Author Topic: Marathon Tips?  (Read 180638 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Marathon Tips?
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2011, 03:30:32 pm »
I don't know, this makes it sound too tempting to drop out before the finish...

In true Rock ?n? Roll fashion, Washington DC runners will be treated to a post-race finish line concert after the event. All runners receive free entry to the concert, which in 2010 featured headliner acts including Everclear, Five for Fighting, Pat Benatar & REO Speedwagon, Blues Traveler, Neon Trees and Bret Michaels.

Fortunately, I think those were all *different* races.  Cannot imagine what kind of train wreck it would be with all of them in one place at one time!

James Ford

« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2011, 03:40:25 pm »
The Mohawk-Hudson Marathon that goes from Schenectadt NY to Albany NY. Supposed to be downhill and easy, many go there to set their PR's. Needless to say, I didn't set mine.

I've never done Chicago and likely never will. My wife has and did her PR.. It's flat and fast. The course, that is.

I did my first of two marathons this month on 10/9. Temps were over 80 degrees, a bit of walking was involved, and my finish time was dreadful. One to go, then I'm retired.

Chicago then Marine Corps?  I'm doing Marine Corps, then Rehoboth in December!

nkotb

« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2011, 03:42:48 pm »
Is registration still open for this?  I've been way behind looking into races (only ever done two marathons and an 8k), so I'd love to try more.

Anyone running the nation's 1/2 March 17th?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2011, 03:46:15 pm »
Is registration still open for this?  I've been way behind looking into races (only ever done two marathons and an 8k), so I'd love to try more.

Anyone running the nation's 1/2 March 17th?

Yep!

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/usa

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2011, 03:26:27 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2011, 04:15:22 pm »
so who's running this sunday?

i'll be there, supporting the missus.  last year i ran the last 5 miles with her, but i'm having issues with my left hammy at the moment.  i'm currently listed as "questionable".

it's going to be another cold one: low saturday night of 37, eventually warming up to 54 (but only well after the marathon).
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2011, 02:53:48 pm »
First time I've ever had to go through metal detectors to pick up a free t-shirt. I could see delays for those who go at the wrong time.

Drew Carey is running in it this year. He did the half in 1:57 in May. Which means he's likely to beat me on Sunday.

ggw

« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2011, 03:13:50 pm »
I am skipping it again this year.  I got achilles tendonitis at the end of September and spent 3 weeks in an air cast.  I had done a 20 mile run by that point so I figured I would be fine for the marathon if the tendon healed in time.  It's about 80% healed, which just isn't good enough for 26.2.  Getting old sucks.

I think the weather tomorrow is going to be perfect marathon weather. 

Break a leg Ford.

James Ford

« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2011, 09:35:05 am »
After many years of trying, I finally won the Marine Corps Marathon!

The marathon itself is nothing. It's trying to navigate your way through the bullshit beyond the finish line that's the real bitch.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2011, 11:28:33 am »
Fell short of my time goal, but cut 50 minutes off my previous MCM time....   :)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2011, 03:19:36 pm »
sunday was a gorgeous day for watching the marathon after it warmed up a few degrees.  i caught the missus at miles 1, 4, 10, 15 and 17.  ran 20-22 and 24-end with her.  the was in total pain for the last few miles and it was the cheering of the crowd that got her up that last little hill at the finish (i had a great time running behind her and pumping up the crowd).  just like last year, she pushed herself in ways that i didn't know a person could.  finished in a time that would have qualified her for boston last year but this year they moved it back 5 mins so she's just out. 

is there a word that combines indescribable admiration, immense pride and total awe?  'cause that's how i feel about her performance on sunday.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2011, 04:00:22 pm »
So when are you going to get off your lazy ass and do one, Sweetcell?  ;)

hutch

« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2011, 04:08:15 pm »
is a little more than 4 hours to complete the marathon a good time?

James Ford

« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2011, 04:13:48 pm »
The average marathon times slowed a bit in 2010 compared to 2009. Median times dropped from 4:25:49 to 4:28:48 across all runners from 2009 to 2010; from 4:41:54 to 4:44:19 for women; and from 4:14:23 to 4:17:36 for men.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2011, 11:18:06 pm »
So when are you going to get off your lazy ass and do one, Sweetcell?  ;)

short answer: never.  long answer: definitely never :)  running 26.2 is an amazing accomplishment but i'm not naturally built for endurance and i don't have the discipline nor the motivation (currently) to carry me through the required months of training.  yet another reason why i admire my wife!  i have a decent tolerance for pain when needed, but i don't see myself carrying on for the sake of completing the race.  i have no doubt that somewhere between miles 14 to 18, i'd say "eff this" and collapse on the nearest sidewalk.  then i'd call a cab (or an ambulance).  it's just not my thing but i admire those who can pull it off.

is a little more than 4 hours to complete the marathon a good time?
as a non-marathoner but someone who is a little familiar with the realities of marathoning, i say that 4 hours is very impressive.  i'm an occasional runner (always less than 8 miles) and if i were to run 26.2, my stretch goal would probably be ~4:30 with ~4:45 being more realistic.  so anything around 4:00 is damn impressive, IMO.  my wife, who is very fit and trains seriously, finished her first marathon a little under 4:00 and was over the moon with her result.  this year she ran 3:36 ;D
<sig>