Author Topic: The tickets are worth what they're worth  (Read 16664 times)

markie

Re: The tickets are worth what they're worth
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2003, 11:32:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Therefore, a not-so-popular show would sell tickets for their market value.  If not enough people were interested at $20, the tickets would sell for say, $3.00.

This would obviously be a very good deal for venues as more bums in a a show means more drink sales. But it would nice not to be gouged on the high end.

Nothing beats the convenience of buying a ticket directly for a fixed price though.

I mean, how many people who post here have bought tickets for shows off of ebay?

ggw

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2003, 11:37:00 am »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  I mean, how many people who post here have bought tickets for shows off of ebay?
I haven't specifically used eBay, but I've paid up to brokers if that's what it takes.

Six of one, half-dozen the other if you ask me.  Brokers tend to get the best seats anyway, and set higher prices.  So now TicketMaster is doing it.

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2003, 11:42:00 am »

I haven't specifically used eBay, but I've paid up to brokers if that's what it takes.

Six of one, half-dozen the other if you ask me.  Brokers tend to get the best seats anyway, and set higher prices.  So now TicketMaster is doing it. [/b]
Yeah, I have bought tickets on Ebay, but i dont like it....i have sold a couple on Ebay as well....and as far as I am concerned, brokers buy up the best seats anyway, so either way you aint loggin onto tm.com and getting your 3rd row tickets.....i mean, the only reason anyone got close at Radiohead is from WASTE, same with most bands with fan clubs.....fuck it....it may affect me once a year....

mankie

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2003, 11:48:00 am »
I was just making a general statement, not having a go at anyone or trying to start a rebellion. But I will say that if you are paying these high prices for these tickets then don't complain about it...it's a SHOW for crying out loud..if you were bitching about the cost of a life-saving medical procedure I would have a more sympathetic ear. There's quite a few shows I've skipped this year because I thought they were overpriced. I tend to calculate the cost of the evening rather than just the ticket price. Ticket, parking, couple of beers etc.

chknfngrs

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2003, 11:53:00 am »
I thought a ticket was worth the price printed on it.

Sir HC

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2003, 12:14:00 pm »
So what will happen?  Will ticket brokers out bid up thereby upping the cost for good seats even further (add more middlemen and the price just has to go up).  I can not see this being good as it will legitimize the higher prices for scalped tickets.  I guess this will not work for general admission shows, but I guess they will work around that with some bogus VIP section stuff at some venues.

In the end, another nail in the coffin of the music industry.  If they don't get their act together and deal with their greed issues then live shows will go the way of the recording industry.

Speaking of which, there was an article in Money Magazine (or something like that, it was while getting my car fixed) which had a big article about how bands are again making money solely from touring and how their recording labels are trying to get in on that action too by wanting a portion of the concert money.

sonickteam2

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2003, 12:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  So what will happen?  Will ticket brokers out bid up thereby upping the cost for good seats even further (add more middlemen and the price just has to go up).  I can not see this being good as it will legitimize the higher prices for scalped tickets.  I guess this will not work for general admission shows, but I guess they will work around that with some bogus VIP section stuff at some venues.

In the end, another nail in the coffin of the music industry.  If they don't get their act together and deal with their greed issues then live shows will go the way of the recording industry.

Speaking of which, there was an article in Money Magazine (or something like that, it was while getting my car fixed) which had a big article about how bands are again making money solely from touring and how their recording labels are trying to get in on that action too by wanting a portion of the concert money.
a relative of mine and ex-Universal employee told me once that less than $1 of a CD sale was given to the artist, while less than 10% of concert money was given to the label.

Jaguär

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2003, 12:50:00 pm »
  I'm curious about what happens to the money.  Does TM get to keep the excess profit? Or, does it go to all parties involved in the concert?
This was exactly one of the things that I wondered about. I don't trust those bastards for a second!

Though I didn't bother to read the article, I also wonder about the service charges and suspect that the conivers will turn to a percentage fee for auctions recognizing that they will haul in truckloads more money for higher priced tickets.

