Author Topic: Marathon Tips?  (Read 186437 times)

K8teebug

Re: Marathon Tips?
« Reply #165 on: March 09, 2012, 10:46:27 am »
I will also be running away from that. 

nkotb

« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2012, 03:30:07 pm »
Not necessarily "marathon" related, but for you guys/gals that run during lunch...how do you do it?

With a kid at home and another on the way, my time is super limited.  I've been trying to work out in the evenings, but still want to get a run in.  And I hate waking up early, so I've been trying to run at lunch.  It was fine during the cooler months, but even today after 5 miles, I'm sweating like a pig.

James Ford

« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2012, 03:36:19 pm »
Will I get in trouble if I say that i run for more than my 30 allotted lunch minutes? And that i do it any time of the day i feel like going? I have a gym with showers that is part of my work.

My wife used to work out (and sometimes run) at lunch, she had a gym next door to her work building.

Is is the shower you are lacking, or do you just hate running midday because of the heat?

Not necessarily "marathon" related, but for you guys/gals that run during lunch...how do you do it?

With a kid at home and another on the way, my time is super limited.  I've been trying to work out in the evenings, but still want to get a run in.  And I hate waking up early, so I've been trying to run at lunch.  It was fine during the cooler months, but even today after 5 miles, I'm sweating like a pig.

nkotb

« Reply #168 on: April 09, 2012, 03:38:45 pm »
Mostly the shower.  I've take to wiping down with baby wipes, so while that's OK...I'm not at my freshest, let's say.

The heat during midday is going to get back, so we'll see what happens then.  But I can pretty much take my jog whenever I like, given my time during the day.

Will I get in trouble if I say that i run for more than my 30 allotted lunch minutes? And that i do it any time of the day i feel like going? I have a gym with showers that is part of my work.

My wife used to work out (and sometimes run) at lunch, she had a gym next door to her work building.

Is is the shower you are lacking, or do you just hate running midday because of the heat?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2012, 03:55:45 pm »
Sorry - not much help here.  I wake up around 5:00 and run before work.

vansmack

« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2012, 05:56:53 pm »
First off, don't have kids.  They ruin your life.  Have friends who have kids so you can get your fill and leave when you've had enough.

Since you've already blown the first rule, there are a couple of options.  I used to let a buddy use my place during the day to change/shower as his place of work was right next to my apt.  He'd leave a bottle of wine on my counter every now and then as a thank you.  Does anybody you know live by where you work?

Because you live in a too cold then too hot weather city, a gym membership is another possibility that was already mentioned.  You could get better use of it when it's too cold to run outside, and just as a place to shower during the spring and fall.

Lastly, any Turkish Bath houses around?
27>34

K8teebug

« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2012, 08:28:58 am »
I run after work.  I just can't get motivated to run at 5am.  I would run at lunch if we had a shower here.

nkotb

« Reply #172 on: April 10, 2012, 09:39:16 am »
I wish we had talked 3 years and one month ago :(

It's really not that big of a deal...if I don't have meetings, I don't mind stinking a bit.  I was more curious how people were able to pull it off during the day.  I live really close to my office...but adding in the extra 30 minutes to drive home, shower, and get back cuts into my run time, so I'd rather not do that.

Not a bad idea about the gym, though.  There's one of those 24 hour places up the street.  I'll have to check in on the cost, but that could work.

First off, don't have kids.  They ruin your life.  Have friends who have kids so you can get your fill and leave when you've had enough.

Since you've already blown the first rule, there are a couple of options.  I used to let a buddy use my place during the day to change/shower as his place of work was right next to my apt.  He'd leave a bottle of wine on my counter every now and then as a thank you.  Does anybody you know live by where you work?

Because you live in a too cold then too hot weather city, a gym membership is another possibility that was already mentioned.  You could get better use of it when it's too cold to run outside, and just as a place to shower during the spring and fall.

Lastly, any Turkish Bath houses around?

nkotb

« Reply #173 on: April 10, 2012, 09:40:53 am »
And yeah, I can't get motivated to do anything earlier than about 7am.

