Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2600864 times)

Mobius

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #1515 on: July 26, 2011, 08:50:00 am »
Walkonby, you say Winehouse is a terrible psycopath, I say she is a tragic depressive. Some people just liked her music.  I say Phishs soulless goofy music is a worse crime than substance abuse and a death spiral of poisonous relationships.  Don't make purposefully offensive statements and then act like a victim.  Its embarrassing.

sauce07

« Reply #1516 on: July 26, 2011, 09:07:28 am »
Am I missing something? Did Phish's crunchy grooves kill Amy Winehouse?

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #1517 on: July 26, 2011, 10:05:06 am »
"F*cking good riddance to bad rubbish. I don´t give a f*cking sh*t, and nobody else does either. It is just fun to fake sympathy, that's all they're doing." - Johnny Rotten on Elvis Presely's death.

I have to agree on Walkie on this one.

First of all Mobius, if Winehouse was depressed, we're ALL depressed.  Just because she was a good singer with SOME grit doesn't make her an esteemed artist above and immune to the slings and arrows of outrageous Twitter feeds.

I mean it would have been NICE to have a few more Nirvana, Amy Winehouse, etc. records.  (But no one really missed any more Sex Pistols records.  Sid never played a note anyhow.  Talk about famous for being famous.  "England for the English...")  But they weren't strong enough to handle their drug use or strong enough to quit.  Why cry tears?  Amy Winehouse had all the resources in the world and was offered help to quit multiple times.  Partially because people cared about her but more likely because they could make a lot of money off of her.  And she enjoyed doing drugs more than signing.  We're supposed to mourn that?  A 27 year-old junkie named Amy in Middle America?  No one gives a sh*t about her.  She's getting no help what-so-ever.  No $$$.

You know who REALLY could have helped her.  Dr. Drew and Celebrity Rehab.  I mean, they've only lost, what?  Two this year?  Amy Fisher would be next anyhow.

THAT'S why everyone wants to be famous.  Because you can get away with anything and all your faults and weaknesses are "tragic" and "sad" post-mortem.

We don't have to worry about Pete Doherty anymore.  He's 32!

You know who really gets the shaft in the "Forever 27" club?  Robert Johnson.  The man made a deal with the DEVIL!  That's slightly more badass than bitching, whining and moaning about not being able to do a Bowie cover on "Unplugged."  And he influenced EVERYBODY.  Well, except for pasty-faced, over-educated, nerdy white boys who worship the Holy Trinity of Cave, Young and Tweedy. 

So the Venn Diagram of rock influences is Alex Chilton for the virgins.  Robert Johnson for everybody else.

Brian
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:30:54 pm by Brian_Wallace »

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #1518 on: July 26, 2011, 11:23:29 am »
More Nirvana music???

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?? I Would've blown my own brains out had I been sujected to that shit for much longer.

By the way...I just got an email from a dyslexic friend informing me someone died in an army warehouse in north London.....

Mobius

« Reply #1519 on: July 26, 2011, 11:50:40 am »
There's a difference between making more music and dying.  Some folks succesfully make a definitive statement and walk away when that's best for them, or when circumstances dictate.

I consider Johnny Rottens comment about Elvis to be a political statement relevant to a specific time and geared toward the opposition. . .intended to be controversial. . .not anything relevant to the pros and cons of the Sun Sessions.  That attitude led to the sacking of Matlock and the killing of the Sex Pistols . . .which secured their mythology so probably for the best

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1520 on: July 26, 2011, 01:12:47 pm »
Walkonby, you say Winehouse is a terrible psycopath, I say she is a tragic depressive. Some people just liked her music.  I say Phishs soulless goofy music is a worse crime than substance abuse and a death spiral of poisonous relationships.  Don't make purposefully offensive statements and then act like a victim.  Its embarrassing.

