by the critics, but that's not a surprise.  It's that kind of understated movie that is so rarely made these days, which is why it stands out.

npetting

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2005, 07:22:00 pm »
...and Giamatti did get robbed!

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2005, 10:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by streetspirit:
  ...and Giamatti did get robbed!
...and Christian Slater got stabbed!

smakawhat

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »
Best films of the year for 2004

Kitchen Stories (Norway)
 Distant (Turkey)
 Spring, Summer Fall Winter and Spring (Korea)
 The Return (Russia)

Fuck the Oscars it's a political tool for the studios and a red carpet suckfest.  Go out and see real cinema and art then this Miramax machine bullshit.

I could talk about countless Oscar snubs from this year and years past so I won't bother.  Never use the Oscars as a template for judging good cinema.. EVER.

And yes Giamatti not being nominated is a disgrace they even did it to him before not nominating him for American Splendor.

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2005, 03:42:00 pm »
My favorite movie of 2004 was selected best film in the Village Voice critics poll:

http://www.villagevoice.com/specials/take/six/

smakawhat

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2005, 03:49:00 pm »
I couldn't force myself to that film cause I never saw the first one, and felt like I needed to.  I did hear VERY good things about it though.

The top 10 list is pretty good with the exception I think of I heart huc, and Dogville which is well...  Tier... say no more.

I didn't see entry number 5 or Goddard's Notre Musique.  Really wanted to see Notre Musique.

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2005, 03:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by smakawhat:

you thought this was one of the best? Personally I couldn't stand it.

smakawhat

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2005, 03:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by palahniukkubrick:

Originally posted by smakawhat:

you thought this was one of the best? Personally I couldn't stand it. [/b]
I feel really Really REALLY  bad for you that you couldn't appreciate it.

lionforce5

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2005, 04:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  My favorite movie of 2004 was selected best film in the Village Voice critics poll:

There are certain people who will always hold a special place of contempt in my heart.  Ethan Hawke is one of those people.  Maybe it's because of his jerkass role in the uber hipster film "Reality Bites," maybe it's because he thinks he's an author, but ultimately I just can't stand him, and I feel sorta bad because it means I'll never give this movie or its predecessor a chance.  Ever.

Disclosure: Didn't mind him so much in Gattaca, but good story for that, and anyone can have a shining moment (Bruce Willis in 12 Monkeys).

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2005, 04:58:00 pm »
Note to J_Lee:

Reality Bites was a movie. Ethan was playing a role. That character was not necessarily him.

What truly made Ethan a jerkass was his cheating on his wife with another woman. Though I guess that's commonplace for Hollywood.

Originally posted by j_lee:

There are certain people who will always hold a special place of contempt in my heart.  Ethan Hawke is one of those people.  Maybe it's because of his jerkass role in the uber hipster film "Reality Bites," maybe it's because he thinks he's an author, but ultimately I just can't stand him, and I feel sorta bad because it means I'll never give this movie or its predecessor a chance.  Ever.

Disclosure: Didn't mind him so much in Gattaca, but good story for that, and anyone can have a shining moment (Bruce Willis in 12 Monkeys). [/b]

smakawhat

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2005, 05:41:00 pm »
Another mindless nomination in Oscar history Ethan Hawke in Training Day for Best sup actor..

flying in the face of all reason... and logic...

!

Dandy01

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2005, 05:58:00 pm »

Much better than the first; highly recommended.

markie

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2005, 05:59:00 pm »
I am not sure best picture really means anything anymore:

http://www.bestonly.com/movies_oscar_film.html

lionforce5

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2005, 08:09:00 pm »
  Note to J_Lee:

Reality Bites was a movie. Ethan was playing a role. That character was not necessarily him.

What truly made Ethan a jerkass was his cheating on his wife with another woman. Though I guess that's commonplace for Hollywood.
Yeah, but hating someone for their personal life would have no bearing on my wanting to see a film/listen to an album/read a book of theirs or not...Wagner was a Nazi Sympathizer but no one can doubt the brilliance of the Ring Cycle.  David Byrne was (and may still be) a self-affirmed racist, but many people still enjoy his music.  Roman Polanski was involved in a statutory rape scandal with a teenager and is a fugitive from the law but that doesn't mean he's a terrible filmmaker.   As I've said...with the exception of gattaca, I've never liked any of Ethan's film roles.  I suppose I could've been more specific about that and  gone back to his role in Explorers, complained about his butchery of the "Pip" character in the modernized Great Expectations, or his awful portrayal of "Hamlet," or his most likely less than memorable turn in "Tape" (though with Linklater connected to it the film was destined for mediocrity), derided his novels as publishible only because of his name and not worth the paper they're printed on, and yes, blithely mentioned the fact that he cheated on his wife, whom he took a vow to stay with regardless of how old and busted she started to look.

But I was lax in my critique.  Thank you for pointing that out.