Author Topic: ATTN: 0930 Bboard to close for election day  (Read 19773 times)

Random Citizen

Re: ATTN: 0930 Bboard to close for election day
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2004, 07:36:00 am »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  Unfortunately, what we seem to be learning is that a majority of our countrymen really are poorly-educated, half-witted, simpering morons.  There's really no other explanation.
Seriously. How else can you explain people like Bunting winning in Kentucky, or Barry being re-elected to public office in DC? No Child Left Behind, pfft, it's more like No Citizen Left Behind.

Random Citizen

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2004, 09:15:00 am »
There are a shitload of police cars hanging around Dupont Circle this morning.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2004, 09:17:00 am »
Well it appears the only thing that went in my favor yesterday was how very funny "Shaun of the Dead" was... Hell I even thing Flawd would like this one, although the humour is bit British.  The scene with the records was HILARIOUS, with a cool reference to The Stone Roses "Second Coming".  See it soon it wont be around long seeing as it was me and one other person in the theater.  Kosmette was GOTVing in PA.  One really gnarly Zombie bit near the end.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2004, 09:20:00 am »
and I voted for two local Green Party Candidates  :D
T.Rex

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2004, 09:40:00 am »
I'll never vote for a Green... they (and Nader) are to blame for Bush getting elected the first time around.
_\|/_

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2004, 09:44:00 am »
twas for the senator and house of rep... both heavily favored democratic seats.
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2004, 09:44:00 am »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  I'll never vote for a Green... they (and Nader) are to blame for Bush getting elected the first time around.
I can see the logic in wanting to vote for small parties.  Until people have the balls to do it...they'll never have the funding to compete.

if one of those parties can get some Senators or Reps, perhaps they can get the noteriety to get some real votes one year.

grotty

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2004, 09:53:00 am »
I feel sick today. And angry. And confused.
 It's very strange. It's only an election - it has never bothered me before.

I'm not usually myopic. I understand that everyone has an opinion and point of view. But, I just can't believe that there are so many people that feel so differently.

It's too late for rhetoric, but I can't fathom the thinking that would allow a person to cast a vote for this president while overlooking that:

He's not smart - see the debates/speeches/failed businesses

He's not trust worthy - he lied us into war

He's not protective of American lives - he's now responsilbe for more American deaths than Bin Laden

There are no Presidential issues more important than these three. Yet, obviously there are many people who felt a vote for lower taxes was more important, or a vote against gay marriages, etc.

It's apparent that there are 2 deeply divided types of people in the U.S.

At the risk of being offensive (fuck it - I already said I was angry) - I think you can describe the 2 groups broadly as
 * people who think more largely
 * people who act more selfishly

I wonder how all these Bush supporters would be voting if it was their child coming home from Iraq in a box?   :mad:   But, of course - it's not their kids. It's someone else's problem. At least they don't have to worry about those pesky gays.

ratioci nation

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2004, 10:04:00 am »
Originally posted by grotty:
  I wonder how all these Bush supporters would be voting if it was their child coming home from Iraq in a box?   :mad:   But, of course - it's not their kids. It's someone else's problem. At least they don't have to worry about those pesky gays.
Actually last night they were saying that more soldiers come from Bush country than Kerry country.  Which just makes it worse, its their kids he is killing.

I don't think we have to look at this for the candidates personal attributes or what they did or didnt do.  There is reason enough to vote against Bush on policy issues.  

The fact is, Bush clearly ran a better ground campaign.  High turnout is never supposed to be good for Republicans, yet it appears yesterday it was.  According to several reports, young people did not vote, Bush got his base out.  The thing that dissapoints me most is that half his base is voting on this idea of "moral values".  I still don't know what the fuck that means, I guess I don't have them.

I wonder how much work Bush has left to do to make the world ready for Jesus' return.

Random Citizen

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2004, 10:13:00 am »
Originally posted by pollard:
  According to several reports, young people did not vote, Bush got his base out.  
Young voters did turn out, but not enough to offset the Republican base. The percentage was about the same as young people who voted in the 2000 election.

While it's good that so many people voted, it's amazing that the real issues--Iraq, the economy, jobs, healthcare--took a backseat to so-called "moral issues."

The combination of this with a Republican-majority House and Senate seriously frightens me.

grotty

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2004, 10:14:00 am »

unfortunately for the Dems, they don't really have an identity for people to rally behind, just a label (liberals) for morons to rally against
I agree, but I think it's bigger than that.

The constitution dictates a Separation of Church & State. Yet, this President and his party are clearly aligned with the Christian Right. And they remind us every turn.

It wouldn't matter what the Democratic identity was - how do you compete with a group of people who believe in and are pushing Santa Claus?

skonster

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2004, 10:16:00 am »
If you're interested about reading about 'moral values' I recommend "What's the Matter with Kansas?" by Thomas Frank (the founding editor of the Baffler, for what that's worth).  Over-simplifying, it basically argues that Republicans have successfully gotten people to ignore economic issues and focus on moral issues, like abortion, or same sex marriage, or teaching evolution in schools, etc.

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2004, 10:17:00 am »
Well yes, if you're a rich person on the Left.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

I think it was that eminent political philosopher Markie who once observed that the greatest time for the Left is when the Right is in power, because the Left can then be enraged at how horrible things are under the Right and they can incessantly claim that things would be glorious if the Left were in power.  Then the Left actually comes into power and proves them wrong.

grotty

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2004, 10:23:00 am »
Originally posted by skonster:
  If you're interested about reading about 'moral values' I recommend "What's the Matter with Kansas?" by Thomas Frank (the founding editor of the Baffler, for what that's worth).  Over-simplifying, it basically argues that Republicans have successfully gotten people to ignore economic issues and focus on moral issues, like abortion, or same sex marriage, or teaching evolution in schools, etc.
The ultimate in Bush's hypocrisy:

Save the fetus! Kill the teenage soldier.

"ignore economic issues and focus on moral issues, like abortion, or same sex marriage, or teaching evolution in schools,"

Each of these 'issues' are deeply rooted in RELIGION.

The more I think about this, the more I realize how much religion has played a role:

If you are a believer, you'll more blindly follow a believer - God is on our side!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2004, 10:25:00 am »

I wonder how much work Bush has left to do to make the world ready for Jesus' return.
Well according to the Kennedy, that was on Bill Maher's recently, he's well on the way.  Destroying the enviroment and using all any and resources is part of the "Moral" rights dogma. i.e. The Rapture coming soon so why bother worrying about tomorrow and party like it's 1999
T.Rex