Author Topic: Pixies are Back?  (Read 6940 times)

markie

Re: Pixies are Back?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2003, 11:36:00 am »
Originally posted by jadetree:

I doubt it, he released two albums last year as well and there was no publicity [/QB][/QUOTE]

perhaps they are learning from their mistakes?

An un-named band spokesperson? Would that be the same as Franks spokesperson?

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2003, 11:45:00 am »
The sound clips on Amazon sound pretty good...

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  anybody so cynical as to believe that the rumoured renion is just a ploy to drum up interest in Frank Blacks twangy new album?

I mean, who actually said they were reforming?
Frank Blacks new album sucks eggs.  and i dont think they should put out a new record...tour, definitely. I mean, if the Sex Pistols can pull it off (which apparently you guys think they did) then the Pixies definitely can!!!  It would be a great show hearing the old classics of a band "just" before my time... [/b]

Mobius

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2003, 11:50:00 am »
(in best Cartman voice) "sweeeet"

Pixies reunion tour wouldn't be life altering like seeing them in 1989, but it'd be cool as hell.

mankie

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2003, 11:58:00 am »
Originally posted by Mobius:
  (in best Cartman voice) "sweeeet"

Pixies reunion tour wouldn't be life altering like seeing them in 1989, but it'd be cool as hell.
Please....how did it alter your life in 1989?

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2003, 12:00:00 pm »
I saw the Pixies live in London in 1989, and it didn't alter my life. Great show, but concerts generally aren't life-altering.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2003, 12:02:00 pm »
man, i saw BOC back in 78. . .that knarly eye-ball with the lasers shooting out of it. . .got me right in the eye, and i haven't been the same since.  BOC!!!!
OU812

Guiny

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2003, 12:09:00 pm »
QUOTE] Quit trying to defend you going to see Soft Cell    :)

Mobius

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2003, 12:42:00 pm »
Never saw them, so my own life wasn't altered.  It almost too obvious to argue, but seeing a certain band at the right time can definitely be life altering.  It provides "inspirado" as I believe Tenacious D would say, and make you want to play guitar, major in english, get a life, hit on indie chicks, or whatever.

Barcelona

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2003, 12:55:00 pm »
Fucking great news.

By the way, Frank Black put a couple of very decent albums in the early nineties. As for Kim Deal, her sin was to release a highly commercial album in the early nineties, but isn't "Pod" one of the best rock records ever? What about the Amps, that was a great record.

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2003, 01:33:00 pm »
I saw the Pixies in 1989.
 I have never played guitar or any other "rock" instrument.
 I still have no life.
 I majored in math and then education and now information systems.
 I married a Jamiroqaui fan.

I'm not sure that seeing the Pixies pushed me in any of those directions, but as GGW mentioned, I srill have the cool t-shirt, which probably cost me about 8 bucks. The concert ticket and backstage pass were free.

Originally posted by Mobius:
  Never saw them, so my own life wasn't altered.  It almost too obvious to argue, but seeing a certain band at the right time can definitely be life altering.  It provides "inspirado" as I believe Tenacious D would say, and make you want to play guitar, major in english, get a life, hit on indie chicks, or whatever.

dlcjr1775

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2003, 01:44:00 pm »
I'm excited to to hear they are getting back together, being a big Frank Black and the Catholics fan. I never got to see the Pixies when they were together. I think Frank's albums, both solo and with the Catholics are great, certainly better the crap that is churned out on the radio every day. The new album in particular is a good example of FB's songwriting talents. And Rhett, why do you insist on insulting people whose music tastes differ from yours? Does anyone who posts on this topic who is excited about a reunion deserve to be called a clown? Why do the regulars on this board continue to put up with such a narrow-minded jerk?

markie

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2003, 01:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by dlcjr1775:
   Rhett, why do you insist on insulting people whose music tastes differ from yours?

Why do the regulars on this board continue to put up with such a narrow-minded jerk?
Pot- Kettle, "You are black!"

ggw

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2003, 01:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by dlcjr1775:
 And Rhett, why do you insist on insulting people whose music tastes differ from yours? Does anyone who posts on this topic who is excited about a reunion deserve to be called a clown? Why do the regulars on this board continue to put up with such a narrow-minded jerk?
We ceased taking Rhett seriously years ago.

Some of the best shows I've seen this year were by "old" guys or "reunion" tours.

Paul Weller
 Mission of Burma
 Rollins / Black Flag

markie

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2003, 01:49:00 pm »
perhaps a more productive appraoch to Rhett would be to ask him about that great night in 1989 and how he got backstage passes, how much blow he did, then who he blew?

markie

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2003, 01:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Some of the best shows I've seen this year were by "old" guys or "reunion" tours.

Paul Weller
 Mission of Burma
 Rollins / Black Flag
might have been enjoyable shows, but you have to admit there is something derisable about these tours. All of these acts did their best work years or decades ago. So that means you are succumbing to nostalgia.