actually, my original thought process was the "hero worship" that was going on with her after her death.  i guess i have a shitty way of expressing my ideas.  i believe the same is true with with kurt and jim morrison.  in my opinion, when people are struggling to make house payments and feed their family and just survive . . . and you have a people blessed with such talents that most would kill for a chance to have, and these people just piss it away with drugs, a fuck you attitude and a life that seems to be "supported fully" by their fans, i get ticked off.

same goes with phish.  trey was becoming a huge drug addict with a huge ego and did what the fuck he wanted, and he was ruining the band.  then he hit bottom, cleaned up his act, and pulled off a huge comeback that has the band in top form.  i applaud that.  would winehouse have cleaned up her act?  who knows?  why do i care so much?  who knows.  i just find it a horrible thing that when elizabeth taylor died, one of the greatest stars and humanitarians of my lifetime died, she got what, 2 days top coverage on the news . . . and when a junkie dies, the press never stops.  that's all.  wasn't try to be a victim or make people mad.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #1521 on: July 26, 2011, 02:23:39 pm »
hahah im worshipped around here? ok im still laughing here. who the hell am i worshipped by? because i live and go to concerts in nyc - and used to see a ton at the 9:30. because i write rational responses without calling people names and acting like a 2 year old.

or is it because i talk here the way i talk to people IRL. If Im worshipped thats f'ing awesome. But Im exactly the same person  you see here, as you get irl. dont believe me - ask those that know me from here.

and since when did winehouse kill a bunch of people and eat them? how in the hell do you compare the two? Dahmer clearly had his own demons, but he did not get the death penalty and he did not kill himself with drugs or whatever. Someone else got to him first. Maybe you should try and compare apples to apples.

WTF is wrong with you. Someone died - yes she had drug problems galore, but it doesnt make it any less sad. She was someone's daughter and you should really just STFU. This is so unnecessary.

Maybe the lead singer of Phish can OD so we can have a field day and parade it around like this is the best day ever.

Show some compassion.

Ive long come to expect this kind of talk on BrooklynVegan, but I hoped it wouldnt contaminate this board too.

And she actually had TWO good albums, which is two more than Widespread Panic or Phish.

Chaz, you must live in the suburbs if you get such reliable trash service. Be sure the shop around though. We found another trash service in our neighborhood for much cheaper...so ours is now on Mon/Thurs instead of Tues/Fri.

suck a fat dick and overdose like your cunt hero.

all i did, was question the media coverage of a person who died.  like with michael jackson.  one day a villian, the next day a hero.  it is still going on.  then i was called names and told the music i like sucks and maybe the people who front the bands i like should die.  nice.  and then we have your comment . . . but you're worshipped around here, so i guess i'm in the wrong.  did you cry when jeffrey dahmer died?  i mean he had problems . . . but he was a person.  he was someone's son.
HeyLa

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #1522 on: July 26, 2011, 02:51:07 pm »

actually, my original thought process was the "hero worship" that was going on with her after her death.  i guess i have a shitty way of expressing my ideas.  i believe the same is true with with kurt and jim morrison.  in my opinion, when people are struggling to make house payments and feed their family and just survive . . . and you have a people blessed with such talents that most would kill for a chance to have, and these people just piss it away with drugs, a fuck you attitude and a life that seems to be "supported fully" by their fans, i get ticked off.

same goes with phish.  trey was becoming a huge drug addict with a huge ego and did what the fuck he wanted, and he was ruining the band.  then he hit bottom, cleaned up his act, and pulled off a huge comeback that has the band in top form.  i applaud that.  would winehouse have cleaned up her act?  who knows?  why do i care so much?  who knows.  i just find it a horrible thing that when elizabeth taylor died, one of the greatest stars and humanitarians of my lifetime died, she got what, 2 days top coverage on the news . . . and when a junkie dies, the press never stops.  that's all.  wasn't try to be a victim or make people mad.

Phish? Top form? The bar for that is lower than a submarine shithouse...

