Author Topic: Marathon Tips?  (Read 185353 times)

K8teebug

Re: Marathon Tips?
« Reply #240 on: June 10, 2013, 08:19:11 am »
doing Tough Mudder this Saturday. anyone ever done this?

I haven't, but have alot of friends who have.  they had a great time, but it takes a long time because some of the obstacles have long lines.

I'm not into the mud races myself.  Just give me a road!

James Ford

« Reply #241 on: September 16, 2013, 12:51:01 pm »
September 15, 2012: I'm nearing the end of a Saturday afternoon mountain bike ride, going down a hill. Wearing eyeglasses instead of my usual contacts and sunglasses. I hit a tree root, loose control of the bike, flip over the handlebars, land on my head (thank god for helmets), break my eyeglasses, and break a rib. My quest to run my 17th marathon is over for 2012.

September 15, 2013: I set off on a 23 mile training run (20 on unpaved trail), unaware that it's the one year anniversary of my accident. For some reason I decide to run in my eyeglasses instead of contacts/sunglasses. I'm on my eighth mile and I trip over a tree root. I flip, bloodying my knee and leaving scrapes on my back and hands. No broken glasses, no broken rib. I continue and complete my run. As I'm running, the date dawns on me, and it also downs on me that both falls were probably caused by burst of sunlight peering out from the shaded trail, hitting my unprotected eyes and blinding me for a split second, enough the make trip and fall.

That's my story. Anybody else training for Fall Marathon? Baltimore is only 26 days away for me.

K8teebug

« Reply #242 on: September 16, 2013, 01:04:18 pm »
Ouch!  At least you are alright.

I am running the 3rd and 4th legs of the Baltimore Marathon for the relay (running the 3rd one to count and then running the rest as a training run for MCM).  I ran Baltimore last year and loved it.  I think their course run is Saturday.  It's free and sponsored by Falls Road Running.  That run is always really fun if you haven't participated.

Running Marine Corps Marathon on October 27th!  First time running it for me and my third marathon. Been following the Hansons Marathon Method and it's been time consuming, but I really love it.

Then in January I'm running Jackson, MS 1/2 marathon on Saturday and the Mobile, AL full on Sunday as my own "goofy" race without the insane price of Disney (and even better because dinner Sunday night will be in New Orleans).

brennser

« Reply #243 on: September 16, 2013, 02:00:22 pm »
September 15, 2012: I'm nearing the end of a Saturday afternoon mountain bike ride, going down a hill.

As I'm running, the date dawns on me, and it also downs on me that both falls were probably caused by burst of sunlight peering out from the shaded trail, hitting my unprotected eyes and blinding me for a split second, enough the make trip and fall.

That's my story. Anybody else training for Fall Marathon? Baltimore is only 26 days away for me.

I was MTBing this weekend and the glare was ridiculous at times. Definitely riding blind. I have dodgy knees so no running for me but I just did the Civil War Century and will be doing the Seagull (road) and MoCo Epic (MTB) in October

ggw

« Reply #244 on: September 16, 2013, 02:03:41 pm »
I hate you people.  Over the past two years I have had torn meniscus surgery, Achilles tendonitis, bursitis, chronic patellar syndrome, etc...   I miss running so much.  Riding a bike isn't the same. 

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #245 on: September 16, 2013, 02:29:44 pm »
I'm running Marine Corps in October, Rehoboth in December and Rock-n-Roll DC (full) in March.

K8teebug

« Reply #246 on: September 16, 2013, 02:29:53 pm »
Sorry ggw.  Plus, you're fast...

K8teebug

« Reply #247 on: September 16, 2013, 02:32:13 pm »
I'm never running another Rock and Roll or CGI event ever again.  They pulled all the funding for elites (of which I am not one, but still think that's crappy).  And their medals are no longer city specific.  My friends who ran Philly said there was hardly any music this year.  And it makes me sad that they seem bent on taking over all these nice local races and sort of becoming the WalMart of racing.

Crappy too because I really enjoyed DC and Philly when I ran them. 

I realize by this rationale I should also not run Baltimore this year as they pulled the prize money when they were defunded by Under Armour, but I love that race.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #248 on: September 16, 2013, 02:41:12 pm »
I agree that the RNR DC kinda sucks.  I've done the 1/2 twice now, and wanted to do a Full in the spring.  Seemed convenient at the time, but I may never do it again.

K8teebug

« Reply #249 on: September 16, 2013, 02:51:31 pm »
I think I'm going to run the Hatfield McCoy Marathon in June.  Seems like fun!

vansmack

« Reply #250 on: September 16, 2013, 02:53:14 pm »
I'm never running another Rock and Roll or CGI event ever again. 

I ran my last RnR in Vegas 2011.  I won't even tell you the more disgusting horror stories from a first hand account, but this is a good start:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/dec/08/marathon/
27>34

K8teebug

« Reply #251 on: September 16, 2013, 02:59:09 pm »
I heard about that race from a friend.  Sounded awful.  I can't believe they're still allowed to hold it!

K8teebug

« Reply #252 on: September 16, 2013, 03:00:22 pm »
Also, the Shamrock Marathon in VA beach had water from hydrants/hoses in lined trash cans.  I got to the start in the morning and accidentally threw my gel top in the "water" which I thought was the trash...not running that one again!

K8teebug

« Reply #253 on: October 08, 2013, 09:20:03 am »
Baltimore is Saturday!  Should be great weather!

James Ford

« Reply #254 on: October 09, 2013, 04:01:52 pm »
If you call 50% showers great weather.

Baltimore is Saturday!  Should be great weather!