Author Topic: D.C. = Fun, Fun, Fun!!!  (Read 9323 times)

Celeste

Re: D.C. = Fun, Fun, Fun!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2003, 11:52:00 am »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
 Durham, the perfect place if you want to concentrate on a PhD in theology or another boring issue. There is nothing to do in that city, come on, 9th Street is the only street in Durham and it is sort of depressing. Chapel Hill, that place also has one street that is equally depressing,yes with more stores, but still depressing, except for the Cat's Cradle and except if you want to buy all the UNC paraphernalia. Raleigh? No comments.

The best thing of RDU? Its airport where you used to be able to take a BA flight straight to London  and be anywhere in Europe in a few hours.
like Europe is so f'ckin great? It's alright...

anyway, I can see what you mean about Chapel Hill and Durham...I guess when you know fun people in any city it makes the place fun...I quite liked Raleigh when I visisted...

markie

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2003, 11:54:00 am »
I was somewhat dismayed at the criteria for judging most fun place.

It reads more like a list of conspicuous consumption. Does having the worlds biggest Mall on you doorstep really make somewhere fun?

As for Chapel Hill, there was nothing to do there other than drink and drive.

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2003, 11:55:00 am »
Originally posted by mankie:
  Why is Stuckeyville not on the list?

They have bowling and everything there.
I second that.

And Green Bay, too.  Beautiful plumage !  Green Bay has it all: cheese, bratwurst, beer & Lambeau field.  It's all anyone would need.

mankie

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2003, 12:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

[/b]
sounds like someone still hasn't gotten over the manic-mime incident!

You and your hubbie are just too American to appreciate Europe, you both probably bitched about the low water pressure coming out of the shower head, and the lack of ice in all the drinks, not to mention only two types of bread available for your sandwiches, and they don't have sour cream...my God those fuckers over there are nothing but savages...no sour cream indeed....then those cars, how fucking small does a car have to be for crying out loud...and what about their money, can't they use the US dollar? it's so inconvenient having to exchange currency, don't they know about Americans and they need to kiss our all US prime beef asses.

Celeste

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2003, 12:10:00 pm »

[/b]

You and your hubbie are just too American to appreciate Europe, you both probably bitched about the low water pressure coming out of the shower head, and the lack of ice in all the drinks, not to mention only two types of bread available for your sandwiches, and they don't have sour cream...my God those fuckers over there are nothing but savages...no sour cream indeed....then those cars, how fucking small does a car have to be for crying out loud...and what about their money, can't they use the US dollar? it's so inconvenient having to exchange currency, don't they know about Americans and they need to kiss our all US prime beef asses. [/b]
first of all, we don't really even drink drinks with ice...however, some fucking low fat yogurt and skim milk would be nice...of course, there was no shortage of cigarettes! we "appreciated" Europe...we (I can actually only speak for myself, so I will say "I") I am just not completely enamored with it, as some seem to be...like I said...it's alright

and I'd never complain about "exchanging" any currency...just go to a cash machine and you're good to go...

whatever

Barcelona

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2003, 12:23:00 pm »
The best thing of RDU? Its airport where you used to be able to take a BA flight straight to London  and be anywhere in Europe in a few hours. [/qb]

[/QB][/QUOTE]

That comment was just a joke. Of course you can be in NYC or Chicago in one third of the time it will take you to get to London or other cities in Europe.

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2003, 12:29:00 pm »
Shoot, you're totally right.

I've never heard any Brits/Europeans complain about America or Americans. It's just a one ay street. It's the Americans who do all of the complaining.

[/b]

You and your hubbie are just too American to appreciate Europe, you both probably bitched about the low water pressure coming out of the shower head, and the lack of ice in all the drinks, not to mention only two types of bread available for your sandwiches, and they don't have sour cream...my God those fuckers over there are nothing but savages...no sour cream indeed....then those cars, how fucking small does a car have to be for crying out loud...and what about their money, can't they use the US dollar? it's so inconvenient having to exchange currency, don't they know about Americans and they need to kiss our all US prime beef asses. [/b]

mankie

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2003, 12:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB] It's the Americans who do all of the complaining.

