Author Topic: Queens of the Stone Age  (Read 10166 times)

bearman🐻

Queens of the Stone Age
« on: January 27, 2005, 01:17:00 pm »
Sorry if this has been already been posted, but I looked all over and couldn't find anything...

Sunday, 3/27, 9:30 Club

HELL YES. "Little Sister" is an amazing song. I cannot wait to hear this new record.

Dandy01

Re: Queens of the Stone Age
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 02:07:00 pm »
It was posted on page 65 of Just Announced.. Can't wait!

bearman🐻

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 02:17:00 pm »
Ah yes, now I see it. I peruse the JA thread but always seem to miss things in it. I wonder when tickets will go on sale for this show...the London shows sold out in a matter of minutes.

Guiny

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 02:38:00 pm »
Wow, are these guys really that good? I saw them but wasn't blown away by them to say the least. I thought the opener And You Will Know Us By Trail Of Dead were much, much better. But It's looking like I'm probably in the minority on this one.

Random Citizen

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 03:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  Wow, are these guys really that good? I saw them but wasn't blown away by them to say the least. I thought the opener And You Will Know Us By Trail Of Dead were much, much better. But It's looking like I'm probably in the minority on this one.
Yeah, you are.  ;)  I saw QOTSA 5 or 6 times during their last tour and they were really great live. I really didn't care for Trail of Dead when they opened, but that tour got me turned on to the Burning Brides. The show that sticks out for me is when Turbonegro opened for QOTSA at the Norva. Ahh, memories...

It will be interesting to a) hear the new material live (new album comes out 5 days before the 9:30 show) and b) see the band post-Nick.

bearman🐻

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 04:17:00 pm »
I saw QOTSA in San Francisco in October of 2003, it will forever go down as one of the best shows I've ever seen. The first 45 minutes felt like I was in a category 5 hurricane. The stoner crowd initially just watched slack-jawed, then by the end people were just going totaly mental.

Personally, I think what makes QOTSA appealing to me is the fact that they are basically a heavy band with an undercurrent of sexuality. The songs that rock hard always sway to some degree. I think Josh said once said that their music was "hard enough for the boys but sweet enough for the girls" or something to that effect. I am curious to see how they will be without Nick Oliveri, I've always loved some of his songs...he's the druggie punk rocker who screams as good as Husker Du-era Bob Mould or Frank Black.

When they played with Trail of Dead they were still breaking in Joey Castillo...the time with Dave Grohl on drums was probably a more impressive show.

Random Citizen

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 04:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by bunnyman:
 ...the time with Dave Grohl on drums was probably a more impressive show.
I was at that show as well and it kicked my ass.  It was the kind of show that makes you say "Shit Goddamn!"  :D

I'm a big fan of Nick, so it will definitely be interesting to see what the energy's like on stage this time out. It was entertaining to watch Nick because you never knew if he would come on stage wearing clothes...or not.

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 04:28:00 pm »
I was on a high for 2 weeks after that SF show. I felt as though I had been sucked into a black hole, atomically rearranged, then spit back out. It was just insane, one of those rare concerts where it raises the bar in terms of what you think a rock'n'roll show could be. The band were wrapping up 1 1/2 years of touring and it was the last night of their proper tour (they followed up with a couple of shows). It definitely made me a compulsive QOTSA fan. They're just amazing.

distance

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 04:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by Random Citizen:
  The show that sticks out for me is when Turbonegro opened for QOTSA at the Norva. Ahh, memories...

i was there.  that was a fun show.  far more fun than i thought it would be.

i'm hoping this will be on sale by next wednesday since i'll be in dc and hopefully can buy a ticket at the box office.

jardison

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 02:49:00 pm »
If Little Sister is a good representative of the rest of their album, it will be RAWKIN'!

janesays13

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 03:53:00 pm »
i can't wait for this show, i love these guys. of course they aren't the same without nick, but i have a feeling they will be good. i've seen them 4 times i think? and each time they still amaze me. i love when they play the old songs like feel good hit of the summer

Random Citizen

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 03:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by janesays13:
 i love when they play the old songs like feel good hit of the summer
It was off their second album, not that long ago.

eltee

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 04:15:00 pm »
I'm going to ask one of the annoying questions so please don't throw pellets at me: when do tix go on sale?

Random Citizen

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005, 04:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by El Tee:
  I'm going to ask one of the annoying questions so please don't throw pellets at me: when do tix go on sale?
And I'll respond accordingly: when they show up here.
   :p

eltee

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005, 05:09:00 pm »
I got off my lazy but and checked their site...no word as of yet. However, I did see this little factoid "Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath is the new bassist"