Author Topic: wisdom teeth.  (Read 12487 times)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
wisdom teeth.
« on: June 14, 2007, 07:26:00 am »
the countdown is about 24 hours until i have my wisdom teeth removed and i'm more than a little freaked out because
 a) i've never had oral surgery.
 b) i haven't been put under in about 10 years
 c) i'm just a general chicken shit when it comes to medical procedures.

has anyone here had their wisdom teeth removed once they were older than 20 or so? i'm seeking some recommendations/tips/scare the shit out of me stories...

oh and, when i'm not doped up, expect lots of posts/tweets/myspace action.
nothx

alex

Re: wisdom teeth.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 08:06:00 am »
I've had like six oral surgeries between the age of 12 and 20...the first one is always fightening, but after that it's not that bad, at least compared to other surgeries.  Being put under will make it ALOT easier as you don't have to deal with massive novicane needles being jabbed into the roof of your mouth (like my first few surgeries).  Also, since it's in your mouth, whatever is done tends to heal super quickly (like within a few days).

The last one I had at age 20 (I'm 26 now) was the infamous wisdom teeth removal.  You're going to be doped up, sore and groggy for like two to three days, but most people recover pretty quickly after that.

From what I remember, Codine, salt water, ice cream and chicken noodle soup are going to be your best friends for the next few days.

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 08:13:00 am »
I was unaware the club offerred dental surgery referrals?

Please ask on craiglist instead.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 08:32:00 am »
Originally posted by Surly Bonds:
  I was unaware the club offerred dental surgery referrals?

Please ask on craiglist instead.
well, with the club also offering dog boarding suggestions and bicycle suggestions why not?

and, since i'm having the surgery tomorrow, i obviously have a surgeon already.
 please be surly elsewhere.
nothx

brennser

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 08:59:00 am »
two words.....dry socket   :eek:  

it'll most likely hurt like hell and you'll feel like complete shit for at least 2-3 days - if you're lucky, that'll be it, if not the healing process can drag out for weeks

I had my wisdom teeth out at 24

K8teebug

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 09:05:00 am »
I had all of mine cut out at once at 15 and have had craploads of other stuff (root canals, etc).

It's no big deal.  Plus, they're knocking you out so you won't remember.

Just make sure you have a nice stock of milkshakes in the freezer to eat with a spoon, not a straw.

crevers

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 09:18:00 am »
All four (impacted) wisdom teeth out at age 21.  I played golf, drank beer, and ate tacos the next day.  I don't advise doing that, but I did shoot my best round of golf (at the time) that day  :)   God bless vicodin.

nkotb

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 09:24:00 am »
I had mine done (all four) at 22 maybe.  I thought it was a breeze, but I think I was just lucky.  I was fine the very next day, with no real pain or swelling.  The only bummer for me was the whole food-caught-in-stitches thing; apparently, my surgeon didn't deem it necessary to give me that little water pick thing until AFTER I complained. Still, it was worth it, especially with saving the vicodin for recreational purposes.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 09:29:00 am »
Originally posted by dhinojwala:
  All four (impacted) wisdom teeth out at age 21.  I played golf, drank beer, and ate tacos the next day.  I don't advise doing that, but I did shoot my best round of golf (at the time) that day   :)    God bless vicodin.
as best i can tell, it's all a crapshoot. i'm hoping for the best (obviously). i'm hoping to be well enough for half-price wine night on monday.
nothx

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 09:37:00 am »
I had oral surgery just last week to have a molar taken out that was cracked. He had to cut my gum away to be able to pull it. I had the needle in the mouth method because I went back to work after the surgery. It's not all that really bad at all so don't get too worried about it, it's more the thought than the actual procedure. The plus of course is the prescription pain killers after the fact!!!!! That's the second time I had that procedure, one time back in Bethesda I was having a tooth pulled and the dentist was in the middle of it then realized he couldn't do it so called an oral surgeon while I was in his chair, then I had to drive myself over to the surgeon with blood ouzing out of my mouth. That was fun, I was just relieved I wasn't pulled over on the way with a bloody mouth and slurring my speech due to novocaine.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 09:45:00 am »
I've had all 4 wisdom teeth removed, one was impacted and done in one procedure with just a local injection and did the other 3 a few years later.  Since the local seemed to do the trick for the first one I opted for just a local to remove the other 3 as well and I'm glad I did, it only took a couple minutes to pull the first two and another 10 or so to deal with the impacted one, lied down for about 10-15 minutes, hit the ATM to pay the dentist and I was on my way.  Since I was in the middle of a move, I didn't even have the prescriptions filled that they gave me, just took ibuprofen.  I know some people react differently but I honestly think the reason some people get sick is from being put under.

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 10:01:00 am »
I bet I've had more dental work done than all of ya!

godsshoeshine

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 10:03:00 am »
i had a wisdom tooth out earlier this year. (i'm 31). it really wasnt bad at all
o/\o

nkotb

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 10:09:00 am »
You've wowed us with your lack of dental hygiene!  Kudos!  :D

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 10:16:00 am »
Sorry. Nothing to be proud of. Though now I'm a changed man.

But if anyone who has a combination of the right insurance, a big pile of spare change lying around, and major dental problems ever needs a dentist recommendation, I've got a good one I can recommend.

Originally posted by nkotb:
  You've wowed us with your lack of dental hygiene!  Kudos!   :D  

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
[/b]