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1523 on: July 26, 2011, 04:34:14 pm »
hahah im worshipped around here? ok im still laughing here. who the hell am i worshipped by? because i live and go to concerts in nyc - and used to see a ton at the 9:30. because i write rational responses without calling people names and acting like a 2 year old.

or is it because i talk here the way i talk to people IRL. If Im worshipped thats f'ing awesome. But Im exactly the same person  you see here, as you get irl. dont believe me - ask those that know me from here.

and since when did winehouse kill a bunch of people and eat them? how in the hell do you compare the two? Dahmer clearly had his own demons, but he did not get the death penalty and he did not kill himself with drugs or whatever. Someone else got to him first. Maybe you should try and compare apples to apples.

WTF is wrong with you. Someone died - yes she had drug problems galore, but it doesnt make it any less sad. She was someone's daughter and you should really just STFU. This is so unnecessary.

Maybe the lead singer of Phish can OD so we can have a field day and parade it around like this is the best day ever.

Show some compassion.

Ive long come to expect this kind of talk on BrooklynVegan, but I hoped it wouldnt contaminate this board too.

And she actually had TWO good albums, which is two more than Widespread Panic or Phish.

Chaz, you must live in the suburbs if you get such reliable trash service. Be sure the shop around though. We found another trash service in our neighborhood for much cheaper...so ours is now on Mon/Thurs instead of Tues/Fri.

all i did, was question the media coverage of a person who died.  like with michael jackson.  one day a villian, the next day a hero.  it is still going on.  then i was called names and told the music i like sucks and maybe the people who front the bands i like should die.  nice.  and then we have your comment . . . but you're worshipped around here, so i guess i'm in the wrong.  did you cry when jeffrey dahmer died?  i mean he had problems . . . but he was a person.  he was someone's son.

in real life . . . do you say "irl", or "in real life"? what about wtf and stfu?  and does saying "Maybe the lead singer of Phish can OD so we can have a field day and parade it around like this is the best day ever" make you better than a 2 year old?  and i compared dahmer to winehouse, because according to you, death is death and people should be sad about it.  sorry my logic goes over your nyc head.  maybe you need to go to another concert . . . and ponder it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:36:12 pm by walkonby »

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #1524 on: July 26, 2011, 04:36:54 pm »
i just find it a horrible thing that when elizabeth taylor died, one of the greatest stars and humanitarians of my lifetime died, she got what, 2 days top coverage on the news . . . and when a junkie dies, the press never stops.  that's all.  wasn't try to be a victim or make people mad.

"The other week, ABC and CBS led with Elizabeth Taylor's death for the whole first slug. That's unconscion­able. It's not like she was struck down in her prime. They named a sandwich after her at ­Cedars-Sinai ? she was there a lot."

- Bill Maher

Brian

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #1525 on: July 26, 2011, 04:48:27 pm »
i just find it a horrible thing that when elizabeth taylor died, one of the greatest stars and humanitarians of my lifetime died, she got what, 2 days top coverage on the news . . . and when a junkie dies, the press never stops.  that's all.  wasn't try to be a victim or make people mad.

"The other week, ABC and CBS led with Elizabeth Taylor's death for the whole first slug. That's unconscion­able. It's not like she was struck down in her prime. They named a sandwich after her at ­Cedars-Sinai ? she was there a lot."

- Bill Maher

Brian

I for one, will have a right old shindig when Maher croaks.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #1526 on: July 26, 2011, 05:09:17 pm »
yes your logic went so far over my head. Clearly living in liberal NYC and going to concerts I cant understand your logic.

So heres this for logic IRL - I wouldnt have to say in real life because Id be talking to you. Id then be saying to your face 'youre a fucking asshole and kindly leave me alone.' Trust me, Ive already told friends to STFU (but yes i like to use shorthand when Im online - god forbid), or as youd say 'shut the fuck up' because I dont think her death is cause for celebration of any sorts.

I never said anyone should be sad about her death - I said it was sad that she died. Sure people who knew her or who could relate to her were sad. And they have every right to be. It was sad - it was tragic. Shes 27 years old and had a life ahead of her and hopefully some new great music (and no I was never a fan - although she had one hell of a voice).

