Author Topic: best show you have ever seen irrespective of venue?  (Read 13771 times)

brennser

Re: best show you have ever seen irrespective of venue?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2003, 01:08:00 pm »
I was at that The the show..... Was it really better than the 930 show?

Isnt Lloyd Cole sad and pathetic now? I used to love him....  
9.30 show was probably better overall but still, to see him in a tiny venue like that was memorable

I still like Lloyd - I have all his solo stuff and The Negatives album - good lyrics and he writes great pop songs....apparently there is some move afoot to have a reunion tour with the Commotions next year

broadkat

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2003, 01:09:00 pm »
1.  Sleater-Kinney: 930 one beat tour)  

2.  Sebadoh: Dallas (harmacy tour)

3.  Ida/ Pedro the lion: Denton, TX  (its hard to find a friend tour)

4.  Elliot Smith: Dallas  (figure 8 tour)

5.  The Queers/ the Groovie Ghoulies: Denton, TX (i don't know, i was like 15)

markie

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2003, 01:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:

I was at that The the show..... Was it really better than the 930 show?

I still like Lloyd - I have all his solo stuff and The Negatives album - good lyrics and he writes great pop songs....apparently there is some move afoot to have a reunion tour with the Commotions next year [/b]
I gave him up when he had his kid and did the morning has broken stuff.......

I did see hin at the Edinburgh playhouse on the dont get weird on me babe tour..... He did 2 songs off of rattlesnakes. Which is still one of my favourite albums.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2003, 01:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by bunnyman:
  most memorable shows to me:

Red House Painter @ Birchmere, October 1993

oh, i forgot. . .

tarnation/red house painters 1999(2000?) great american music hall in san francisco.. .

they really played at the birchmere?  saw them when they came through last time at the black cat, i think the crowd plays way too much in their sets, which is why that show was disappointing, but the san francisco show was excellent.
OU812

sonickteam2

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2003, 01:15:00 pm »
Chemical Brothers @ Electric Factory 1996
   U2 - RFK Stadium 1992
   Coachella 2003 (does that count, it was many bands!)

brennser

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2003, 01:15:00 pm »
I gave him up when he had his kid and did the morning has broken stuff.......

the early solo cds are the weakest - I actually forgot about him for about 6 years and rediscovered him when Love Story was released

I'll burn you a CD of his more recent stuff - I think you'll like it

markie

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2003, 01:18:00 pm »
thanks.....

but you probably dont need to. I am sure I have seen them in game exchange on the cheap..... Which do you recommend?

brennser

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2003, 01:39:00 pm »
Which do you recommend?  
Start with The Negatives, then Love Story

markie

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2003, 01:42:00 pm »
Ok, thanks.......

Another great show was beck on the odelay tour in Glasgow. I drove 6 hours to get there and passed out near the end. It looked and sounded fantastic.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2003, 03:32:00 pm »
Next month I'm taking my daughter to see  The Wiggles at MCI Center.  This is sure to be near the top of my list of all time greats.

mankie

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2003, 03:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by chaz:
  Next month I'm taking my daughter to see  The Wiggles at MCI Center.  This is sure to be near the top of my list of all time greats.
Oh, my heart goes out to you...luckily my daughter is way too old for them and my son way too young. Dodged that bullet.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2003, 04:00:00 pm »
-sonic youth thousand leaves tour free show at penn state.   ben fold five show at the same free show the next year would be an honorable mention
 -sleater-kinney in 2002 at the 930
 -guided by voices do the collapse tour at the beehive in pittsburgh
 -trail of dead club laga pittsburgh like right after source tags and codes came out

honorable mention goes to the lemonheads at washington and jefferson college in 1997, for getting to party with evan dando and murphy the ex-dinosaur jr drummer.  what a bunch of wackos
o/\o

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2003, 04:18:00 pm »
Hey Sir HC, nice to meet another 9353 fan!  I missed that show, although I actually remebmer hearing from others that they sucked.  One thing I remember about 9353 is that when they played smallish venues like the 930 or dc space, they were usually awesome, but they often seemed to fall flat on their face at bigger shows.

Best show I've ever, ever seen was Jesus and Mary Chain, Curve, Dinosaur Jr., My Bloody Valentine, and Blur, together in Brighton, UK circa 1991 or 1992.  The music was intense, and the Brits, about 2,000 frenzied teenagers, got into the music in a way that I've never seen DCers do.

Best show I've seen here in DC was probably the "Punk-Funk Spectacular," Minor Threat and Trouble Funk, sometime around 1982.  At the Lansburgh Center, then an abandoned department store, now a luxury apartment building.

isn't it time you visited Doomlink?
_\|/_

broadkat

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2003, 05:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:

honorable mention goes to the lemonheads at washington and jefferson college in 1997, for getting to party with evan dando and murphy the ex-dinosaur jr drummer.  what a bunch of wackos
Hey, thanks for reminding me

i should have put up there when i saw Evan Dando play in Dallas in Spring 2002.  It was just him and some guy from Massive Attack and he played, like, every song thats good:

rockin stroll
 hannah n gabi
 frying pan
 dawn can't decide

i don't think i've ever been so awestruck.  i went and got an autograph just so i could say thanks for playing frying pan.  funny thing was it was a first date and i just kept drooling and yelling like a little girl and going "gawd he's hawt."  when i dumped the guy later he said i'd been "the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete."
   :p

Sir HC

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2003, 05:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  Hey Sir HC, nice to meet another 9353 fan!  I missed that show, although I actually remebmer hearing from others that they sucked.  One thing I remember about 9353 is that when they played smallish venues like the 930 or dc space, they were usually awesome, but they often seemed to fall flat on their face at bigger shows.
 isn't it time you visited Doomlink?
I had read that they were very mixed, never saw them at Space or 930 in their heyday, did see them for their reunion at Taste of DC back when Pratt-Kelly was mayor (she was at the gig).  They did a lot of their classics that night, had fun, and sounded good and tight to me and my friend.  Taped the show, but they were loud so it is all distorted beyond use.