Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2529723 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #1095 on: January 05, 2010, 11:34:23 pm »
Oh man. While I'm pretty buzzed off the H's (Hendricks and Hennessey VSOP) and stunned at the US' phenomenal collapse in the last 4 minutes of the 3rd period in what looked like a sure hallmark IIHF WJC win, let me comment on Gregory Slay's passing.

I know I'm probably going to get slagged for this, but I really liked Remy Zero when they came out. That first album was all kinds of astronomical and a local radio station in Richmond put together a "Birthday Bash" where they blocked a couple of streets in Shockoe Bottom and brought like 12 bands to town for $5. Most were terrible: Cake, Sugarcult, etc. But 3 were really awesome: Abandoned Pools, Pete Yorn, and Remy Zero. It was the one time I got to see Remy Zero.

I must say, I was disappointed. I have never seen a band with such obvious talent among all the members unable to find a sustainable dynamic. It was like a classic middleweight fight, with every member punching and counter-punching, trying to put themself forward as the de facto frontman, wanting their skills to shine through, to be a sonic Town on a Hill we'd all look up to, but inevitably unable to knock the other members out of the occasion. As sport, it would've been beautiful, but as a group performance it was as embarrassing as it was unyielding.

And ultimately, that's the elements that drove Remy Zero apart relatively young. Had the members simply embraced an insouciance to individual accolade, they could've left their mark, but as it stands, they reside as fickle gossamer in the back of my Julian brain. Whenever I think of Remy Zero, I think of Woody Allen's character's favorite joke from Annie Hall about the two women at the restaurant where the one comments about how bad the food was and the other says, "Oh, I know... and what small portions." Remy Zero was that restaurant... what terrible discord, what shallow selfishness ripped them to shreds, and yet what small portions they left behind. What a loss. What a pointless, pointless loss.

-julian

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #1096 on: January 06, 2010, 12:22:58 am »
Oh wait, the US came back to win this in OT. Fuck that guy.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #1097 on: January 06, 2010, 01:41:28 pm »
cant believe i missed that game. the world juniors have been exciting to watch!

HeyLa

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #1098 on: January 07, 2010, 02:52:45 pm »
😐 🎶

vansmack

« Reply #1099 on: January 07, 2010, 03:33:39 pm »

POTW.
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #1100 on: January 07, 2010, 04:14:05 pm »
artie lange . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ?

oh wow!!!  man that sucks.  i hope he gets all the help he needs and makes a hell of a comeback!

walkonby

« Reply #1101 on: January 09, 2010, 11:35:27 am »

goodbye . . . mister genius.  you made my childhood.

killsaly

« Reply #1102 on: January 10, 2010, 12:56:07 am »
Ive been neglecting the Stern show as of late... I didnt even hear about Artie till reading this.  Shit, what the hell.

eltee

« Reply #1103 on: January 10, 2010, 02:29:32 pm »
Good observations about Remy Zero, Julian. Check out some of Gregory's side projects / music.
Also, I'm not sure of the entire connection or back story, but I think he played drums for Laura Burhenn last spring.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #1104 on: January 11, 2010, 11:13:33 am »
Ive been neglecting the Stern show as of late... I didnt even hear about Artie till reading this.  Shit, what the hell.

Lisa G broke down on air this morning about Artie.

Relaxer

« Reply #1105 on: January 13, 2010, 04:40:07 pm »
There's a rumor floating around that Jay Reatard has fled this mortal coil
oword

nkotb

« Reply #1106 on: January 13, 2010, 04:59:12 pm »
That doesn't look good:

http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1107 on: January 13, 2010, 05:16:31 pm »
That doesn't look good:

http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php

that goner recs board won't load for me, but i found this: http://www.spinner.com/2010/01/13/jay-reatard-death/

Memphis garage rocker Jay Reatard has died at 29. Goner Records, which has put out several of Reatard's releases, confirmed the news on its website, saying "It is with great sadness that we report the passing of our good friend Jay Reatard. Jay died in his sleep last night. We will pass along information about funeral arrangements when they are made public."

According to news outlet Commercial Appeal, Reatard -- whose real name was Jay Lindsey -- was found dead in his Midtown Memphis home at 3:30AM Wednesday morning. Memphis police spokesperson Jennifer Robinson said that an investigation is ongoing.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:35:03 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #1108 on: January 13, 2010, 05:25:33 pm »
Been an awful couple months for the music world. :(
احمد

vansmack

« Reply #1109 on: January 13, 2010, 05:30:39 pm »

My first thought on this was that he was pulling a Johnny Quid from RocknRolla, but it's not looking good.
27>34