Author Topic: Marathon Tips?  (Read 180762 times)

K8teebug

Re: Marathon Tips?
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2013, 03:39:10 pm »
looks like i've got a bib for the cherry blossom 10 miler.  i believe it will be the longest distance i have ever run, pretty sure that 9 is my current long.

Great race!  Looks like the cherry blossoms will actually be around for it this year!

James Ford

« Reply #211 on: March 14, 2013, 03:48:53 pm »
Peak dates were announced as March 26-30. Race is April 7.

looks like i've got a bib for the cherry blossom 10 miler.  i believe it will be the longest distance i have ever run, pretty sure that 9 is my current long.

Great race!  Looks like the cherry blossoms will actually be around for it this year!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #212 on: March 14, 2013, 04:35:31 pm »
Great race! 

i've heard that it's a less-than-awesome race because it's so damn crowded.  you're pretty much stuck running at the speed of the pack, which may or may not be your desired or optimal speed.

Peak dates were announced as March 26-30. Race is April 7.

blossoms should last a week after peak, so they will be around...
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #213 on: March 15, 2013, 09:01:39 am »
I ran it last year.  There were ZERO blossoms as it was 2 weeks after the peak date.  And it was still fun.  it's a crowded race, but I'm not running to win it.  I just like to run different races and have a good time.

I decided not to run it this year because I ran too many in a row last year.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #214 on: March 18, 2013, 11:28:42 am »
I ran it last year.  There were ZERO blossoms as it was 2 weeks after the peak date.  And it was still fun.  it's a crowded race, but I'm not running to win it.  I just like to run different races and have a good time.

I decided not to run it this year because I ran too many in a row last year.

FWIW, Pike's Peek is a far superior race.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2013, 12:16:27 pm »
FWIW, Pike's Peek is a far superior race.

yup, i'll be running that too however it's a 10K, not a 10 miler.
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #216 on: March 19, 2013, 08:04:50 am »
That's too close to Clyde's/Nike for me.  I run the Clyde's 10K every year.  It was my first race and it's down the street from my house.  Also, it's a really fun after-race party!

Beat my PR by 10 minutes at the Shamrock 1/2 on Sunday!  Probably would have beat it by more, but I hit a little wall at mile 11.

James Ford

« Reply #217 on: March 19, 2013, 09:03:24 am »
I've never understood why people pay money and get up early and travel to do 5K and 10K races. It seems like alot of time and effort to do something that you can do on your own anyway.

For me, that extends right up to a half marathon, as I typically run 13 miles EVERY Saturday (actually i've cut back to 9 while not training for a marathon, but it used to be 13).

Now a marathon I can understand. Having others going through the agony with you helps to push you to the finish, and having 26.2 miles of pavement without cars helps too.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #218 on: March 19, 2013, 10:09:49 am »
I've never understood why people pay money and get up early and travel to do 5K and 10K races. It seems like alot of time and effort to do something that you can do on your own anyway.

For me, that extends right up to a half marathon, as I typically run 13 miles EVERY Saturday (actually i've cut back to 9 while not training for a marathon, but it used to be 13).

A race is completely different from a training run.  I ran the RNR 1/2 at an 8:15 pace, but will likely run a fun 16-miler this weekend at a 10:30.  For my next 5K, I'm hoping to break a 7:00...but would never even attempt to do that on a Tuesday morning...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:14:54 am by grateful »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #219 on: March 19, 2013, 10:14:02 am »

Now a marathon I can understand. Having others going through the agony with you helps to push you to the finish, and having 26.2 miles of pavement without cars helps too.

we're not all you.

you're an accomplished long distance runner, WE GET IT.  for some people, 10K is a big deal.  i'm fairly confident in saying that the average american can't run 5 miles in under 50 minutes so participating in a 10K makes you above-average.

running any distance on your own - whether it's 5K or 26.2 miles - isn't the same as doing it in a timed race.  you don't push yourself in the same way, you don't have the encouragement, you don't have the resources (water, cleared roads, etc).  i've never run as hard on sunday morning as i have at a race.

your constant berating of any distance other than a full marathon makes you come across like a prick.  i'm sure that's not be your intention.
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #220 on: March 19, 2013, 10:15:50 am »

I don't typically travel for 5K/10Ks.  I like running the BWC 5K every year because it's an inspiring 5K and I coach beginning runners for it.  Most of the women are running their first ever race and it's a very supportive one! (and for a great cause).  

I don't have to travel for Clyde's b/c it's basically next door to my house.

I like running 1/2 marathons.  I think it's the perfect race distance.  My IT band can't take training for marathons year-round at this time so I only run those in the fall.

Every race is different and every runner is different.  I just like running in different places!  The Shamrock was a great time and they have a marathon for those marathon snobs :)

Relaxer

« Reply #221 on: March 19, 2013, 10:15:59 am »
Well that is because he is a dick.
Plus, you gotta love a statement that says "I run 13 miles EVERY Saturday (well, actually, no I don't, but I used to once!!!!! But not anymore. And yet I did do it! A couple times back in the 90s.
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #222 on: March 19, 2013, 10:18:05 am »
Plus, you gotta love a statement that says "I run 13 miles EVERY Saturday (well, actually, no I don't, but I used to once!!!!! But not anymore. And yet I did do it! A couple times back in the 90s.

:D

James Ford

« Reply #223 on: March 19, 2013, 12:44:49 pm »
I still don't see the point.

For me, running is best when it's solitary experience. I want to be in touch with my natural environment, not bumping elbows with strangers. To me, running is about being healthy and fit, not about beating other people or beating personal bests.

Convince me otherwise of the appeal, instead of reacting defensively and calling names.

we're not all you.

you're an accomplished long distance runner, WE GET IT.  for some people, 10K is a big deal.  i'm fairly confident in saying that the average american can't run 5 miles in under 50 minutes so participating in a 10K makes you above-average.

running any distance on your own - whether it's 5K or 26.2 miles - isn't the same as doing it in a timed race.  you don't push yourself in the same way, you don't have the encouragement, you don't have the resources (water, cleared roads, etc).  i've never run as hard on sunday morning as i have at a race.

your constant berating of any distance other than a full marathon makes you come across like a prick.  i'm sure that's not be your intention.

James Ford

« Reply #224 on: March 19, 2013, 12:49:02 pm »
Actually, it was 2011-2012, but whatever. My wife didn't like me being away for so long, so I cut back.