Author Topic: Pixies are Back?  (Read 6941 times)

Re: Pixies are Back?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2003, 02:04:00 pm »
My friend and I happened to be walking by the venue, and we stopped to have a listen from the outside. A cute little purple haired British girl asked us if we needed tickets, and we replied that we didn't have any $$ on us. She said, "No, they're free, and I have a backstage pass if you want it.."

Those British women, they never could resist me...

Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  perhaps a more productive appraoch to Rhett would be to ask him about that great night in 1989 and how he got backstage passes, how much blow he did, then who he blew?

ggw

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2003, 02:07:00 pm »
   So that means you are succumbing to nostalgia.
And that is bad because.....?

markie

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2003, 02:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

And that is bad because.....? [/b]
because those artistes were only culturally relevant at their peak, which was many moons ago.

ggw

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2003, 02:30:00 pm »

And that is bad because.....? [/b]
because those artistes were only culturally relevant at their peak, which was many moons ago. [/b]
I don't buy that.

If somebody made music 15-20 years ago that is either directly influencing today's artists, or influenced a generation of artists who are influencing a new generation, then they are still culturally relevant.

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2003, 02:34:00 pm »
The Beach Boys influenced a lot of great bands, and I think they were perhaps the most experimental and musically interesting of all commercially successful bands.

But I won't be seeing any of their reunion shows, even if Brian Wilson joins up.

mankie

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2003, 02:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
   even if Brian Wilson joins up.
Didn't he turn into a retard or something?

ggw

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2003, 02:41:00 pm »
  The Beach Boys influenced a lot of great bands, and I think they were perhaps the most experimental and musically interesting of all commercially successful bands.

But I won't be seeing any of their reunion shows, even if Brian Wilson joins up.
I would agree.  Because I think they would put on a poor musical performance, and because they would play a lot of the later Kokomo crap.  And it would be overpriced.

Plus, wasn't much of the Beach Boys greatness in their production skills?

markie

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2003, 02:46:00 pm »

[qb] Plus, wasn't much of the Beach Boys greatness in their production skills? [/b]
you wouls think so, but I have a live album of theirs and it is surprisingly good. If you read reviews, they were rated, live as well.

I think Brian Wilson is close to being ok these days. They did pet sounds at the royal albert hall a couple of years ago didnt they and wolftrap this summer?

thirsty moore

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2003, 03:02:00 pm »
No, Brian Wilson did Pet Sounds with an orchestra.

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2003, 03:06:00 pm »
Is John Stamos still playing drums for the Beach Boys? He's pretty hot.

markie

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2003, 03:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
It was billed as the beach boys. What is the point of the beach boys without Brian. Its like the doors without Jim of INXS without Michael.

Guiny

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2003, 04:50:00 pm »
All Beach Boys songs sound the same.......Except Kokoma of course.

bearman🐻

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2003, 04:57:00 pm »
I saw the Pixies in 1990 and it changed my life...I was 15, it was my first concert, and when I went to my high school the next day on cloud 9, I got incessant shit from my classmates for liking the band with "the pussy name".  You know what? I enjoyed being different then, and I enjoy being different now.  And you know what most of those people were listening to? Vanilla Ice, Motley Crue, and 2 Live Crew. I don't care if going to see the Pixies is a trip down memory lane...they wrote great songs that still stand up today, and those songs are still better than most of the stuff these new "indie" bands are putting out.

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2003, 05:02:00 pm »
Did Brian Wilson do all of the lead vocals? I was always under the impression that Mike Love did a lot of the lead vocals.

And harmonies played a much greater role in the Beach Boys songs, there were no harmony vox in inxs or doors.

Originally posted by thirsty moore:
It was billed as the beach boys. What is the point of the beach boys without Brian. Its like the doors without Jim of INXS without Michael. [/b]

bearman🐻

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2003, 05:24:00 pm »
This Pixies story is one of the many reasons why I love Pitchfork: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/03-09/10.shtml