Author Topic: Rumor: Smashing Pumpkins at 9:30 Club July 10th  (Read 176977 times)

Darth Ed

Re: Rumor: Smashing Pumpkins at 9:30 Club July 10th
« Reply #1095 on: July 13, 2007, 02:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  There used to be an exclusive Pumpkins torrent site.

It might be www.the-zomb.com
There seem to be plenty of Pumpkins shows on  http://www.archive.org/  and you don't need an account to download them there. That said, if anyone is aware of a better collection of shows on private torrent sites, I'd be interested in learning more.

eros

« Reply #1096 on: July 13, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »
The problem I have isn't so much about this Econ 101 supply and demand business, but that Ticketmaster (and the venues/promoters to a lesser extent) turns a blind eye to it.  Hell, Ticketmaster encourages it by running auctions of their own.

I wouldn't go so far to say there is active collusion between ticket sellers and brokers, but IMO Ticketmaster isn't doing everything they can to make sure that the first 10 rows of decent shows don't end up on Ebay and Stubhub 3 days before they go on sale.

I'm just preparing myself for when I get shut out of decent Cure tickets tomorrow.
ʎɐʍou

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #1097 on: July 13, 2007, 02:11:00 pm »
  I am not advocating anything, just noting that ticket sales (for popular events) pretty much violate free market forces from the get-go.

Originally posted by RatBastard:
 So now all tickets should be put on sale with a bid system?  Have a ste period of time to offer your best price and he who has the gold rules?  yeah that will work.  It will only drive tikcet prices higher...  Actually TM has alredy started down that road.  For many shows they have the 'auctions'.  Look for all the primo seats to be that way before too long.  All 1st tier seating will be TM 'auctions' in the not too distant future.
[/b]
So if the auction system will increase ticket prices they must be priced below market value currently.......no?

Personally I have no problem with scalpers. They provide a great service as far as I'm concerned. If I can't be bothered to camp out or sit at a computer for hours on end I'll gladly pay a scalper for the ticket if I feel the show is worth it. Ticketmaster surcharges are the reason I only attend about 20% of the shows I used to, but it's no big deal really. I would've gone to see the Police but not at those prices. Morrissey I has happy to shell out the dough, it was worth it to me.

If you think tickets are too expensive then quit yer bitchin and don't go to the eff'n show for crying out loud.

ggw

« Reply #1098 on: July 13, 2007, 02:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by eros:
 IMO Ticketmaster isn't doing everything they can to make sure that the first 10 rows of decent shows don't end up on Ebay and Stubhub 3 days before they go on sale.

Why should they?

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1099 on: July 13, 2007, 02:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:

I am not advocating anything, just noting that ticket sales (for popular events) pretty much violate free market forces from the get-go.

So now all tickets should be put on sale with a bid system?  Have a ste period of time to offer your best price and he who has the gold rules?  yeah that will work.  It will only drive tikcet prices higher...  Actually TM has alredy started down that road.  For many shows they have the 'auctions'.  Look for all the primo seats to be that way before too long.  All 1st tier seating will be TM 'auctions' in the not too distant future.
[/b]
So if the auction system will increase ticket prices they must be priced below market value currently.......no?

Personally I have no problem with scalpers. They provide a great service as far as I'm concerned. If I can't be bothered to camp out or sit at a computer for hours on end I'll gladly pay a scalper for the ticket if I feel the show is worth it. Ticketmaster surcharges are the reason I only attend about 20% of the shows I used to, but it's no big deal really. I would've gone to see the Police but not at those prices. Morrissey I has happy to shell out the dough, it was worth it to me.

If you think tickets are too expensive then quit yer bitchin and don't go to the eff'n show for crying out loud. [/b]
It is not TMs job to set ticket prices (not sure if it actually is or not, IMHO it shouldnt be).  The price a ticket costs directly or indirectly should be set by the artist.  If for example SP wanted the fans to have to pay $50 a ticket then thats what they should sell for.  Albeit it that decision will most probably directly impact the amount they are paid for the performance.  What the tickets CPOULD go for is irrlevant.  TMs job is to act as an agent between the artist/promoter and the conert goers.  It is not their job to inflate the face price of a ticket once that price has been set.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1100 on: July 13, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »

IMO Ticketmaster isn't doing everything they can to make sure that the first 10 rows of decent shows don't end up on Ebay and Stubhub 3 days before they go on sale.