It was nice when my kid was a bit younger; he was light enough that jogging in the running stroller wasn't too bad, and was content to sit or even nap while I ran in the morning.  But once he learned to walk/run, and once he got to 30 pounds, it's been a little more difficult to take him in the mornings.  Especially since every running route for me has at least one killer hill.

K8teebug

« Reply #174 on: April 10, 2012, 10:44:41 am »
My friends who have kids are the only runners in the family.  So, their spouse/signif other watches the kid(s) while the other goes for a run.

Pushing kids in jogging strollers is hard work!

vansmack

« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2012, 02:11:47 pm »
Yes, that Boff Whalley....

Running in the wild
Aug 4th 2012 | from the Economist print edition

Run Wild. By Boff Whalley. Simon & Schuster; 279 pages; £14.99. To be published in America in September; $27.95.

TO BOFF WHALLEY, running isn?t about pounding the pavements or a treadmill. It?s the ?mud, spit and sweat? of running in the wild, through forests, up and down scraggy hills, in sunshine, rain and snow. In ?Run Wild? Mr Whalley took a year out to write a paean to fell running, the sport he first discovered with his father near his home in Lancashire, and has been enjoying around the world for the past quarter-century, alongside his day job playing in a rock band, Chumbawamba.

Urban running never appealed to Mr Whalley. The marathon is his bugbear. He wonders why so many people suffer pain and boredom in order to join the ?Sunday service at the shrine of concrete?. (He tried it once.) He reiterates this point to the verge of ranting, but his disdain for marathons is inversely proportional to his love of wild running, which sings from the pages.

Running into the wilderness seems like a simple adventure, but Mr Whalley describes some singular experiences. He conveys the lashing of a dash through a Delaware rainstorm, and the elation of feeling ?closer to sky than to sea? on the Bob Graham Round, a gruelling 24-hour circuit of England?s highest peaks. He recalls a winter?s run at dusk in the Lake District, where his panting figure on a ridge cast two shadows, one from the setting sun, the other from the rising moon. Mr Whalley?s stories tempt readers to put down the book and run for the nearest mountain.

But the rewards of this book come when Mr Whalley ventures further than his two feet into literature, science and social history. He runs a trail near Leeds trudged by thousands of 19th-century millworkers, where ?history sticks to the soles of your feet?, and he remembers the textile workers of the Luddite rebellion who protested against new mechanised looms. Mr Whalley cites research that blames built environments for the rise in obesity (all those cars and escalators), and he considers the psychology of the runner?s mind. A wintry run around Walden Pond in Massachusetts finds him musing on the transcendentalist writings of Henry David Thoreau. Other nature evangelists get a mention too, such as John Muir and Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

Mr Whalley admits that his book gets lost at times, claiming that his head follows his feet. But his tug-you-by-the-sleeve style and thoughtful asides make for an engaging journey. On one run in Yosemite national park, he escapes the tourist trail for the mountaintop and stops to exclaim, ?This is a place to shout poetry into.? So he does, choosing Muir: ?The power of imagination makes us infinite!?

Books by professional sportsmen can read like divine proclamations for the consumption of mere mortals. Mr Whalley?s amateur approach feels more egalitarian?an ethos developed perhaps during a youth of odd jobs and guitar-strumming in a squat in Leeds. This is not a how-to guide, but a call to legs: anyone can, and should, escape urban life and run, he writes. And it should be fun. This energising read will spark a desire to head for the hills.

http://www.economist.com/node/21559910
27>34

James Ford

« Reply #176 on: October 09, 2012, 08:25:52 am »
So who's doing what marathon in the next few weeks?

I did a 20 mile training run at the end of August and was planning on entering the Baltimore Marathon. Then I broke a rib 3.5 weeks ago, and haven't run since. Sucks to sit on the sidelines this year after I was that close.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #177 on: October 09, 2012, 11:18:13 am »
Marine Corps (again) on the 28th.  Had to slow waaaay down the last couple of weeks due to nagging leg pain.  I guess I won't PR this year....

nkotb

« Reply #178 on: October 09, 2012, 11:34:36 am »
No big races for me for a while...way too busy.  I need to start looking into smaller ones, just to keep moving.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #179 on: October 09, 2012, 11:57:38 am »
helping the missus with her MC prep, and i will run the last 5 miles with her... do i get partial credit for that?  
<sig>