Author Topic: Pixies are Back?  (Read 6943 times)

jadetree

Pixies are Back?
« on: September 10, 2003, 09:09:00 am »
Pixies To Reunite For Tour In April 2004; New Album Possible
 [Posted Wednesday, September 10th, 2003 02:30:00 Pitchfork Central Time]

John L. Ferrer and Will Bryant report:
 There's that rare time when a sarcastic, jaded music news site has to report without any sarcasm or irony. Short of the Velvet Underground, there's no band more beloved, more important, more cited as an influence in indie rock than the Pixies. Whether you're strictly a Doolittle man (surely one of the finest damn rock albums ever) or an obsessive who can name every Trompe le Monde b-side, the Pixies' contributions to the alternative rock canon are sacred texts, the alpha cell of a paisley-flecked v23 flowchart that, down various impeccably typeset branches, might lead to Nirvana, to the Breeders, to Throwing Muses, Guided By Voices, Modest Mouse, Trail of Dead, or Enon.

Sadly, most of these revelations weren't made until after the band's prime. Since their reportedly messy and bloody demise in 1993, fans have signed on by the dozens-- based partially on the recommendation of Kurt Cobain, and partially by their desire to find something truly exuberant, legitimate, funny and weird in their music. Anyone born in the '80s might surely have at some point sighed and abandoned all hope of seeing the Pixies on stage at all. In a sense, the idea of a Pixies reunion has almost become a joke, the indie-kid version of "Yeah, when pigs fly." So when the report came in July that all four original members (that's Black Francis, Kim Deal, David Lovering, and Joey Santiago) have been secretly practicing together every couple of blue moons since the breakup, there was the first glimmer of hope.

Now that the heavyhandedness is past, here comes the point. The glimmer is now a full-blown supernova. It's happening. In April. No dates yet, not even any quotes from the group's principals-- just a band spokesperson's promise to MTV, who broke the story. The source, who remains unnamed in MTV's story, also claims that if all goes well a studio album will follow.

The Pixies. Are back. Together. Music is saved. Lovers of rock, unite and cheer. This is going to truly own.

Re: Pixies are Back?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 09:19:00 am »
Who cares.

Why don't we bring Nolan Ryan, Joe Montana, and Magic Johnson back while we're at it.

jadetree

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 09:21:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Who cares.

I do

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 09:33:00 am »
Any of you clowns who are excited by this should NEVER again be allowed to give Mankie shit about his music taste being stuck in the past.

Frank Black's albums have only been decent, and Kim Deal's have pretty much sucked. What makes you think that somehow their "wonderful" chemistry is going to allow them to squeeze out a good record.

Has beens.

bearman🐻

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 09:34:00 am »
LOL...I'll be the first in line to admit that I care...this was the band that changed the way I listened to music.  It was through the Pixies that I discovered so much other good music.  I know it's a bold statement, but the Pixies totally changed my life and without them I was able to survive high school and my adolescence.  Some people say that Kiss saved their lives...for me, it was the Pixies. I'm not going to hold my breath to see this happen, but it would be nice to see.

jadetree

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2003, 09:39:00 am »
  Any of you clowns who are excited by this should NEVER again be allowed to give Mankie shit about his music taste being stuck in the past.

Frank Black's albums have only been decent, and Kim Deal's have pretty much sucked. What makes you think that somehow their "wonderful" chemistry is going to allow them to squeeze out a good record.

Has beens.
uh, I am more excited about them touring, I have seen Frank Black and the Breeders put on great shows in the last year or so, and when Frank Black plays Pixies songs they are still great, so I have no reason to doubt their live show will be nothing but great, as for the album, I have my doubts, but don't assume they can't do it

ggw

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2003, 09:40:00 am »

Has beens.
This from a guy who still regularly wears a "Death To The Pixies" t-shirt?

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2003, 09:41:00 am »
err. that should be WITH and not without, LOL.   :)  And for the record...my first concert was the Pixies. I wouldn't call them has-beens...that would imply they were actually popular in the first place, and the Pixies never really did achieve commercial success or platinum sales.  That's probably one of the reasons why I liked them so much...they were too abstract to be commerical like Jane's Addiction or Nirvana.

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2003, 09:43:00 am »
Good for The Pixies.

Maybe this time people will actually show up for their gigs in America.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2003, 10:56:00 am »
I am much more excited by the Mavericks reunion tour. Though not excited enough to pay $35 to see them at the Birchmere, or drive to Towson and pay $25 at the REcher.

Guiny

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2003, 11:11:00 am »
  Who cares.

Why don't we bring Nolan Ryan, Joe Montana, and Magic Johnson back while we're at it.
Great point Rhett, its funny how everyone on this board makes fun of bands that come back and even play into their forties, but when its one of their own beloved bands its the greatest idea in the world, like they were the first to think of it......hypocrites.

jadetree

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2003, 11:14:00 am »
Originally posted by Guiny:
  Great point Rhett, its funny how everyone on this board makes fun of bands that come back and even play into their forties, but when its one of their own beloved bands its the greatest idea in the world, like they were the first to think of it......hypocrites.
Who does that Guiny?  Isn't there another thread about artists who are still good in their 40s?  Didn't people on this board go see X, Sex Pistols, Television, Mission of Burma?  Quit trying to defend you going to see Soft Cell   ;)  .

markie

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2003, 11:24:00 am »
anybody so cynical as to believe that the rumoured renion is just a ploy to drum up interest in Frank Blacks twangy new album?

I mean, who actually said they were reforming?

jadetree

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2003, 11:32:00 am »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  anybody so cynical as to believe that the rumoured renion is just a ploy to drum up interest in Frank Blacks twangy new album?

I doubt it, he released two albums last year as well and there was no publicity

sonickteam2

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2003, 11:34:00 am »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:

I mean, who actually said they were reforming?
Frank Blacks new album sucks eggs.  and i dont think they should put out a new record...tour, definitely. I mean, if the Sex Pistols can pull it off (which apparently you guys think they did) then the Pixies definitely can!!!  It would be a great show hearing the old classics of a band "just" before my time...