Author Topic: The tickets are worth what they're worth  (Read 16604 times)

jadetree

Re: The tickets are worth what they're worth
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2003, 05:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
 how about GBV or Dandy Warhols?
don't think so, if it was for GBV and it was that much it would probably mean a large venue, and the experience would lose a lot of what makes it worth that kind of money, and even if it was in a small venue, I would probably pay 50 for it, but not much more, ask me again about Dandy Warhols after I see them, but I would not pay it if it was the first time I was seeing them

Bags

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2003, 05:52:00 pm »
Hmmm, actually when I buy scalped tickets, it's usually because I want to pay *less* than face value (i.e., the Journey/Styx/Reo Speedwagon extravaganza at MCI that I got great seats for at less than face value because we waited until after the show started).

I'm usually on the ball, so I always get tickets to shows I want to see.  For now, the only reason to pay a lot for a show is that you didn't get a ticket.  

But, sure, there are bands I'd pay lots to see(some I won't admit to here).  But I don't want to pay Ticketbastard for the privilege.

Bags

« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2003, 05:53:00 pm »
PS, thanks for the rose-tinted post, markie, I needed that!

Jaguär

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2003, 05:58:00 pm »

Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Which would have been more than offset by how many shows that I would have MISSED if they had cost me anymore.
Oh I doubt it. Some shows I would have paid a lot for. Take the high strung or Cinerama or Lambchop. [/b]
Well, some people have more disposable income than others and some of us put more of a priority on concert going. All of that has to be weighed out. And then people like Sonic and I have other factors to consider. In my case, I have a 125 mile drive with rising gas prices. I've already missed a whole lot of shows that I would have loved to have seen for some of the above reasons. And then a few were missed out of just not feeling like taking that long ass haul.

Fico

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2003, 06:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

i am waiting for the inevitable "anal cavity search" before entering any venue.
you and Rhett. [/b]
Funniest comeback I've seen in a while mankie..you gave him the ole Manc Kirby Grip right there..

Bags

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2003, 06:01:00 pm »
You're on the money, Jaguar.  Plus, the real effect prices like those possible under these scenarios will have on me is cutting down on my concert-going posse.  I put a very high priority on seeing music, but not all of my friends do.  And while I'll do it, I prefer not to go to shows alone.

Oh, this is making me sad!!  (Again!  Damn, must be hormones.  Hope to hell no long distance commercials are on during the Boy Meets Boy finale tonight.)

Jaguär

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2003, 06:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  Oh, this is making me sad!!  (Again!  Damn, must be hormones.  Hope to hell no long distance commercials are on during the Boy Meets Boy finale tonight.)
Chocolate!

I'm serious. Stop at the store on the way home from work and buy lots of chocolate.

Best drug out there, short of Vioxx.   :p

Celeste

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2003, 07:56:00 pm »
  I have a 125 mile drive with rising gas prices...
you save $$$ on rent though, right? at least you don't have to cough up the dough for DC rents

Fluffy

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2003, 08:20:00 pm »
Well I honestly didn't believe it was possible for ticketmASSter to sink any lower. Guess I was wrong!!! This will make ticketmasterbater no better than the scalpers they condemn. Venues and bands need to work together to get ticketassmaster out of the loop. Let the clubs and fan clubs sell the tix. Screw TM!!!

Sir HC

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2003, 10:26:00 am »
This will end up being like friggin' airplane tickets.  You always have that feeling that everyone around you paid less for the flight, now the same thing at concerts.  Nothing could be more annoying than people bragging about how much or little they paid to see the show.  One more thing for the motorheads to spew on about while the bands are playing.

And yes there have been shows I would have paid over $100 for, but mostly after the fact, before hand with that risk involved, hell no.  As you say, Jack White might break his finger right before the show...

jpbelmondo

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2003, 12:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by jadetree:

Originally posted by jpbelmondo:
  they have press out the wazoo.
really? walk around and ask random people if they have heard of them, bet most have not [/b]
That's probably true, though I bet many have heard the VW ad and not known who the band was.  My point was not that they are popular, or well known, but that they have gotten massive amounts of press -- articles in every major music magazine, and extensive coverage in dailies and weeklies, including a full page article in the Post -- for a band which has only released a demo (re-released this summer on Hollywood) and has toured the US only once.

markie

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2003, 01:01:00 pm »
  only released a demo  
a demo? Their album is for sale in DCCD. Would you call that a demo?

Jaguär

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2003, 03:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

I have a 125 mile drive with rising gas prices...
you save $$$ on rent though, right? at least you don't have to cough up the dough for DC rents [/b]
But we are paid a lot less money per equal job.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2003, 07:54:00 am »
on the one hand, supply & demand will determine what tickets ought to be, which might be good.

on the other hand, the wealthiest people will have the best seats, which is fine for Billy Joel, but I'm not sure it creates the bond that newer bands need to establish with their fans.

I think the theory here was to simply take the top tier tickets out of the hands of scalpers so that these people could keep that markup themselves. what everyone needs to understand is that "these people" are the bands. TicketMaster is not going to be the ones to keep that extra money. The bands are the top of the heirarchical pyramid, and don't  ever let anyone try and USATODAY you otherwise. the whole reason that Pearl Jam took that fight on was because they hated the idea of someone else having any control. it had NOTHING to do with the consumer.

by the way, I have yet to be approached by anyone about doing this sort of sales.

jpbelmondo

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2003, 11:48:00 am »

only released a demo  
a demo? Their album is for sale in DCCD. Would you call that a demo? [/b]
It was originally recorded in 2 or 3 days (and sounds like it) as a demo to get them gigs, and they released it themselves when they saw there was a demand.  Hollywood picked up the rights to it this year.  So, yes, I'd call it a demo, just like those typically not-so-polished bonus tracks which were originally recorded for demo purposes but yet eventually wind up on a commercial release are still called demos.