Author Topic: An essay from Thom Yorke  (Read 7289 times)

thirsty moore

Re: An essay from Thom Yorke
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2003, 03:37:00 pm »
Who cares what he had to say.  What was he doing in DC?

sonickteam2

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2003, 03:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  life should not be a bunch of people stating facts and numbers. thom was being human in his argument against what he feels is wrong.
   he stated so in the end.

i am sure it was more well written than anything you couldve come up with.

you watch too much CNN my brother.
It's possible to do both, you know.  It's possible to be human while providing a logical explanation for your position.

If one has to rely solely on emotion for their argument, then chances are there isn't any intelligent support for their argument.  Since there are some decent factual arguments for opposing the WTO and Yorke chooses not to use them, he has constructed a poor article.

You spend to much time lighting candles on your Radiohead shrine my brother. [/b]
are you an english teacher or a debate teacher? "he has contstructed a poor article"
   maybe we just want his OPINION...well, or so he thinks. but really, if i wanted someones opinion, i dont care if he has facts, i can look the facts up anywhere....ok
   we need to end this, the dead horse is beaten

and YEAH , what WAS he doing in DC?

ggw

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2003, 03:46:00 pm »
 maybe we just want his OPINION...well, or so he thinks. but really, if i wanted someones opinion, i dont care if he has facts, i can look the facts up anywhere....ok

If the article was identical in every respect except it was written by Pat Buchannan or Ted Nugent or anybody else, would you feel as strongly about it?  I doubt it.

Follow principles, not people.

sonickteam2

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2003, 03:52:00 pm »

If the article was identical in every respect except it was written by Pat Buchannan or Ted Nugent or anybody else, would you feel as strongly about it?  I doubt it.

Follow principles, not people. [/b]
Did i ever say i was following what Thom Yorke wrote?   NO.  in fact, i didnt even fucking read it until you started getting on my nerves and trashing it!!! I dont like politics, especially reading articles about politics by musicians. I posted the article w/o even reading because i thought someone may find it interesting.
  Its about politics and people in DC like that shit (reason why i dont live in DC #245)

you talk so much shit , i dont think you even pay attention to exactly what you ARE saying.

I have no opinion on the article, and i dont particularly care for Thoms thoughts on the situation.  I was, however, defending that it wasnt "poor" just because it didnt have "facts"

thirsty moore

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2003, 04:01:00 pm »
Jeez Sonick, don't get all emotional.

sonickteam2

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2003, 04:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Jeez Sonick, don't get all emotional.
hehe. sorry

ggw

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2003, 04:05:00 pm »
   you talk so much shit , i dont think you even pay attention to exactly what you ARE saying.

Why the emphasis on "ARE" ?

I was, however, defending that it wasnt "poor" just because it didnt have "facts"
When is Thom Yorke going to get another shot at writing an Op-Ed piece?

My point was that he should have written something that was somewhat convincing and had some more meat than saying "The Western nations are shit."  By not doing so, he comes across as just another empty-headed posturing rock star. I had always assumed he was smarter than that.

sonickteam2

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2003, 04:10:00 pm »

My point was that he should have written something that was somewhat convincing and had some more meat than saying "The Western nations are shit."  By not doing so, he comes across as just another empty-headed posturing rock star. I had always assumed he was smarter than that. [/b]
well , ggw. i talked to him and he said he would try to do better next time.  Do you mind if i give him your email address and maybe you can proofread it before he posts it on his own website!  :)

ggw

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2003, 04:11:00 pm »
 well , ggw. i talked to him and he said he would try to do better next time.  Do you mind if i give him your email address and maybe you can proofread it before he posts it on his own website!   :)  
Should I negotiate my fee directly with Thom?  Or are you acting as his agent?

markie

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2003, 04:14:00 pm »
Thom Yorke in the pocket of the enemy........

You know GGW's first piece of advice to Thom will be to buy a newer S-class.

mankie

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2003, 10:15:00 am »
Thom's article is probably inferior to anything GGW could write because Thom doesn't spend all day on the internet on search engines trying to steal other peoples thoughts.

thirsty moore

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2003, 10:17:00 am »
Yeh, Thom's too busy ripping off Pink Floyd.

sonickteam2

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2003, 10:21:00 am »
  Yeh, Thom's too busy ripping off Pink Floyd.
at least he's got good taste.

thirsty moore

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2003, 10:23:00 am »
As a disclaimer, I listen to tons of bands that rip off others.

sonickteam2

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2003, 11:37:00 am »
  As a disclaimer, I listen to tons of bands that rip off others.
its pretty much impossible not to i think.

you just have to try to pick the best ones!