Author Topic: James Blunt  (Read 7538 times)

BookerT

Re: James Blunt
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2006, 05:38:00 pm »
Hilton Hotel's ad execs. believe so too since they purchased rights to several of his songs and are running them with their newest ad campaign targeting couples/weekend/honeymoon demographics right now.
who were the ad wizards who came up with this one?

Bartelby

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2006, 08:58:00 pm »
My prob. Chaz?  I guess you think I have a "problem" because I won't  join in with you slamming just about every group booked at the 930 Club.

Anyone who posts here is entitled to an opinion without your freekin' negative, intolerant and narrow-minded shit all the time.

Slamming a guy because he sells music for ads/tv shows/commercial applications? What rock have you been living under? Jealous much?

Finally, Kosmo, I'm sorry I've yet to appease you with any of my postings.

I thought you were supposed to be a "moderator"...moderating what?  Condescending and rude retorts?

Obviously, I won't be seein' any of you out at shows in the next few days.  Flame away, bitches.

ZackVLion1

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2006, 09:09:00 pm »
That james blunt record is one of the best ive heard in a long long time.
 "tears and rain" and "Billy" are amazing.

But yeah, i think he's best compared to damien rice, david gray, not to jason mraz.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2006, 12:03:00 am »
Originally posted by BadSushi:
  My prob. Chaz?  I guess you think I have a "problem" because I won't  join in with you slamming just about every group booked at the 930 Club.

Anyone who posts here is entitled to an opinion without your freekin' negative, intolerant and narrow-minded shit all the time.

Slamming a guy because he sells music for ads/tv shows/commercial applications? What rock have you been living under? Jealous much?

Finally, Kosmo, I'm sorry I've yet to appease you with any of my postings.

I thought you were supposed to be a "moderator"...moderating what?  Condescending and rude retorts?

Obviously, I won't be seein' any of you out at shows in the next few days.  Flame away, bitches.
Aren't you tired of playing this victim role?  I'd say of late your posts contain much more outright hostility and venom than those you constantly rail against.  If most of us here are such shit-bags then why not just buzz off?  I know I know......you have just as much right to be here as anyone and shame shame shame on those useless mods for not swooping in to protect you when people are being mean to you.

I say stick around and post often.....you're brand of crazy is good for a laugh when I need one.

And for the record I never said a word about this blunt guy and hardly ever say anything bad about any bands that get tossed around up here.  But I did see him on SNL and found his whisper-singing singer-songwriter schtick to be quite dull and unimpressive.  Oh dear, so much for my pollyanna persona...

Bags

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2006, 01:41:00 am »
Best way to settle this is to send y'all to a site where you can listen to two tracks, including the big hit, "You're Beautiful."  I'm in the camp of "his voice makes me wanna wretch," but I just got back from The Hold Steady and LOVED it, and that guy's voice is one you love or hate.  It's what makes the world go 'round.

Check out Blunt (dumb way to change his name)  here

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2006, 09:36:00 am »
I wont apologize for posting on this forum first as a long time member and secondly as a moderator.  It should be fairly obvious when I'm posting in the moderator roll, as it hasen't happened very often. I could certainly fully adopt an alter ego to make all the snarky comments I choose.

When you open up your comments for debate, it's a bit pointless to then get uppity when I (and my new alter ego BookerT   :)   ), point out that we thing it's lame to justify his existence by the fact some ad agency picked up some of his songs for use in an ad campaign.  That comment should have not been considered me acting as a moderator in anyway.

The primary role of forum moderator has always been to move any topic that is looking for tickets to the ticket x-change forum.  Prior to the addition of that forum, the main forum used to be littered with ticket request topics and now such requests that do land here can be moved. I also if it's caught in time move any topics that can be answered better in FAQ forum.  Shadrach and thatguy were added as moderators in order that club's point of view be represented.  I'm sure any number of people would put black x's on my hands and send me outside if they thought I was out of line as a moderator.
T.Rex

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2006, 10:04:00 am »
I hate about 90% of all music, including bands that play the 9:30 Club. And I'll continue to slam crappy music that I hate.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2006, 10:24:00 am »
good point... something i meant to mention in my little rant.  I'm probably only interested in 25% of the shows at the 9:30 club in any given year, because I'm either not interested, don't care, etc.  Seeing as I already have more music then I'll ever need, I don't feel obligated to checkout every new artist that comes down the pike, nor be an expert about.  There are a number of bands I'm passionate about and many I just wish would go away.

If someone wants to pay a bundle for me to sit around and listen to every Tom, Sufjan and James, in order to expertly discuss them here make your best offer.  Otherwise, I'll call like as I see 'em.  i.e. Linda Perry James's producer is often called the Song Writing hack to the stars.
T.Rex

Che

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2006, 11:07:00 am »
I think it may have just sold out, I just tried to buy tickets and they were unavailable 4 minutes after they went on sale.  Either it soldout or my computer doesnt like me.

crevers

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2006, 11:10:00 am »
Got 2 tickets.  I just wanna see Boy Least Likely To...anything decent out of this Blunt guy is just gravy.

raineybt

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2006, 11:12:00 am »
I never meant to imply by my comparison to John Mayer or Jason Mraz that I don't like the music that James Blunt makes.  I think it is a good album, I own it, and have listened to it a few times.  All I am saying is that this album is nothing new, just a reproduction of something other people have done and made work.  Very similar to many of the current pop rock albums.  All I was saying was that I didnt really care if I saw this show, as opposed to the Roots or Death Cab or Sufjan Stevens, who I would go out of my way to see.  I got my tickets this morning.  That part was kind of difficult.  Now I have to find a babe to go with me.  That will be damn near impossible.

heisindc

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2006, 11:30:00 am »
yeah, my computer doesnt like me, not showing any tickets avail 3 mins after 10am.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2006, 12:30:00 pm »
I found the following Made-up Genres of the Month in a recent Entertainment Weekly highly amusing...

NMEasy Listening:  Mellow often wishy-washy British Pop, usually accompanied by plenty of UK press hype.  (See James Blunt's "Back to Bedlam", David Gray's "Life in Slow Motion", Robbie Williams "Intensive Care".)  
 Usage: "Nowadays, every romantic-comedy is required to have at least a half dozen NMEasy Listening songs."

Twee Rex: The combination of fey or high-pitched vocals, quite instrumentation, and a Marc Bolan-style boogie-woogie groove. (See: Belle & Sebastian's upcoming "The Life Pursuit", Architectures in Helsinki's "In Case We Die, the Rosebuds "Birds Make Good Neighbors.)
 Uasge: Have you heard that track on the new Belle & Sebstaine joint?  It's so twee rex, Stuart Murdoch even sounds like he's wearing glitter!"
T.Rex

eltee

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2006, 06:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mobius:
  Saw him on SNL. I'd say that he is to David Gray or Damian Rice what Coldplay was to Radiohead . . . i.e. dumbed down/watered down version.
A friend saw the show...asked me about him. No idea. Where'd he come from? Anyway, my friend said Blount/Blunt has a very strange stage prescence and his eyes were piercing into his soul.   :eek:

snailhook

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2006, 06:12:00 pm »
Obviously, I won't be seein' any of you out at shows in the next few days. Flame away, bitches.

the only thing that would make this statement better is replacing "days" with "years". flame away, bitches!