Why should they? [/b]
They shouldnt.  Its not TMs job to make sure no one else sells tickets over face, but its not their job to engage in inflating tikcet prices themselves either.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1101 on: July 13, 2007, 03:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

point taken, I see what you mean

So now all tickets should be put on sale with a bid system...and he who has the gold rules?
or you could try to go to less popular shows..you know, discover new bands that fewer people have heard of that charge $15 or $20...these are better anyway!

I know the SP show was priced relatively cheaply to begin with, but all the hype and big extravaganza-ness of it would be a turn off to me..pah! [/b]
Actually I do go to a LOT of low priced shows that don't come close to selling out.  You get to see some really good music that way.
FUKIT

eros

« Reply #1102 on: July 13, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

Why should they? [/b]
What I was trying to (not so clearly I guess) say is that there are some implications that TM is in cahoots with some of the brokers.  They give them a better shot at good tickets and then share the profit from the inflated sale price.  I am not saying this is really happening, only a theory I've heard.
ʎɐʍou

bearman🐻

« Reply #1103 on: July 13, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »
A very plausible theory.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1104 on: July 13, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:
 Personally I have no problem with scalpers.

(...)

Ticketmaster surcharges are the reason I only attend about 20% of the shows I used to, but it's no big deal really. I would've gone to see the Police but not at those prices. Morrissey I has happy to shell out the dough, it was worth it to me.
your second point is completely understandable, but it's not related to the first - let's not confuse issues here.  that the police or morrissey decide that their tickets are worth $100 - fine, they are the artists, and we'll make our decisions to go or not based on personal and financial values.  

but scalpers get in the way of this decision and take it away from you and i.  the pumpkins might have wanted to offer an affordable show to their fans, but the parasites move in and seize that value that the artists decided to give to the fans.  some artists are income maximizers (hello sting!), while others are aware of ticket costs and try to make thier shows affordable.
<sig>

ggw

« Reply #1105 on: July 13, 2007, 04:09:00 pm »
From a purely economic standpoint, scalpers simply arbitrage the difference between the level of natural demand (high) and the artificial price (low) of a commodity with limited supply.  That is a free market activity.  The whole concept of a "real fan" is a non-economic construct.  

If the Pumpkins (or anyone else) want to offer a product below market price to a select group, they need to do it in another manner (e.g., Pearl Jam's Ten Club).

The argument that scalpers artificially increase demand is bunk.  If the demand for tickets was not higher than the supply, they couldn't charge a premium.  

It works both ways too.  A couple of weeks ago I went to the Richard Thompson show.  A $35 ticket that I got for $20 from a scalper out front because supply was greater than demand. Three people wanted to sell me a ticket and I bought from the first one that would take $20.

Originally posted by sweetcell:
  your second point is completely understandable, but it's not related to the first - let's not confuse issues here.  that the police or morrissey decide that their tickets are worth $100 - fine, they are the artists, and we'll make our decisions to go or not based on personal and financial values.  

but scalpers get in the way of this decision and take it away from you and i.  the pumpkins might have wanted to offer an affordable show to their fans, but the parasites move in and seize that value that the artists decided to give to the fans.  some artists are income maximizers (hello sting!), while others are aware of ticket costs and try to make thier shows affordable.

Aphex

« Reply #1106 on: July 13, 2007, 04:09:00 pm »
Too lazy to go through each page since this comment was made...BUT...how does one avoid the will call procedures on Tuesday night?  Did I miss a giant loophole?

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1107 on: July 13, 2007, 05:16:00 pm »
No one did.
FUKIT

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1108 on: July 13, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »
  From a purely economic standpoint, scalpers simply arbitrage the difference between the level of natural demand (high) and the artificial price (low) of a commodity with limited supply.  That is a free market activity.  

(...)
 The argument that scalpers artificially increase demand is bunk.  If the demand for tickets was not higher than the supply, they couldn't charge a premium.
by this logic, food and shelter given to katrina or 9/11 victims should also be intercepted by "enterpreneurs", and they should charge for something that was previously free.  after all, aid isn't properly priced, i'm sure those people would be willing to pay for it.  only the market has the right to set prices.  always.
<sig>

distance

« Reply #1109 on: July 13, 2007, 06:15:00 pm »
re: a recording from tuesday night,

less than satisfactory results on most accounts because of less than satisfactory circumstances for tapers.

(and that's on the band's management, not the club -- if what i was told was correct).