At lease we agree on one thing.

vansmack

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2003, 01:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Top 50 Fun Cities

1.  Minneapolis-St. Paul
 2.  Orange County, Calf.

Word.  Who was loathing me waking up this morning and seeing this?

Since we know there's about one month out of the year that you can actually go outside and enjoy yourself in Minnesota, I'll boast in the fact that "The OC" is the most fun place in ths US for the other 11 months!!!!

Representing.....

And yes Mank, "The OC" is a county and not a city, but it's all so good that it's hard to break it up.  For prosperity sake, we'll assume they're talking about Anaheim.

Venerable, a close second.  Well done.
27>34

Samantha

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2003, 01:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:
 I've been to jail in both.
And Philly as well? [/b]
that was probably the fantasy he was working for, being beat up by schoolgirls.  he's in jail jerking to it right now

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2003, 01:57:00 pm »
Let me tell you why I took an instant liking to that area for the year that I was there.

1. I don't go out to eat that often, but when I do, I like Indian, Italian, Thai, and Mexican. I could find all of those there, with vegetarian options aplenty.

2. There were a number of cool little independent coffeehouses and cafes.

3. I like to cook, and there were afforable grocery and whole foods stores.

4. I don't need a place that has four good concerts a week. One or two suits me plenty, and I found they get most of the shows that come to DC down there, at a lower ticket cost. I'n addition to the Cat's Cradle, there was Local 506 and a couple more in chapel Hill that I can't remember the name of. There was also the Brewery in Raleigh, and a couple of places in Durham that I never made it to in the one year.

5. You could drive 10 miles and be out into the beautiful countryside.

6. People didn't care what I did for a living, and didn't hinge their friendship on who I worked for or what I thought politically.

7. I'm a big baseball fan, and Durham had a beautiful minor league stadium. I'm not a basketball fan, but I imagine if I lived there long enough I would have been nudged into following ACC basketball, which would have been fun.

8. People (in general) seemed to strike a balance between building their education/career AND starting a family life, rather than being more focused on one or the other.

All of the above, and I didn't have to put up with city things that I instinctively dislike: tall buildings that block the view of the sky, massive traffic congestion, pollution, dodgy vagrants hitting me up for money, five dollar beers when I wanted to grab a pint, etc.

Originally posted by Barcelona:
  6. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, N.C.

Yes sure... I trust this survey.

Samantha

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2003, 01:58:00 pm »
  first of all, we don't really even drink drinks with ice...
bahaha, sorry that cracks me up as the first line of a counter-response

Jaguär

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2003, 02:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by Samantha:

first of all, we don't really even drink drinks with ice...
bahaha, sorry that cracks me up as the first line of a counter-response [/b]
Yeah. LOL. BUT...........why the Hell can't Europeans get some good ice? It's not like they don't have good technology or appliances there. Ice is so refreshing, especially on a very hot and humid day. There's nothing worse than a glass of iced tea with very little or no ice in it.

ratioci nation

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2003, 02:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 Word.  Who was loathing me waking up this morning and seeing this?

Since we know there's about one month out of the year that you can actually go outside and enjoy yourself in Minnesota, I'll boast in the fact that "The OC" is the most fun place in ths US for the other 11 months!!!!

Representing.....

And yes Mank, "The OC" is a county and not a city, but it's all so good that it's hard to break it up.  For prosperity sake, we'll assume they're talking about Anaheim.

Venerable, a close second.  Well done.
no offense vansmack, but i was in orange county for a couple of hours last month, and hated what I saw, it was 1 big strip mall, but I am sure there are better things about it that I did not see, did drive by the baseball stadium though

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2003, 03:50:00 pm »
Salt Lake City????  FORREAL?   i thought you couldnt even drink there?

Well, that sums up my decision, I was going to go to New York City, but screw that, I'll book my tickets to Chapel Hill, North Caolina.
 yawn.