Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2549830 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #870 on: June 18, 2009, 08:02:41 pm »
Clark Sabine of Statehood.

We are deeply saddened to tell you that Clark passed away on Tuesday evening at a hospice in Arlington, VA. He was first diagnosed with melanoma in February of 2008, and after a series of surgeries and treatments, we thought he was in the clear. In the fall the cancer returned and spread to other parts of his body. Experimental treatments were in the works, but we needed chemotherapy to shrink some of the tumors before beginning this treatment. In May, we found out that the chemo was not working and that the condition was terminal. Clark was 33 years old.

As a band, we had 10 songs in line for a second Statehood record, and we?ll talk about where we go with that in weeks to come. While Clark was in hospice care, he did some additional tracking with our friends Nikhil and Jason, and we listened to newer recordings to sort out details in the songs. Music was insanely important to Clark, and it gave him comfort to keep working on songwriting until the end.

Playing in a band with Clark was extraordinary and something to look forward to week in and week out. Often at practice we?d be laughing until we couldn?t breathe from Clark?s wild sense of humor and adventure. Anyone who knew him, even in passing, knows exactly what we mean. To say that he will be missed is an absurd understatement.

Thank you to everyone who gave Clark and the band support through these trying times. We will come back with more information as soon as we have it.

That is sad.  That hospice is right up the street from me and I know quite a few folks who have either died there or in their care.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:43:16 am by RatBastard »
FUKIT

Relaxer

« Reply #872 on: June 23, 2009, 09:12:29 am »
Quote:
Ed McMahon died peacefully in his sleep at the UCLA Medical Center. [17] McMahon publicist and friend Howard Bragman has confirmed Ed McMahon died just past midnight on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. [18] Ed McMahon was 86. He was brutally sodomized by Gary B. Patek

oword

brennser

« Reply #873 on: June 23, 2009, 02:59:41 pm »
May 26, 2009
Jay Bennett, Ex-Member of Wilco, Dies at 45

Jay Bennett autopsy: Accidental pain-killer overdose
Former Wilco member Jay Bennett died of a pain-killer overdose, the Champaign County coroner said Wednesday, and his office is investigating Bennett?s death as an accident.

Tests showed Bennett died from fentanyl, often prescribed to treat chronic pain, said the coronor, Duane Northrup. Bennett, who died May 24 at his home in Urbana, Ill., had posted a few weeks earlier on his MySpace site that he would need hip-replacement surgery. 

?A decade plus of multiple nightly stage jumps and various other rock and roll theatrics had finally taken a toll that I could no longer merely deal with or ignore,? he wrote, but added that he did not have health insurance to cover costs of the surgery.

Bennett, born in northwest suburban Rolling Meadows, was a multi-instrumentalist, songwriter and engineer in Wilco from 1994 to 2001, when he departed the band acrimoniously. He sued Wilco founder Jeff Tweedy in early May, claiming that he was owed royalties for songs.

walkonby

« Reply #874 on: June 23, 2009, 03:07:03 pm »
Quote:
Ed McMahon died peacefully in his sleep at the UCLA Medical Center. [17] McMahon publicist and friend Howard Bragman has confirmed Ed McMahon died just past midnight on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. [18] Ed McMahon was 86. He was brutally sodomized by Gary B. Patek

« Reply #875 on: June 23, 2009, 03:07:52 pm »
The guy had a triple major which included math and education. He could have easily gotten his teaching certificate, gotten a teaching job, and gotten health insurance.

May 26, 2009

Former Wilco member Jay Bennett died of a pain-killer overdose, the Champaign County coroner said Wednesday, and his office is investigating Bennett?s death as an accident.

Tests showed Bennett died from fentanyl, often prescribed to treat chronic pain, said the coronor, Duane Northrup. Bennett, who died May 24 at his home in Urbana, Ill., had posted a few weeks earlier on his MySpace site that he would need hip-replacement surgery. 

?A decade plus of multiple nightly stage jumps and various other rock and roll theatrics had finally taken a toll that I could no longer merely deal with or ignore,? he wrote, but added that he did not have health insurance to cover costs of the surgery.

Bennett, born in northwest suburban Rolling Meadows, was a multi-instrumentalist, songwriter and engineer in Wilco from 1994 to 2001, when he departed the band acrimoniously. He sued Wilco founder Jeff Tweedy in early May, claiming that he was owed royalties for songs.

Relaxer

« Reply #876 on: June 23, 2009, 04:05:20 pm »
A) I didn't see Wilco has being much a "stage jump" band
B) I *really* didn't see Jay as being the stage-jumper, were there to be some during a Wilco performance
C) It's not the clothes that count, its what's in your heart
oword

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #877 on: June 23, 2009, 04:10:18 pm »
Kinda hard to pull off getting a teaching gig when you're walking around high on fentanyl patches.

But yeah you're right.

The guy had a triple major which included math and education. He could have easily gotten his teaching certificate, gotten a teaching job, and gotten health insurance.

May 26, 2009

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #878 on: June 24, 2009, 03:04:40 pm »
RIP: Andy Hughes, producer for The Orb, Basement Jaxx, and Kovak

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/RIP-Andy-Hughes-producer-for-The
http://www.trashmenagerie.com/blog/2009/06/23/the-orbs-andy-hughes-passes-at-the-age-of-44/

this happened on june 12... y'all be slackin'.
<sig>

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #879 on: June 24, 2009, 03:10:11 pm »
A) I didn't see Wilco has being much a "stage jump" band
B) I *really* didn't see Jay as being the stage-jumper, were there to be some during a Wilco performance
C) It's not the clothes that count, its what's in your heart
From what Jay said in his blog post, he injured himself stage jumping while playing with Titantic Love Affair, not Wilco.

« Reply #880 on: June 24, 2009, 03:16:49 pm »
I actually recall Jay jumping around quite a bit onstage, certainly compared to the two dozen other people  who've ever been in the band.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #881 on: June 24, 2009, 03:19:03 pm »
Pat does a fair amount of jumping around these days.  And you could almost say what Nels does is "jumping."

« Reply #882 on: June 24, 2009, 03:24:39 pm »
I forgot about Pat, I don't really pay him any attention.  :D

And Nels has health issues of his own, probably due to his stage antics...

Pat does a fair amount of jumping around these days.  And you could almost say what Nels does is "jumping."

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #883 on: June 24, 2009, 03:28:12 pm »
I like Pat a lot.  He brings the cliche rock star moves to Wilco shows these days.  I appreciate him for that.

And I worry about Nels, especially after the interview in Ashes.  He goes all out all the time.  And he's not exactly young.

Sage 703

« Reply #884 on: June 24, 2009, 03:31:43 pm »
Mark Sanford's political future: http://bit.ly/6VnuT