Author Topic: best show you have ever seen irrespective of venue?  (Read 13770 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: best show you have ever seen irrespective of venue?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2003, 05:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Originally posted by chaz:
  Next month I'm taking my daughter to see  The Wiggles at MCI Center.  This is sure to be near the top of my list of all time greats.
Oh, my heart goes out to you...luckily my daughter is way too old for them and my son way too young. Dodged that bullet. [/b]
Actually I'm pretty excited to take her....she's gonna totally flip out.  I got great seats.  like 10th row on the floor center stage.  She just loves them wiggles.

Fruit Salad
 Yummy Yummy
 Fruit Salad
 Yummy Yummy

ggw

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2003, 06:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
 I had read that they were very mixed, never saw them at Space or 930 in their heyday, did see them for their reunion at Taste of DC back when Pratt-Kelly was mayor (she was at the gig).  They did a lot of their classics that night, had fun, and sounded good and tight to me and my friend.  Taped the show, but they were loud so it is all distorted beyond use.
I saw them twice back in the day.

Then, about ten years ago I ran into Vance as I was coming out of the Foggy Bottom Metro.  He was bumming for change.  He said something along the lines of:  "Yeah, I used to be in this band, 9353, we played around here a lot.  Maybe you heard of us?  I've been clean for a couple weeks and I'm trying to get something to eat.  Can you help me out?"

It was pretty sad.

I've since heard different things about whether he is clean or not now.  Hope he is.

mankie

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2003, 06:02:00 pm »

Originally posted by mankie:

Next month I'm taking my daughter to see  The Wiggles at MCI Center.  This is sure to be near the top of my list of all time greats.
Oh, my heart goes out to you...luckily my daughter is way too old for them and my son way too young. Dodged that bullet. [/b]
Actually I'm pretty excited to take her....she's gonna totally flip out.  I got great seats.  like 10th row on the floor center stage.  She just loves them wiggles.

[/b]
I understand completely...I took my daughter to see Hanson a few years ago. The look on her face when they walked on stage was worth sitting through mmmmmmm bop a million times if I had to.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2003, 06:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  Hey Sir HC, nice to meet another 9353 fan!  I missed that show, although I actually remebmer hearing from others that they sucked.  One thing I remember about 9353 is that when they played smallish venues like the 930 or dc space, they were usually awesome, but they often seemed to fall flat on their face at bigger shows.

Add me to the list of 9353 fans.  One of my favorites, back in the day.  Remember those great fliers they would cover the city with?

It's OK.
 It's not loaded.
 I'm a good driver.
 Don't worry, honey.

Sir HC

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2003, 06:24:00 pm »
Have both their records, have the CDs, the last CD was a downer, all instrumental and with only Bruce left in the band.  Had heard that Vance was still clean, hope so.  Their flyers (many which were on the stairs at DC space) were great.  And such a short simple name made them stand out.  Try writing "Super furry creatures" or "The Soundtrack of Our Lives" on a poster so that everyone driving by can read it.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2003, 06:29:00 pm »
I don't think I have the all-instrumental CD, but I did see that incarnation at DCAC once.  

My favorite incarnation of 9353 will always be Merkle/Carmer/Bockis/Joseph, i.e. the original, or close to it.  Apparently like many a great band they hated each other, and that tension only ramped up the psychopathic dynamic that much more.

I remember one time at DC Space Bruce Merkle puked over the edge of the stage, and the front row of the audience jumped back in horror....
_\|/_

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2003, 07:37:00 pm »
smithereens @ the bayou  it was the 10th anniversary of "especially for you" and they played it in it's entire starting with track one.
T.Rex

twangirl

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2003, 08:15:00 pm »
Bad Brains at the 9:30, I Against I tour, 1986. Never seen anything like it before or since. Probably never will.

lily1

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2003, 11:17:00 pm »
rolling stones with living color, foxboro stadium, 1989

first concert of career. was young and had to beg beg beg for my father to let me go.

tracy chapman, 250 seat theatre in milan italy. complete with mad italian boys screaming, in horribly accented english "we love you tracy."  :D

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2003, 02:47:00 am »
Primal Scream all nighter on Valentines Day '98 at Brixton Academy.  Alabama 3 opened up with dj sets by Spring Heel Jack and Asian Dub Foundation with suprise guest Spiritualized who didn't go on till 2:30 in the morning.