Sorry if I cant fit into some fucking mold that you paint others into. And Id gladly tell anyone who was going on about Winehouse's death and make some apt comparison to their favorite band. My point is - just because shes not your favorite singer doesnt give anyone reason to celebrate. Nor would it be any more funny for me to celebrate if Trey ODs. Either way, you obviously missed my point.

With that being said - Im done with this conversation.
If you wish to have any sort of civilized conversation send me an email.

Show some compassion.

in real life . . . do you say "irl", or "in real life"? what about wtf and stfu?  and does saying "Maybe the lead singer of Phish can OD so we can have a field day and parade it around like this is the best day ever" make you better than a 2 year old?  and i compared dahmer to winehouse, because according to you, death is death and people should be sad about it.  sorry my logic goes over your nyc head.  maybe you need to go to another concert . . . and ponder it.
HeyLa

azaghal1981

« Reply #1527 on: July 27, 2011, 12:04:37 am »
I do agree with Walkies on the fact that people (more specifically, musicians) who die due to recklessness/suicide/other misadventure that can be attributed to his/her drama filled life do get a gratuitous amount of attention while people who were known for their music and only their music are lucky to get a mention in the mainstream news media at all. Three examples that quickly come to mind are Trish Kenan, Jack Rose and Clarence Clemons. The first two and their deaths received coverage from plenty of music press outlets and Rose got a couple nice stories on NPR but that was pretty much it. Maybe Keenan got a little press in the British media? Clemons got a little bit more but only because he played an integral role in one of the biggest bands in the world. Still, the attention he received pales in comparison to that of Winehouse. I cannot help but wonder if her fame is due more to her drama/drug filled life than her talents. Would she have gotten much attention in 2006-07 if her first hit single wasn't about her offstage demons? She kind of was a dime a dozen as far as soul singers go; why did her music receive more attention/sales/awards than say, Sharon Jones? Sorry to go off on a tangent but I have been pondering these questions about her fame since "Rehab" first came out.
احمد

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #1528 on: July 27, 2011, 09:47:42 am »
Probably because most people are obsessed with watching people fall from grace. I read this article recently (not sure which newspaper/magazine) about the 'new' rising actresses and they said they were all a bit boring since they had no drug/sex scandals to report on. (Emma Watson, Emma Roberts, Emma Stone - thats a lot of Emmas). The paper then said they hoped that Lindsay Lohan had more drama soon so thered be something exciting to report.

Its quite sad that most people wanna read about all this rather than giving someone their dues to actual talent. Im now onto day 3 of the free papers in NYC and theyre still coming up with more stories. Are we that slow in entertainment news - that this is the only story worth reporting on?

I do agree with Walkies on the fact that people (more specifically, musicians) who die due to recklessness/suicide/other misadventure that can be attributed to his/her drama filled life do get a gratuitous amount of attention while people who were known for their music and only their music are lucky to get a mention in the mainstream news media at all. Three examples that quickly come to mind are Trish Kenan, Jack Rose and Clarence Clemons. The first two and their deaths received coverage from plenty of music press outlets and Rose got a couple nice stories on NPR but that was pretty much it. Maybe Keenan got a little press in the British media? Clemons got a little bit more but only because he played an integral role in one of the biggest bands in the world. Still, the attention he received pales in comparison to that of Winehouse. I cannot help but wonder if her fame is due more to her drama/drug filled life than her talents. Would she have gotten much attention in 2006-07 if her first hit single wasn't about her offstage demons? She kind of was a dime a dozen as far as soul singers go; why did her music receive more attention/sales/awards than say, Sharon Jones? Sorry to go off on a tangent but I have been pondering these questions about her fame since "Rehab" first came out.

HeyLa

azaghal1981

« Reply #1529 on: July 27, 2011, 10:57:44 am »
Impose Magazine just tweeted this: Man, if we were a smart publication, we would run as many Amy Winehouse stories as possible. Like EVERY OTHER PLACE.
#exploitdeathmuch
احمد