I've already heard that there is software (for a fee) for people to bid on ebay so that it sends your bid in at the last minute or so so that you can win a bid at the lowest cost. I'm sure it's usually professional resellers who use it. And I'm sure that the brokers and scalpers will be the most likely to use something like this to screw the true fan out money and of yet another means of access to their music.

ggw

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2003, 01:00:00 pm »
I read that the Polyphonic Spree ponied up some of their future concert revenue for their new contract.

bearman🐻

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2003, 02:48:00 pm »
I agree with Mankie here. I love Social Distortion, but the thought of seeing them at the MCI Center for the Boom Boom Huckjam thing was absurd. I'd rather pay $25 to see them at the 930. If the price is too much, then that's it...just don't go. If people stop paying a certain amount for certain bands, they'll be forced to tone down the huge production and big budgets and just narrow it down to a smaller venue and an audience that will pay less cash.

Bags

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2003, 04:29:00 pm »
The New York Times has a more in-depth article that discusses other new TicketBastard ideas.  It makes my blood boil.  I must boycott TicketBastard completely.  They *charge* you to print your own ticket, goddamn motherfuckers!?!?!?!

September 1, 2003
 Ticketmaster Auction Will Let Highest Bidder Set Concert Prices
 By CHRIS NELSON

Three years after Ticketmaster introduced ticketFast, its online print-at-home ticketing service, consumers have so embraced it that the company now sells a half-million home-printed tickets for sporting and entertainment events each month in North America. Where ticketFast is available, 30 percent of tickets sold are now printed at home, said the company, which is by far the nation's largest ticket agency.

But consumers â?? many of whom have complained for years about climbing ticket prices and Ticketmaster service charges â?? may be less eager for the next phase of Ticketmaster's Internet evolution.

Late this year the company plans to begin auctioning the best seats to concerts through ticketmaster.com.

With no official price ceiling on such tickets, Ticketmaster will be able to compete with brokers and scalpers for the highest price a market will bear.

"The tickets are worth what they're worth," said John Pleasants, Ticketmaster's president and chief executive. "If somebody wants to charge $50 for a ticket, but it's actually worth $1,000 on eBay, the ticket's worth $1,000. I think more and more, our clients â?? the promoters, the clients in the buildings and the bands themselves â?? are saying to themselves, `Maybe that money should be coming to me instead of Bob the Broker.' "

EBay has long been a busy marketplace for tickets auctioned by brokers and others. Late last week, for example, it had more than 22,000 listings for ticket sales.

Venue operators, promoters and performers will decide whether to participate in the Ticketmaster auctions, Mr. Pleasants said. In June, the company tested the system for the Lennox Lewis-Vitali Klitschko boxing match at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. The minimum bid for the package â?? two ringside seats, a boxing glove autographed by Mr. Lewis and access to workouts, among other features â?? was $3,000, and the top payer spent about $7,000, a Staples Center spokesman, Michael Roth, said.

Once the auction service goes live, Ticketmaster will receive flat fees or a percentage of the winning bids, to be decided with the operators of each event, said Sean Moriarty, Ticketmaster's executive vice president for products, technology and operations.

Along with home printing, auctions are central to "a new age of the ticket," Mr. Pleasants said. In the second quarter of this year, tickets sold online, with or without home printing, represented 51 percent of Ticketmaster's ticket sales. The rest were sold by phone or at walk-up locations.

Ticket Forwarding allows season ticket holders for several sports teams (including the New York Knicks, Rangers and Giants) to e-mail extra tickets to other users, with Ticketmaster charging the sender $1.95 per transaction.

TicketExchange provides a forum for season ticket holders to auction tickets online. The seller and buyer pay Ticketmaster 5 percent to 10 percent of the resale price, a fee the company splits with the team.

In the case of the ticketFast home-printing service, buyers pay an additional $1.75 to $2.50 per order, with the fee set by the event operator. Home printing has won converts among people who want tickets immediately, instead of receiving them by mail or a delivery service or having to stand in line at a will-call window.

