Author Topic: The tickets are worth what they're worth  (Read 16665 times)

ggw

Re: The tickets are worth what they're worth
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2003, 04:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 are the Polyphonic Spree really going to sell that many more records while on a major?  me thinks a great publist will be a better return on the money they are giving back to the record company.
No.  I think the label (Hollywood Records, I believe) was smart enough to see that the draw of PS is as a touring act.  Therefore, they asked for a cut of the touring proceeds as part of the contract.

What PS gets in return for this that makes it attractive for the band, well, that I don't know.

ggw

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2003, 04:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:
  it's just an example of a truly free-market economy in microcosm here, guys...if you really care, you must revolt and refuse to buy any tickets through ticketmaster at all...I don't think we buy many tickets through ticketmaster, actually...it is possible not to
Amen.

Ticketmaster is providing a service.  Sure, they suck. But if you don't like it and don't think it's worth the price they are asking, don't use it.  Because every time somebody buys a ticket through Ticketmaster, they are implicitly saying that the service is worth the price.

markie

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2003, 04:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

What PS gets in return for this that makes it attractive for the band, well, that I don't know.
Well they have an album waiting to be released.

Robbie Williams deal meant the record lable got monies from his concerts. As he just played to half a million people in three nights it is easy to imagine how EMI might get their 80 milion back.

markie

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2003, 04:53:00 pm »
  Amen.

[Devil worshipper]

What happens if tickets are only availble via ticketmaster.  say if the venue does not sell its own tickets? Isnt DAR that way?

Jaguär

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2003, 04:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  Once the auction service goes live, Ticketmaster will receive flat fees or a percentage of the winning bids, to be decided with the operators of each event, said Sean Moriarty, Ticketmaster's executive vice president for products, technology and operations.

Well, it looks like I called that one right.    :roll:

Sir HC

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2003, 04:58:00 pm »
So I now remember, it was Forbes magazine and it was in general talking about how some of these acts (Jay Z was the main example) make all their money off everything but albums and now the labels want in but they have nothing new to offer most bands.  Maybe PS was looking as they might just flop so get money now for the risk of failure (thought they are in a VW commercial right now).  Still I have been talking with friend's in bands, and so far this year 3 bands I know have been screwed by their labels (60 watt Shamen, Nothingface, and The Toilet Boys).  Not huge names, but you can't get there if no one will back you.

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2003, 05:01:00 pm »
You can get DAR tickets at the venue on the day of show, presuming it doesn't sell out. Don't know if the service charge differs from ticketmaster.

Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:

Amen.

[Devil worshipper]

What happens if tickets are only availble via ticketmaster.  say if the venue does not sell its own tickets? Isnt DAR that way? [/b]

markie

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2003, 05:13:00 pm »
Ok I have a scenario,

the white stripes annonce they are playing a 3000 seater venue in 10 weeks time.

TM decides to release all tickets on ebay. But it only releases 150 pairs of tickets every week. It does not tell people there are more tickets to be sold at the end of the first or subsequent allocations.

There will be massive demand for tickets amongst fans. Bidding wars break out and for the first three weeks people are getting gounged for over a $100 a ticket, some paying considerably more.

Is that a good way for a band to treat its fans and a good way for TM to generate money? The most ardent fans will be the ones paying the highest prices.

ggw

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2003, 05:14:00 pm »
 What happens if tickets are only availble via ticketmaster.  say if the venue does not sell its own tickets? Isnt DAR that way?
Then decide whether or not the show is worth the ticket price + $10, or whatever the service charges are.

Or, write the band and DAR and tell them that you won't be going to the show because it is impossible to purchase tickets for the advertised price.

Or. go down there the night of the show and buy tickets from some poor sap outside.  But only pay him the face value of the ticket.

mankie

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2003, 05:20:00 pm »
If someone pays $100 for White Stripes tickets I have absolutely no sympathy whatsofuckingever..they deserve to get ripped off.

markie

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2003, 05:20:00 pm »
   Then decide..............  
fine suggestions, but this way if there is no fixed ticket price, the scalper can charge what he wants.

More impotantly it is a way of getting the maximum amount of money out of people for a show. I would have paid $50 to have seen the tyde the other night. It cost $7.

jpbelmondo

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2003, 05:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggw™:

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 [qb]are the Polyphonic Spree really going to sell that many more records while on a major?  me thinks a great publist will be a better return on the money they are giving back to the record company. [/b]
Actually, as a 26-musician band, not to mention crew, the Spree requires a massive amount of tour support to be able to play gigs around the country (bus rental, hotels and meals for 30-odd people, insurance, per diems, etc.) Though there are some economies to their larger scale, I imagine this would be at least four times the amount that a standard 4-piece band would require. Their deal gives them enough money for all of them to quit their day jobs and play as much as they can.  They don't need a better publicist -- they have press out the wazoo.  What they need is an audience, and the best way for them to get that is to tour. And be in VW ads.

Jaguär

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2003, 05:22:00 pm »
  Ok I have a scenario,

the white stripes annonce they are playing a 3000 seater venue in 10 weeks time.

TM decides to release all tickets on ebay. But it only releases 150 pairs of tickets every week. It does not tell people there are more tickets to be sold at the end of the first or subsequent allocations.

There will be massive demand for tickets amongst fans. Bidding wars break out and for the first three weeks people are getting gounged for over a $100 a ticket, some paying considerably more.

Is that a good way for a band to treat its fans and a good way for TM to generate money? The most ardent fans will be the ones paying the highest prices.
And then Jack White breaks another finger the night before the show....   :eek:  

Anarchy in Detroit!!!

jadetree

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2003, 05:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by jpbelmondo:
  they have press out the wazoo.
really? walk around and ask random people if they have heard of them, bet most have not

mankie

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2003, 05:28:00 pm »

fine suggestions, but this way if there is no fixed ticket price, the scalper can charge what he wants.

[/b]
WRONG! the scalper can charge as much as people are willing to pay. If more people refused to pay the high prices they would drop.

You (the concert going public) have only yourselves to blame.