Author Topic: Marathon Tips?  (Read 185019 times)

vansmack

Re: Marathon Tips?
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2010, 03:04:12 pm »
Rather than tie up the Rollcall thread....

I'm running my first half-marathon in Vegas in December and hope to run a full in 2011.  My training kept getting sidetracked for years, but this time I'm motivated and on it.
27>34

Vas Deferens

« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2010, 03:14:55 pm »
make sure you are fit for it...so you don't drop dead.
(_|_)

James Ford

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2010, 03:15:28 pm »
It's funny to read this thread and see my wife giving marathon advice three days before giving birth to our daughter.

I bet running a marathon is easier than a drug-free home birth.

Relaxer

« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2010, 03:18:56 pm »
I'm signed up for Marine Corp but am probably going to have to skip it. Developed a mystery pain in my achilles a few weeks ago and I can't walk without hobbling much less run. I thought I could take a week off from the final-leg training and still make it happen, but I went out Tuesday and within five blocks, it was screaming. So pissed.

I was pretty diligent about not overdoing it too. I've been putting in ~25 miles a week since the start of the year, and mostly avoiding running two days in a row, plus I was religious about stretching before and after. Such a crushing blow because I thought this was finally the time I'd make this milestone.
oword

James Ford

« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2010, 03:28:38 pm »
Stretching? What's stretching?

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2010, 03:32:55 pm »

Run trail half-marathon/marathons.  But quit before you get to those Ultra/50/100 milers.  Forget the Pavement nonsense.  Sure, you have a greater chance of injury but the lesser pounding on your knees offsets that.  Maryland/Virginia has some of the most beautiful trails/runs in the country.

Trail running is one of those rare things that's both hippie AND punk.  Like My Morning Jacket meets the Descendents.

Brian

vansmack

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2010, 03:37:46 pm »
Foot and shin injuries was always what was sidelining my training.  I kept moving the spectrum of support further to the support side in my shoes.

Then I got really sick this spring where running was not an option and my orthopedic gave me some great advice:  While we have a break here, let's try to strengthen your feet instead of compensating for what we perceive as lack of support.

So I switched to a shoe with less support but was designed to strengthen my feet and leg muscles and for three months I walked around in those.  A lot.  And now I'm nearing 3 months into training and haven't had a single problem with my feet or legs.

They're not for everybody, but I think the Nike Free Runs (or insert any other brand that simulates barefoot running) have had a huge impact on my abililty to train this fall.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2010, 03:43:32 pm »
i am hoping that 2011 is the year for me too. is the marine corps really a bad first marathon? i have heard that from a couple of people
o/\o

James Ford

« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2010, 03:47:39 pm »
I've never stretched, and have never had any foot/knee/shin injuries in the 27 years I've been running.

It's my upper back that experiences great pain when I get beyond 20 miles. Do they make some kind of ice pack I could strap to my back? I've always guessed that this is caused by me being flat footed with one leg longer than the other.

I do my long runs on a hilly, gravelly trail. Hoping that translates to the actual run being easier.

nkotb

« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2010, 03:57:13 pm »
How much do they run?  I've thought about trying them out for size, but I don't want to waste too much money if I don't like them.

They're not for everybody, but I think the Nike Free Runs (or insert any other brand that simulates barefoot running) have had a huge impact on my abililty to train this fall.

walkonby

« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2010, 04:31:15 pm »
i don't understand running marathons.  they don't get you anywhere in life.  they don't prepare you for anything, besides more running.  what are you running from.  what is there to prove besides, "hey i've run a marathon."  can you get a job from them.  can you invent something that will save humanity by doing it.  you're not going to win it.  are you raising money for a charity by doing it.  how do you the money is going where it is suppose to.  aren't you really just supporting companies (nike, reebok, gatorade, etc..) and cities who love the exposure, that prey on people who run marathons.

vansmack

« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2010, 04:33:32 pm »
How much do they run?  I've thought about trying them out for size, but I don't want to waste too much money if I don't like them.

They retail for $85 and that's pretty standard (though last year's colors are now on sale at Footlocker if they have your size - it's the exact same shoe).

If you know your size, you can get them for less at roadrunnersports.com if you join VIP.  That's 10% off, free shipping and I think I can get you $10 off that if I recommend you.  A friend of mine just got a pair for around $65.
27>34

ggw

« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2010, 04:50:05 pm »
I was set to run my fourth Marine Corps Marathon this year but developed a case of metatarsalgia (pain in the ball of my foot), the treatment for which consists mainly of not running.  Glad to see the MCM now offers deferment to the next year.

As for the question of whether it is a good first marathon, I would say maybe.  The course is not tough and there are a lot of other first-timers and weekend warriors, so that is a plus.  It has become way crowded, which is a minus.  But it always well-organized, as opposed to some others (National Marathon - I'm looking at you).  There are plenty of others (such as Chicago and Toronto) that are "easier" courses (as in flatter).  But the start line for the MCM is like a mile and a half from my house so it's always the easiest one for me to get too.

Relaxer

« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2010, 04:57:03 pm »
Glad to see the MCM now offers deferment to the next year.

Did not know that. Well, that helps a little.
oword

godsshoeshine

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2010, 08:45:46 am »
we should get seth to sponsor us next year
o/\o