Author Topic: Marathon Tips?  (Read 185016 times)

James Ford

Re: Marathon Tips?
« Reply #300 on: March 17, 2014, 07:30:29 pm »

I've puked several times at the end of marathons. I wonder why it's always after finishing and not during?

I f'd up my back a couple of months ago sledding. The 7-9 mile easy runs I was doing two months ago have now become slow, painful slogs. Might be time to see a doctor.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 01:03:56 pm by James Ford »

K8teebug

« Reply #301 on: March 18, 2014, 07:11:58 pm »
Ummmm, yeah.  You could just need a good PT and sports massage therapist.

shemptiness

« Reply #302 on: March 28, 2014, 11:29:14 am »
'A small body of research suggests that heart problems may arise not in spite of extreme-endurance exercise but because of it. That has led some cardiologists to theorize that, beyond a certain point, exercise stops preventing and starts causing heart disease.

...found that 50 men who had run at least one marathon a year for 25 years had higher levels of coronary-artery plaque than a control group of sedentary men. A British Medical Journal study published this year compared the carotid arteries of 42 Boston Marathon qualifiers with their much-less active spouses. "We hypothesized that the runners would have a more favourable atherosclerotic risk profile," says the article. As it turned out, that hypothesis was wrong.'

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303949704579461381883678174?mod=e2fb

vansmack

« Reply #303 on: March 28, 2014, 11:49:34 am »
...found that 50 men who had run at least one marathon a year for 25 years had higher levels of coronary-artery plaque than a control group of sedentary men. A British Medical Journal study published this year compared the carotid arteries of 42 Boston Marathon qualifiers with their much-less active spouses. "We hypothesized that the runners would have a more favourable atherosclerotic risk profile," says the article. As it turned out, that hypothesis was wrong.'

Wait a minute.

They compared men who run marathons with their wives, and determined that men have worse arteries?  It makes absolutely no sense to compare men and women.

Maybe a better control would have been active brothers to their less active brother?

27>34

Relaxer

« Reply #304 on: March 28, 2014, 11:57:23 am »
No need to bring race into this.
oword

James Ford

« Reply #305 on: March 28, 2014, 11:58:11 am »
Men are much more likely to have diet similar to their wives than less active brothers (?)

Then again men will have genetics more closely aligned with their less active brother than with their wife.

Wait a minute.

They compared men who run marathons with their wives, and determined that men have worse arteries?  It makes absolutely no sense to compare men and women.

Maybe a better control would have been active brothers to their less active brother?

vansmack

« Reply #306 on: March 28, 2014, 12:13:33 pm »
Then again men will have genetics more closely aligned with their less active brother than with their wife.

I was going for that and the fact that mens and womens hearts are not identical.
27>34

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #307 on: March 28, 2014, 12:25:03 pm »
'A small body of research suggests that heart problems may arise not in spite of extreme-endurance exercise but because of it. That has led some cardiologists to theorize that, beyond a certain point, exercise stops preventing and starts causing heart disease.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303949704579461381883678174?mod=e2fb

NPR published an article the very next day citing a study that evaluated men's cardiovascular risk, both before and after training for a marathon.  Conclusion:  Running is good for you

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/03/27/295252726/marathon-training-lowers-heart-disease-risk-in-middle-aged-men

James Ford

« Reply #308 on: March 28, 2014, 01:04:19 pm »
Xray results are in. Small compression fracture of spine. I guess that explains why it's painful for me to run.

I've puked several times at the end of marathons. I wonder why it's always after finishing and not during?

I f'd up my back a couple of months ago sledding. The 7-9 mile easy runs I was doing two months ago have now become slow, painful slogs. Might be time to see a doctor.

K8teebug

« Reply #309 on: March 28, 2014, 02:06:40 pm »
Ouch!  What's the prognosis?  Hope you feel better soon.

nkotb

« Reply #310 on: April 23, 2014, 12:57:18 pm »
Hey gang, sorry for the spam/sob story, but it looks like I'll be running the Chicago Marathon this year with Team Fox, the Michael J. Fox Foundation?s (MJFF) grassroots community fundraising program, which generates funds and awareness for Parkinson?s disease research.

Pretty stoked, not just to run another race (it's been a few years), but also since my father-in-law had Parkinson's, so it's an insane honor to have the chance to make a small difference here, especially in light of everything my wife's family has done for me over the years.

If you're so inclined, please feel free to donate to a good cause; you can find my donation page here: http://www2.michaeljfox.org/goto/aobehr.  I'm trying to raise $2,000 and thanks mostly to family & friends, have already hit the 50% mark in a day, so your contributions would be most appreciated as well.

And if not, thanks to this board for actually giving me the support to run my first marathon way back in 2007 (man, I forgot this thread was actually mine originally).  All of those tips were a big help both other marathon's I've run.

Thanks!
Andy

K8teebug

« Reply #311 on: April 23, 2014, 03:57:29 pm »
I will support!  Everyone has been really cool about supporting me on this board!

vansmack

« Reply #312 on: April 23, 2014, 05:05:46 pm »
Of course.
27>34

nkotb

« Reply #313 on: April 23, 2014, 07:07:43 pm »
You guys are seriously the best.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #314 on: October 23, 2014, 04:54:43 pm »
Gearing up for Marine Corps Marathon this weekend - who's in?