Author Topic: 15 Most Ill-Advised Career Reinventions in Rock Music Hi  (Read 6925 times)

Brian_Wallace

15 Most Ill-Advised Career Reinventions in Rock Music Hi
« on: October 18, 2007, 07:59:00 pm »
15 Most Ill-Advised Career Reinventions in Rock Music History

"While we won't know how the robots feel about the Pumpkins' work until long after Billy Corgan is dead, just about every human can agree it was awful."  AMEN!

"Music From "The Elder", was so bad that the band didn't even go on tour to promote it. Let's take a second and consider that the boys who weren't above painting up their faces to look like stars and cats and wrote songs almost exclusively about partying, didn't want to go on tour with this album because it would have been too  embarassing . "

"Somehow, inexplicably, Eddie Van Halen decided to take what was broke in the band and make it even more broken by singing lead vocals on one track, sending a message of, "Hey, it could be worse," to the many fans dissatisfied with Cherone's performance. "

"Their recording process reads like a "how to" guide for great bands who want to make sure they never sell another album.

Step One: Get rid of song writing partner and guitar visionary John Frusciante.

Step Two: Replace him with metal-inspired possible trannie, Dave Navarro.

Step Three: Press record. "

"U2 Takes a 12-Track-Long Shit"

I think Cracked.com's pretty funny.  I also liked "Where aren't they now?: 5 Post- Star Wars  careers more pathetic than Mark Hamill's" (similar to Peter Griffin's Han Solo introducing himself as "the only actor whose career isn't destroyed by this movie." in the Star Wars/Family Guy a couple weeks back) and "The 10 Most Asinine Movie Twist Endings."

Brian

Mobius

Re: 15 Most Ill-Advised Career Reinventions in Rock Music Hi
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:36:00 pm »
First of all Garth Brooks as Chris Gaines has to be #1.  It has to.  It was the most embarrassing, ill-conceived idea in music history.  Even worse was his idea to host SNL w/ musical guest Chris Gaines.  Garth never recovered.

U2 Pop is not that bad.  In fact its got some great moments - the ending of Please and Wake Up Dead Man was really nice.

And Bowie should not be on that list.  Was it really a reinvention? He was instrumental in developing electonic music w/ Eno, and in particular w/ the album Low.  And I'm Afraid of Americans was an ok song.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 12:38:00 am »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
 I think Cracked.com's pretty funny.
coming from someone who thinks the same of dane cook, i'll take that with an appropriately-sized grain of salt.
<sig>

thirsty moore

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 08:39:00 am »
I want a remote control waterfall like MC Hammer.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 09:07:00 am »
Lou Reed and David Bowie?  I think not.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 09:44:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  Lou Reed and David Bowie?  I think not.
I've never in my life felt compelled to put a "smiley" in any of these messages.  After all, I'm not a ten year-old girl with stickers on my school notebook.  But if I could roll my eyes...

I just don't GET IT!  What IS IT with you people?  If it's not treating old rockers with a reverence beholden to Allah or Jesus Christ it's lists!  LISTS!  Top Tens!  Best of's!  Rankings!  My favorite album of the year!  Best show I've seen in the last six months?  Are you so anal retentive and dim that you can only deal with life when you know that "The Office" is your sixth favorite television show but "The Wire" just beats it out at No. 5?

Saying David Bowie is "legendary" or Lou Reed is "innovative" is like trying to preserve a Big Mac sandwich as if it's an antique.  After only a few days it begins to smell.

Archibald MacLeish once said a poem "shouldn't mean but be."  Doesn't ANYBODY here feel that way about music?  That rock music shouldn't be revered and treated like Holy Script?  No ONE in pop culture has their ass kissed more than useless idiots like Bruce Springsteen and John Lennon.  Don't you ever get sick of it?  Ever?  Hearing the same classic rock/hits of the 90s over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?  John Lennon was dead before most of you were born!  Who CARES about John Lennon?  He's got nothing to say about anything that's going on in my life.

I just thought on this message board, there would be ONE or TWO people who were as sick and disgusted by this cultural hegemony as I am.  I guess not.

I grew up near a very large paper mill.  There's an area where thousands of huge trees are brought in every day.  Trees that have been "clear cut."  I know you're all city folk but do you know what the concept of clear cutting is?  From Wikipedia:

"Clearcutting or clearfelling is a Forestry/Logging practice in which all/most trees in an area are harvested, to facilitate the regrowth of a new stand."

It's been almost forty years since the Beatles broke up and we're STILL talking about them.  Why hasn't clearcutting occured in rock n roll?

Brian

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 09:50:00 am »
We're all just bastards here trying to get you down. And we're winning   :p

Mobius

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 09:54:00 am »
Isn't Archibold MacLeish the real name of Mayor McCheese??

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 10:12:00 am »
  I'm not a ten year-old girl with stickers on my school notebook.  But if I could roll my eyes...

:roll:

slappy

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 10:35:00 am »
 Who CARES about John Lennon?  He's got nothing to say about anything that's going on in my life.

That says more about the pathetic life you're leading than Lennon's relevance.

Yoko's bush > Britney's beaver

thirsty moore

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 10:41:00 am »
So you grew up around the stench of pulp.  That sucks man.

[QB]I grew up near a very large paper mill.  [QB]

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 10:45:00 am »
So why are you spending so much time in a place you have such disdain for?

I just don't GET IT!  What IS IT with you people?  If it's not treating old rockers with a reverence beholden to Allah or Jesus Christ it's lists!  LISTS!  Top Tens!  Best of's!  Rankings!  My favorite album of the year!  Best show I've seen in the last six months?  Are you so anal retentive and dim that you can only deal with life when you know that "The Office" is your sixth favorite television show but "The Wire" just beats it out at No. 5?

?

Brian

ggw

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 11:16:00 am »
Old growth forests are needed for climate buffering, biodiversity protection, forest restoration seed stock and are vital to achieving global ecological sustainability.  Clearcutting destroys all that.  Just ask Al Gore.

TheDirector217

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 11:25:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Just ask Al Gore.
And threads like this are the EXACT reason he invented the Internet.

True story.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 11:30:00 am »
Seriously, the whole searching the internet for articles, etc that support your claims, posting them and then getting indigent when instant support isn't offered up is tiresome... Been there done that on this board... If being run out of town on rail is your idea of a good time, we'd be happy to oblige..

FYI, I bought in my late 30s my one and only Beatles album..
T.Rex