One satisfied customer is Brian Resnik, 29, of Tampa, Fla., who says the home-printing fee is a bargain compared with the $19.50 that Ticketmaster charges for two-day shipping through United Parcel Service.

But some other users, who praised the convenience of home printing, objected to being charged an extra fee.

"It's kind of mind-boggling to me," said Joe Guckin, 41, of Philadelphia, who used ticketFast to buy tickets for a Baltimore Orioles home game last season. "You're printing up the ticket, on your printer at home, your paper, your ink, etc. â?? and you have to pay for that?"

The company replies that home-printing consumers are helping to pay for the technology that makes the service possible.

Ticketmaster has spent $15 million to $20 million to outfit almost 700 stadiums, arenas, theaters and concert halls in this country and Canada with bar-code scanners that read and authenticate the tickets and computers that capture information such as which seats are filled and which doors have the most traffic, Mr. Moriarty said. In 2003, the company has sold 400,000 to 600,000 ticketFast tickets each month.

Some ticketFast customers, like Diane DeRooy, 52, of Seattle, complain that Ticketmaster assesses a lot of fees even before levying the print-at-home charge. A ticket to see Crosby, Stills & Nash on Friday at the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, N.J., for example, carries $13.80 in venue, processing and convenience fees, plus a $2.50 charge for the home-printing option. Without the fees, a ticket costs $30.25 to $70.25.

Many of those customers are skeptical about Ticketmaster's plans to auction the best seats to concerts.

"The band's biggest fans ought to have the best seats, not the band's richest fans," said Tim Todd, 47, of Kansas City, Mo., who used ticketFast recently to buy tickets for a concert by the rock group Phish. Ticketmaster would be, in essence, official scalpers, Mr. Guckin said, voicing a sentiment expressed by some other customers.

Industry watchers agree that auctions will affect all concertgoers. Prime seats are undervalued in the marketplace, said Alan B. Krueger, a professor at Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, who has studied ticket prices. He predicts that once auctions begin revealing a ticket's market value, prices as a whole will climb faster.

Gary Bongiovanni, editor of the concert industry trade magazine, Pollstar, predicted that all ticket prices would become more fluid. After a promoter assesses initial sales from an auction, remaining ticket prices could be raised or lowered to meet goals.

The notion of ticket auctions is annoying, Mr. Resnik said, but he is resigned to them.

"I guess the capitalist inside me would say, `Hey, if that's what they can get for tickets, I guess that's just something I can't afford, like a yacht and a Learjet.' "

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2003, 04:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggw™:

I read that the Polyphonic Spree ponied up some of their future concert revenue for their new contract. [/b]
are the Polyphonic Spree really going to sell that many more records while on a major?  me thinks a great publist will be a better return on the money they are giving back to the record company.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2003, 04:40:00 pm »
me thinks that visa and mastercard are behind this one as well...  think of the finance charges on all those tickets people really can't afford will add up to!
T.Rex

Jaguär

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2003, 04:45:00 pm »
Some of this, especially the home ticketing option, reminds me of some of what has destroyed the travel agencies. Years ago, I use to be a travel agent and I witnessed the airlines doing some things like this which helped to destroy the business. This was well before 9/11 and before all that many people were online.

For one, they conditioned the passengers to expect the agents to get seat assignments and print the boarding passes for them. The airlines use to pay for each pass printed. Then they stopped paying the agents but the passengers expected the printed passes. And you all know how damned expensive printer ink is, not to mention other stock. Then they cut the commissions to agents yet fees were continually levied on the passengers.....Well, that's a completely different story but I can see the same kinds of money games being passed onto the music fans.

Celeste

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2003, 04:46:00 pm »
it's just an example of a truly free-market economy in microcosm here, guys...if you really care, you must revolt and refuse to buy any tickets through ticketmaster at all...I don't think we buy many tickets through ticketmaster, actually...it is possible not to