Air at the Karman Club in Boston in Oct. '98.  I thought I was floating.  There was a fashion show afterwards.

Spiritualized, Nov. 2001 at the Fox Theater in Boulder, CO

Glastonbury '99:  five glorious days strolling through the fields of Avalon

ruthann

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2003, 06:21:00 pm »
First time caller, here.

Mission of Burma, Carnegie Mellon Univ, Pittsburgh 5/82

X, Pirates Cove, Cleveland, 5/82

Negativland, Manchester Craftsman's Guild, Pittsburgh, '92 or '93

The Ex w/ Tom Cora, Rodef Shalom, Pittsburgh, '94

Guided by Voices, Black Cat, 6/95

Guided by Voices, Southgate House, Newport KY, 3/00

Guided by Voices, Beachland Ballroom, Cleveland, 4/02

Salem 66, Decade, Pittsburgh, '89 (?)

Jesus Lizard, Upstage, Pittsburgh, '89 or '90 (?)

Circle Jerks, Decade, Pittsburgh, sometime in the 80's

That's it for now.

mankie

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2003, 07:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by Lazer Guided Melodies:
  Primal Scream all nighter on Valentines Day '98 at Brixton Academy.  Alabama 3 opened up with dj sets by Spring Heel Jack and Asian Dub Foundation with suprise guest Spiritualized who didn't go on till 2:30 in the morning.

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUU HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH
 Oh, please, someone slap me!

He said Primal Scream were good..hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah oh hahahahahahah.

Sorry, but they really are the absolute worst fucking pile of shit that I've ever heard my long, long life

Jaguär

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2003, 07:32:00 pm »
I like Primal Scream.

But I've heard they can put on some crap shows.

Relaxer

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2003, 07:39:00 pm »
Allman Brothers, Portland Oregon, fall of 1991 -- they were two hours late to the venue, refunds were offered, band finally came on, apologized and said they were going to play everything for us. Which, damn sam, they did, for almost four hours.

Little Women, Portland Satrycon, 1992, Drug-edgey jam band usually played the regular 'alternative music' club, but on the night before I left for D.C., they played the hardcore punk club and kicked it out of the park.

The Verve, 9:30 Club, November 1997, loudest show I can remember, band was on fire with the noise, and I spontaneously made out with the girl standing next to me during the 'Come On' freakout.

Guided By Voices, 9:30 Club, last year (August?), my first time seeing them and it was so great that I couldn't stop laughing the whole time.

Grateful Dead, RFK Stadium, 06/25/95, the last D.C. show, and after 61 previous shows through the years, the best I (and my partner of 40+ shows) had seen. Then Jerry died, which was probably for the best.

Honorables:
 that last Black Rebel Motorcycle Club show was seriously great.

I thought the Immortal Lee Country Killers II, opening up for the Driveby Truckers a few months ago, were just about perfect.

Monster Magnet at the old 9:30 Club was insane.

The Verve at the old 9:30 Club in 1995 was incredible, mostly due to the ridiculous amount of tension between the singer and guitarist. Great bootleg too.

Soundgarden, Monster Magnet and Swervedriver in Seattle in 1991

Pavement at the old Black Cat in 1994 has always stuck in my head, as has the Afghan Whig show there a couple months later.

Worst Ever Show:
 The Dude of Life at the old 9:30
oword

pepsi..taste it

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2003, 07:50:00 pm »
deerhoof

at the warehouse

amazing